Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC odor removal and cleaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2013 P85 and it stinks every time I put it on recirc air. I changed the in-cabin air filter and it still smells like mold. Can you tell me how you treated the evaporator coil from the drain line? And what did you use to treat the coils? Can't find any youtube videos on the location of the evaporator coils and the service manual isn't much help either.

It wasn’t easy, but the drain line can be accessed by either removing the frunk liner or by removing the driver footwell panel. If you have the cold weather package, supposedly the driver footwell access point is not available due to a extra breaker panel. I removed the driver footwell panel along the side of the center console area. There is a rubber hose there (the drain) that connects to the evaporator housing. I was able to get the hose off (much cursing involved) and then shot a can of Klima into the coils from there.

Some info:Musty "Locker Room" Odor

It wasn’t easy, but the drain line can be accessed by either removing the frunk liner or by removing the driver footwell panel. If you have the cold weather package, supposedly the driver footwell access point is not available due to a extra breaker panel. I removed the driver footwell panel along the side of the center console area. There is a rubber hose there (the drain) that connects to the evaporator housing. I was able to get the hose off (much cursing involved) and then shot a can of Klima into the coils from there.

Some info:Musty "Locker Room" Odor
Nice! This is exactly what I'm looking for. I do have the cold weather package though... I'll still take apart the driver footwell first to see how accessible it is. If not, I'll try going through the frunk liner. Worst come worst I may just spray it through the vents...

Also, that's a nifty borescope too! I might get one to look inside the vents! Thanks!

Reactions: Az_Rael
Ozone or Ozium? They're very different things. One requires a machine and the other comes in a spray bottle(can).
Ozone - I have this machine - https://amzn.to/3dvf3Nj

Definitely go easy with ozone. It's supposed to dissipate quickly, but I find in some areas it does not. Perhaps an order left over from the reactions. Either way, go easy.

Also, it's not good for people, animals, or plants so the usual disclaimers apply.

The ozone generators are also great for sanitizing indoors (closed off rooms that then need to be vented and not used by living things - humans, pets, plants - for an hour after) for viruses (hint hint), bacteria, mold spores, mold.

Rubber, plastic, vinyl dont respond too well to prolonged treatment... especially with the 11-20K mg machines... and I have the same one, a few of them actually.

Last year I had the smell. I did not do the spray clean out. All I did was change the filters and then NOT use the Recirc button. A few weeks ago I hit AUTO without thinking.... and then some time after I noticed the Faintest of that smell. So I just make sure I have it on fresh aire since that feature that should dry it out is apparently not working for me.

Part of the trick to keep this at bay after last years' software update which keeps the fan going a bit after AC use, parking etc. is:

a. whenever possible switch from auto or manual AC mode to fan only (and ideally toggle temp to low) for the last 5-10 min of driving at speed. This helps the evaporator dry off and clear our the system of excess moisture.

b. refrain from using climate control in cooling mode and cabin overheat protection, if either runs for extended periods of time.

Part of the trick to keep this at bay after last years' software update which keeps the fan going a bit after AC use, parking etc. is:

a. whenever possible switch from auto or manual AC mode to fan only (and ideally toggle temp to low) for the last 5-10 min of driving at speed. This helps the evaporator dry off and clear our the system of excess moisture.
I think this may actually be counterproductive, since it appears to prevent Tesla's automatic "dry cycle" from activating after you park the car, because the car apparently thinks you didn't use the A/C.

Nice! This is exactly what I'm looking for. I do have the cold weather package though... I'll still take apart the driver footwell first to see how accessible it is. If not, I'll try going through the frunk liner. Worst come worst I may just spray it through the vents...

Also, that's a nifty borescope too! I might get one to look inside the vents! Thanks!

@BPub - how'd you fare? I am also running into the same scenario - vinegar smell coming through vents after car has sat for a while - but goes away quickly. I too have the cold weather package. I replaced my air filter and tried spraying some of the cleaning foam into the area where the filter came out of (after removing the housing). It fixed the problem for about a week, but now it is back. It is difficult to find information regarding this topic specifically for the Model S since clearly the Model 3 is heavily plagued with this issue..

Nope. It's now been roughly a year since I used the cleaner and changed the filters, and the smell hasn't returned. I think Tesla's software mitigation works well as long as you start with a clean filter box. I use the A/C normally (including occasional recirculation).

is there some sort of trick to make their drying cycle run? i did the filter swap and coil cleaning literally less than a month ago, and my car just started smelling again tonight. when i pulled into my garage, i intentionally stood there for a minute after getting out of the car... and it definitely did not run the fan at all. as soon as i plugged the car in, everything shut off.

I just posted the following in another thread related to AC odor, so thought it might be useful/helpful to some to re-post it here...

Here is some information that might help those of you who are still struggling with this odor/smell.

I too recently did the foam cleaning and cabin filter change myself. It definitely eliminated the smell. However, the smell I had prior to this service was not the moldy/musty smell that most everyone has been describing. My smell was more chemical in nature. Hard to describe exactly, but it was definitely noticeable. Thankfully, the smell only stuck around for the first 10 seconds or so after I initially turned on the cabin fan and/or AC. After that, the smell would completely dissipate/disappear. I took delivery of my vehicle almost 1 year ago (in early August 2019) and started noticing this chemical smell about 2 months ago.

When I called my local Tesla SC to order the OEM cabin filter, they thought it was a bit unusual to change the cabin filter so soon. So, I described the problem/smell to them. They looked up my VIN and quickly came back to inform me that Tesla has a newer/updated part for the HVAC system. It is called an "inner duct plenum" and is supposed to improve drainage in the HVAC system. I guess the "older" inner duct plenum design did not allow for complete/proper drainage of the condensate. So, this may be what is causing the smell to return for some or many Model 3 owners. My vehicle was built in July 2019. So, I do not know exactly when Tesla starting using this newer/updated "inner duct plenum" part in their production.

Attached is a copy of the Service Order from my local SC, which describes/shows the optional quote for the inner duct plenum (see line item #2). As you can see, the part itself is very inexpensive ($11) and labor to install is also inexpensive/reasonable at just $58. This can be done by Tesla mobile service. Therefore, I presume it would be a relatively easy DIY job for those who want to avoid the $58 labor charge.

I have decided to wait & see if my particular chemical smell returns. If it does return, then I'll probably either have Tesla change the inner duct plenum or buy the part and do it myself.

Hope this helps some and good luck!!

Capture.JPG

I just posted the following in another thread related to AC odor, so thought it might be useful/helpful to some to re-post it here...

Here is some information that might help those of you who are still struggling with this odor/smell.

I too recently did the foam cleaning and cabin filter change myself. It definitely eliminated the smell. However, the smell I had prior to this service was not the moldy/musty smell that most everyone has been describing. My smell was more chemical in nature. Hard to describe exactly, but it was definitely noticeable. Thankfully, the smell only stuck around for the first 10 seconds or so after I initially turned on the cabin fan and/or AC. After that, the smell would completely dissipate/disappear. I took delivery of my vehicle almost 1 year ago (in early August 2019) and started noticing this chemical smell about 2 months ago.

When I called my local Tesla SC to order the OEM cabin filter, they thought it was a bit unusual to change the cabin filter so soon. So, I described the problem/smell to them. They looked up my VIN and quickly came back to inform me that Tesla has a newer/updated part for the HVAC system. It is called an "inner duct plenum" and is supposed to improve drainage in the HVAC system. I guess the "older" inner duct plenum design did not allow for complete/proper drainage of the condensate. So, this may be what is causing the smell to return for some or many Model 3 owners. My vehicle was built in July 2019. So, I do not know exactly when Tesla starting using this newer/updated "inner duct plenum" part in their production.

Attached is a copy of the Service Order from my local SC, which describes/shows the optional quote for the inner duct plenum (see line item #2). As you can see, the part itself is very inexpensive ($11) and labor to install is also inexpensive/reasonable at just $58. This can be done by Tesla mobile service. Therefore, I presume it would be a relatively easy DIY job for those who want to avoid the $58 labor charge.

I have decided to wait & see if my particular chemical smell returns. If it does return, then I'll probably either have Tesla change the inner duct plenum or buy the part and do it myself.

View attachment 561602
Well thanks for the info, as I cleaned and replaced filters about 6 months ago and noticed recently that the musty odor is slowly returning. My car is early vin so I'm going to show your receipt to my mobile friend and get it done!

View attachment 561602

Shouldn't that new part(plenum) be covered under warranty?

is there some sort of trick to make their drying cycle run? i did the filter swap and coil cleaning literally less than a month ago, and my car just started smelling again tonight. when i pulled into my garage, i intentionally stood there for a minute after getting out of the car... and it definitely did not run the fan at all. as soon as i plugged the car in, everything shut off.
It should start about 10-15 minutes after parking the car.

Shouldn't that new part(plenum) be covered under warranty?

Personally, I think it should be covered under warranty, but can also understand and accept why Tesla may not... It doesn’t sound like this AC odor issue effects 100% of all Model 3 owners out there with the older inner duct plenum design. So, one cannot definitely say that the older plenum design is the sole culprit for the smell. So, I can accept this newer part as just one of those things that a typical manufacturer will do/introduce over time to improve their product.

Of course, it never hurts to ask your local SC if they will cover it under warranty or as a courtesy. I suspect they will say no, but you never know...

Reactions: TheOtherPete