Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accelerating in a Corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else notice the car limiting acceleration during and shortly after a hard corner?

In my old car (Infiniti G37S), if I floored it while making a sharp turn I would get a satisfying squeal of the tires, my back end would slip out a bit, and I'd have full acceleration throughout the turn and afterwards.

The same move with the Model S is much less exhilarating. It feels like the car is holding me back. Not sure if it's the stability/traction control. I confess I am not looking at my dashboard when I try this - I'm looking at the road. I assume the traction control is coming on because I get very little slip of the tires. My main issue is that the acceleration is quite limited during the corner and for about half a second after the turn is complete. Then, with the accelerator still floored, I feel the full power engage and I get the nice boost. I want my boost back during the corner though. :)

Am I dreaming this behavior, or is the car limiting it's power?

No lectures on safe/immature driving please... I drive very safely and occasionally like to punch it from zero when there's no traffic ahead. I did get the Performance for a reason.

I've noticed that too. Power is definitely limited if you floor-it while turning sharp at a corner. I suspect that this is the traction control keeping me safe, but I haven't tried with it off to confirm. I also notice that flooring from a stop ramps up the acceleration with a noticeable increase around 10mph. Again I suspect this is traction control testing the grip and keeping the wheels from spinning. The P85 is scary fast, so I'm fine with these safety features.

No not drifting... Just making a plain old right turn with the accelerator floored. I don't get the same acceleration I would if I was going straight with the accelerator floored. I can feel the car limiting the power throughout the turn and even after I've straightened out for a short time. Only after I'm driving straight for a second or so do I feel the full power kick in.

I love the acceleration in the car, but I have to admit this particular maneuver stinks. My G37S gave me way more freedom, even with the traction control on. The S is limiting the power even after there is no danger of the tires slipping - making the whole cornering thing somewhat underwhelming.

I have yet to turn off traction control on the car - I should probably try that one day. I'm somewhat scared to. :) I kinda wish there was a "sport" mode where it didn't kick in until later. I'm not trying to do donuts or anything, I just want my full power in a turn. Maybe let my back end slide a little bit. I'm not a huge car nerd so I'm not sure what's going on technically, but the traction control on my G was just about perfect in this situation, whereas the S is way too conservative.

Actually, I wonder if the problem is that the traction control is coming on at the right time but is then STAYING on for too long afterwards. It's stopping me from spinning out, which is good, but then limits the power for way too long after the "dangerous" part of the turn is over.

Where I notice it the most is I stomp on it from the light in the turn lane and soon as I get into the turn the power drops. Based on driving other cars, the S seems fairly conservative in power available in the turn.

No not drifting... Just making a plain old right turn with the accelerator floored. I don't get the same acceleration I would if I was going straight with the accelerator floored. I can feel the car limiting the power throughout the turn and even after I've straightened out for a short time. Only after I'm driving straight for a second or so do I feel the full power kick in.

I love the acceleration in the car, but I have to admit this particular maneuver stinks. My G37S gave me way more freedom, even with the traction control on. The S is limiting the power even after there is no danger of the tires slipping - making the whole cornering thing somewhat underwhelming.

I have yet to turn off traction control on the car - I should probably try that one day. I'm somewhat scared to. :) I kinda wish there was a "sport" mode where it didn't kick in until later. I'm not trying to do donuts or anything, I just want my full power in a turn. Maybe let my back end slide a little bit. I'm not a huge car nerd so I'm not sure what's going on technically, but the traction control on my G was just about perfect in this situation, whereas the S is way too conservative.

Actually, I wonder if the problem is that the traction control is coming on at the right time but is then STAYING on for too long afterwards. It's stopping me from spinning out, which is good, but then limits the power for way too long after the "dangerous" part of the turn is over.

This car has a lot of power and instant torque. It is keeping you (and the company) safe. Imagine if 20% of the vehicles sold caused an accident, even if single car? I would imagine that many, if not most, of the drivers of the Model S are inexperienced with high performance cars and/or racing techniques.

Last edited:
I understand it's a safety feature. It just seems too conservative. My old G37S seemed to handle this much better and was not unsafe. I think what it might need is a "Sport" mode that gives you some more freedom. I believe other high end cars have that option. (The Porsche Panamera video I just watched in another post has it).

I understand it's a safety feature. It just seems too conservative. My old G37S seemed to handle this much better and was not unsafe. I think what it might need is a "Sport" mode that gives you some more freedom. I believe other high end cars have that option. (The Porsche Panamera video I just watched in another post has it).

I don't think you understand the power and torque differences between the two cars.

But I suggest trying the same maneuver with TC turned off.
Make 90 degree right turn and put the pedal to the metal.

(If you don't have practice with that maneuver, make sure to do it some place with sufficient run-off for when you spin...)

That said, it's pretty common for Hi-performance cars to have the ability to tune the aggression of the traction control and stability control system. Usually it's one of the main things controlled by the "sport -> touring" dial. My corvette has an option to turn the stability control down (and the traction control off). My friend's ZR1 has something like 6 settings for how aggressive the stability control is (off -> nanny)

I'm a former G37 owner - traded it for the Model S. The G37 is reasonably fast, but doesn't have anything like the torque of the Model S.

Yup. That doesn't mean the traction control has to be any more conservative though. I'm actually not convinced it's the traction control, which I assume is just stopping the wheels from losing grip. I think it might be the stability control which as I understand you can't turn off without pulling fuses.

I've been too much of a wimp to turn off the TC so far. I'll try it next time I have some free space to play. I don't want to be an idiot and get curb rash on my baby. I just want a little bit of wiggle in the rear. :)

It's the traction control. I know the sensation you're talking about when punching it around corners. I did a track day earlier this year and on the wet figure 8 it was really pronounced. I turned off traction control and woah boy did I see why TC does what it does. Give it a try sometime... when you've got plenty of room around. Say, about one length of the car to either side of you. ;-)

Yup. That doesn't mean the traction control has to be any more conservative though. I'm actually not convinced it's the traction control, which I assume is just stopping the wheels from losing grip. I think it might be the stability control

The stability control engages when the centre line of the car doesn't match the steering angle. It's the traction control.

Does the Model S have some kind of limited slip? Electronic or mechanical. Just wondering.

Judging from the Consumer Report Drift Video with lots of smoke it seems to me that turning the TC off leaves you alone with all the torque. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.....:)

Is there some kind of Sport Mode with higher Intervention Levels?