Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone purchased this yet? Do you feel it's worth it going from 4.4 to 3.9 0-60 or whatever it is?

Just to clear up the #s though-

The AWD without this (but with the 2 5% bumps) actually does from calibrated testing 4.1 without rollout and 3.9 with rollout (and with rollout is how the P is advertised, but not the non-Ps- Tesla's deceptive in this practice and the only car company that does it).

With the update it's roughly 0.4 quicker on both... (several folks so far getting 3.7-something without rollout and 3.4-something with rollout)

1/4 mile drops down to around 11.8 per draggy testing by at least 1 user so far.

If that's "worth it" to you or not will obviously vary from person to person.

Is there a date (or a VIN from) on 980 to 990 transition?

Not one known publicly that I'm aware of... (and tesla doesn't build in exact VIN order anyway)

The earliest reports of 990s in AWD in the US were April 2019 I think (though there were still spotty reports of 980s for another couple months showing up).

The earliest reports of 990s in AWD in europe was January 2019 I think.

There is no separate part number for this “special” motor. That should tell you all right there.

Not only that- the catalog explicitly says you don't need to provide a VIN to order a replacement one of this part- which you would have to do if there was some sooper-sekrit code to insure the "special" ones went to Ps and the 'regular' ones didn't.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
In fact it’s only a matter of time before this one gets lost in those depths as well. It was a good try though.

Much better than having 30 different threads on the same topic as was in process of happening. This way everyone can go back and forth all they want about "whether its worth it" or complaints on price of it, or speculation on motor differences, whatever, without completely overrunning the forum with 30 threads on the same basic topic.

It's not a physical difference

It just means they left it running longer on the bench.

Except yes, there is. And has been for quite a long time.

The actual physical part in an AWD and a P (prior to early this year) is the exact same part in the Tesla parts catalog

In early 2019 the AWD was changed to a different part- so it's no longer the same.

We don't know the details of what is different (though it's pretty clear the new part is both cheaper, and less capable of handling P power).

But prior to that change we know for a fact the parts were the same because Tesla explicitly tells you that via the parts catalog and owners having physically posted pics of their rear drive units in the other thread.

Except there is- and not just the above- but the numerous folks who showed up to buy a P3D-, got delivered an AWD, and had it changed into a P with just a software update... (all of these were AWD cars built with the "original" rear part number of course).

Expounding on speculation and proof are not the same things. You can yet again go back through the thousands and thousands and thousands of speculative post on this issue but the truth is all we have are layers of that speculation, like most of our discussions here..........

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Will2710
Don't pay for them and enjoy the car you had when you bought it. If you are being charged for connectivity, you should have known that when you bought the car. It was pretty clear in the builder you had a limited trial for that. The rest are extras that weren't even available when you bought the car. I'm happy they aren't just saying "2020 cars have a performance boost and go 3.9 now, and old cars can't upgrade to FSD" That is what the other car companies do
Disagree on that one...

when I bought the car in Dec 2018 there was an option to pay for autopilot features but no option to pay for full autopilot...I had assumed I bought the full thing. Unless you had done extensive research you would not have understood you were buying a non-complete function. There are others out there like me...we didn’t spend hours researching the car, rather, we decided on a Monday that we wanted a new car and bought it on Tuesday...

the no AM radio was sold to me as - just use TUNEin...the sales person in the store didn’t tell me that I’d be paying $10 a month for it after a year

• Informative
Reactions: omkar
It's not a physical difference

It just means they left it running longer on the bench.

Except yes, there is. And has been for quite a long time.

The actual physical part in an AWD and a P (prior to early this year) is the exact same part in the Tesla parts catalog

In early 2019 the AWD was changed to a different part- so it's no longer the same.

We don't know the details of what is different (though it's pretty clear the new part is both cheaper, and less capable of handling P power).

But prior to that change we know for a fact the parts were the same because Tesla explicitly tells you that via the parts catalog and owners having physically posted pics of their rear drive units in the other thread.

Except there is- and not just the above- but the numerous folks who showed up to buy a P3D-, got delivered an AWD, and had it changed into a P with just a software update... (all of these were AWD cars built with the "original" rear part number of course).
I can't believe you 2 are still debating this point.
Garlan wants there to be a physical difference, I understand that. But come on man. o_O

Expounding on speculation and proof are not the same things.

Right.

What I'm doing is discussing factual proof you can verify yourself by looking at the Tesla parts catalog.

There's no "speculation" there- it's in writing, from Teslas own catalog.

The earlier AWDs came with the exact same drive units as the P did. Fact.

The newer AWDs do not. Fact.

SO European users had the 990 first?? Is there a way to know which one I have on my AWD?

Yeah, early 2019 they were primarily building for the european market

You can put your camera phone behind the wheel and take a pic to see the part number- check the giant thread on it for lots of examples

Reactions: Phlier and conv90
Right.

What I'm doing is discussing factual proof you can verify yourself by looking at the Tesla parts catalog.

There's no "speculation" there- it's in writing, from Teslas own catalog.

The earlier AWDs came with the exact same drive units as the P did. Fact.

The newer AWDs do not. Fact.

Yeah, early 2019 they were primarily building for the european market

You can put your camera phone behind the wheel and take a pic to see the part number- check the giant thread on it for lots of examples

Of course, it's speculation. Lined up on one point with partial temporal catalog numbers. Look, I don't give a damn if there is a physical difference or not. Just don't pretend there is an absolute agreed upon proof one way or the other. There is not.........We can talk about this for the next month or two or you can just review the thousands and thousands and thousands or prior discussions.

Here, let's make this simple. Does having the same catalogue part number prove that the part is always the same? Does having a different part number prove the parts are different? Do we know there are no other physical differences? The answer to all of these is no.........conclusions made with such unknowns are speculative.....

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Much better than having 30 different threads on the same topic as was in process of happening. This way everyone can go back and forth all they want about "whether its worth it" or complaints on price of it, or speculation on motor differences, whatever, without completely overrunning the forum with 30 threads on the same basic topic.
There are better ways to achieve what you want that don’t require sh**ting on the UX of users that don’t want them all mashed together into an incoherent mess.

eg. with a halfway decent “tag” feature, a mod could tag the threads rather than move them, and people like you could filter out those with the tags you don’t care about