Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any uptick in trade in value for acceleration boost through Tesla, KBB, carmax or other companies?

I will most likely trade in my model 3 awd for a Cybertruck when they are available. It would be nice if this $2000 expense helped the cars value when I trade it in.

Given the option has only existed for less than 6 months, and the most recent 2-3 months of it during a pandemic, I don't think there's any useful data on that question available.

Because there's no evidence that the motor in the LR RWD vehicles is capable of putting out more power.

There is absolute evidence.

It’s the same rear motor. Additionally, Tesla borked an update a few months ago that really boosted performance. Then it vanished with a subsequent update about two weeks later.

AWD front motor is used WAY less than its thought to be operating. Glad they are improving the output for everyone.

Anyways, tired of their BS games. Where’s my 325 miles that were added the removed again? How about the reduced 0-60 speeds? Am I going to get those back? VIN in the low 8000’s

Love my car, just don’t like being stepped on as an early adopter.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: arghx7

It’s the same rear motor. Additionally, Tesla borked an update a few months ago that really boosted performance. Then it vanished with a subsequent update about two weeks later.

AWD front motor is used WAY less than its thought to be operating. Glad they are improving the output for everyone.

Anyways, tired of their BS games. Where’s my 325 miles that were added the removed again? How about the reduced 0-60 speeds? Am I going to get those back? VIN in the low 8000’s

Love my car, just don’t like being stepped on as an early adopter.
You bring up an interesting point. I have a stealth from August 2018. Got 3.04 0-60 in December with not a really warmed up battery. And can’t get near that anymore. I wonder if what you’re saying applies to stealths. This was after the 2nd Free 5% boost for the 3.04s

It’s the same rear motor.

Ok.

But it's already at roughly the same output as the P3D is.

Just the P has a whole additional motor adding a bunch more power.

So no, there's no evidence at all supporting the idea there's more power to be had- just the opposite in fact.

RWD launch limit

Check the last post, which mentions this very thing from data available.

How about the reduced 0-60 speeds?

Got some Draggy runs from before/after? Or canbus or dyno data from before after?

Because I've seen a number of folks claim "update made my car slower" from various 3 configs- but never any data to support the claim.

Is there are wiki somewhere for this thread? Hard to find where people have actual torque and HP numbers etc. Not to mention all the power tweaks since I have owned this AWD Model 3 since September 2018. Actually is there a useful wiki anywhere for the model 3?

Is there are wiki somewhere for this thread? Hard to find where people have actual torque and HP numbers etc. Not to mention all the power tweaks since I have owned this AWD Model 3 since September 2018. Actually is there a useful wiki anywhere for the model 3?

Not that I know of. Wugz on reddit probably has the most useful data of the power graphs and changes after updates. I've got a few linked in my google doc (see row 10) but you can look back through his posts in the last year or so and find many of them.

• Helpful
Reactions: Atari2600

That's got draggy measured times, plus WUGZ canbus data for peak HP for each change on both LR AWD and P.

LRAWD2.png

That's got draggy measured times, plus WUGZ canbus data for peak HP for each change on both LR AWD and P.

View attachment 546616

That last powerbump on the P3D didn't do much for 0-60 but i definitely felt it did good things on the higher end as evidenced by the increase in trap. The CANBUS power data seems to be very different than the advertised Tesla horsepower. Is it optimistic or does Tesla measure it a different way?

Correct, they don't advertise horsepower figures. @Apprunner the only thing they advertise are 0-60 times, which have not been updated to reflect the more recent free power bump. So essentially P3D owners are mostly getting 3.2, but 1' rollout times are closer to 3 seconds flat. AWD+ owners are getting 3.7, even though Tesla reports it as 3.9 - both non-rollout times.

When they originally tested the cars, they all said 450hp so I assumed Tesla guided them to that horsepower figure.

Who is "they", what testing did they do, and why would they need guidance if they did testing?

If the actual figure was about 530hp, you'd think Elon would have corrected the mags immediately. I've seen dynos get less than 500hp so some inefficiency from battery to drivetrain?

Also the car not being set up for dyno testing- the existence of a dyno mode only became public (found hidden in an EPA document) earlier this year.

I've had a draggy and canbus cable(I actually have both types for model 3) for 6 months or more and have not used anything a single time. I need to go use this stuff.

In that chart I do not see any power being taken away? Also, wugz on Reddit does posts some good info.