Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC odor removal and cleaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My March 2018 Model 3 developed the AC odor about 6 months ago but I just lived with it since it became less of an issue as the weather got cooler. I've been meaning to do the cabin filter replacement and evaporator cleaning and finally had time to do it the other day. The whole thing took about an hour, including the 20-25 minutes of waiting for the foam cleanser to work.

I'm sure there are engineering reasons for why the air filter slot ended up where it is. The access to it is more difficult than it needs to be and every step of the process was more annoying than it should have been. I'm no gear head, but handy enough and tackling things like this usually don't bother me.

The side carpet panel couldn't have been designed to be removable without having to take down the panel under the glove box? I had to leave the glove box panel dangling by the wires during the process because the one attached to the LED was incredibly stubborn and would not come off (and I've done the DIY LED exchange in the rest of the cabin, so I know how easily the wire should detach).

They couldn't put the T20 screw at the bottom of the air filter cover where reaching it would be so much easier and wouldn't require a ratchet with space for only like 20 degrees of movement? Thankfully, I didn't drop the screw, but there is a pretty big hole into the center console area where it could have been easily lost.

The replacement filters wouldn't slide easily into the slot and fall into the compartment like the videos show. They required a lot of rocking and jiggling them back and forth to get them to go into place. Maybe the ones I got were warped or something.

Putting it all back together was no easy task too, especially trying to get the glove box panel aligned the right away. I still don't think I got it on right because no matter what I did, it would not go back on flush. It locked into place with the tabs and trim clips, at least.

I thought I read it was something like $140 for Tesla service to do it. The filters plus cleaner were around $50, so $90 to save my neck, back, and an hour of my time suddenly seems pretty reasonable. Plus they could done it at my work parking lot where I wouldn't have had to worry about the cleanser dripping out of the drainage system and potentially staining my driveway.

Anyway, so far the car smells a lot better, so hopefully it will last for a while.
I paid $133 and it was worth every penny.

For those of you who were successful at getting rid of the AC smell, did you only change out the filters or did you also use the spray foam cleaner? Tesla service recommended only changing the filters.

Don’t mind doing it myself....save a few $$’s.

Thanks in advance.

For those of you who were successful at getting rid of the AC smell, did you only change out the filters or did you also use the spray foam cleaner? Tesla service recommended only changing the filters.

Don’t mind doing it myself....save a few $$’s.

Thanks in advance.

Just do both. The hard part is already done if you've taken everything apart to get to the filters.

Thanks for the thread, having this on our 3, ordered filters from Tesla where they just appeared today if you’ve not noticed the articles. Finally can order direct at $17 each. Perhaps to decrease the SC visits for this issue?! :D

Will be trying this process with Kool-It as the old standard seems to out of stock online everywhere.

On the Ozone generator, we used one on a new (to is) house to eliminate smoking odors and that worked well. Not sure how use in an enclosed space would effect materials like the dash and Ultrafabric.

Reactions: IsthataTesl.a?
Thanks for the thread, having this on our 3, ordered filters from Tesla where they just appeared today if you’ve not noticed the articles. Finally can order direct at $17 each. Perhaps to decrease the SC visits for this issue?! :D

Will be trying this process with Kool-It as the old standard seems to out of stock online everywhere.

On the Ozone generator, we used one on a new (to is) house to eliminate smoking odors and that worked well. Not sure how use in an enclosed space would effect materials like the dash and Ultrafabric.
Ozone was fine for me. Just go easy. Try a small amount and increase as needed.

I agree 100% with SDkoala’s comments about changing out the filters. Almost need to be a contortionist to perform this task. And I think Tesla really messed up on the design of this filter location and accessibility.
Pleased to report, however, after doing the filter swap and Kool-it treatment, the odor has not returned after more than 2 months now. Only time will tell.

I will note that my 3 is a 10/2018 build and has about 16k miles. And I could not believe how dirty the filters were. The filters on my ICE cars don’t get changed for 3-5 years and they’re not even that dirty. Maybe the aerodynamics of the car channel more airflow through the filters? Not sure but this may be why the smell is so bad on these cars.

But yeah, not a very fun task to do but definitely doable and saves a bunch of $$’s.

Reactions: SDKoala
Pleased to report, however, after doing the filter swap and Kool-it treatment, the odor has not returned after more than 2 months now. Only time will tell.

I replaced the filters and used the cleaner just over 6 months ago and there hasn’t been a hint of any odor since. I will be changing the filters and doing the cleaning every 2 years going forward though, foul smell or not.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
I agree 100% with SDkoala’s comments about changing out the filters. Almost need to be a contortionist to perform this task. And I think Tesla really messed up on the design of this filter location and accessibility.

I will note that my 3 is a 10/2018 build and has about 16k miles. And I could not believe how dirty the filters were. The filters on my ICE cars don’t get changed for 3-5 years and they’re not even that dirty. Maybe the aerodynamics of the car channel more airflow through the filters? Not sure but this may be why the smell is so bad on these cars.

But yeah, not a very fun task to do but definitely doable and saves a bunch of $$’s.

yes. German cars do it on purpose but for a company that does not want to use service as a profit center, they've made this basic service task hard to do.

Well I lost the screw.. it fell back in there. Thank goodness no rattles or short circuits. I now have he cover gorilla taped. LOL Next filter change I will let them do or see if I can buy a screw unless someone knows what size to use here. I have a March 2018 model.

Jesus christ this *sugar* took me 20 minutes even studying prior to this install.
I am not a mechanic or tool person so I'm sure MOST of you guys will have a better time than myself. Like I am the type to call someone to build a IKEA desk.

Anyways, The biggest thing is buy a t20 flexible screwdriver, I had the manual tool where I have to keep clicking slowly with such a difficult angle (took so long, because I was going counterclockwise but this switch will make the screw go clockwise). Yes j know, rookie noob mistake.
This was a tough install but I guess I saved the install fee. 39k miles 8/18 LR RWD and my filter was pretty dirty and I dont even use a/c unless it's like 90+.
I actually skipped the step of the low section of the glove department, I removed the 3 screws and pulled it but didnt remove the 2 wires. Still worked.

Anyways if I do this again just gotta make sure I have a easier time unscrewing that t20 bolt (such a small area).

Attachments

• 20200310_185727.jpg
    20200310_185727.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: Aellinsar
I had the opposite experience with my 2013 classic P85. Stunk to high heaven. Had the service center address it a couple of times to no avail. Finally pulled off the drain line and treated the evaporator coils myself one day. That worked much better. All the classic S loaners I used to get were smelly too, but our AP1 S seems fine. So maybe they changed something when they did the AP update?

I have 2013 P85 and it stinks every time I put it on recirc air. I changed the in-cabin air filter and it still smells like mold. Can you tell me how you treated the evaporator coil from the drain line? And what did you use to treat the coils? Can't find any youtube videos on the location of the evaporator coils and the service manual isn't much help either.