Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Acceleration is something you get used to
Set your car into chill mode for a week and then try it out and see if you feel it ; or could drive a regular ICE sedan for a couple of days.

I can’t seem to get used to it. I floored it after a full week of owning it and I got queasy, after eating a heavy meal before hand. Never once happened to me in my BMW M3 even launching it.

Reactions: M109Rider
of course there are ideal conditions required to hit the best time measurements. Also, keep in mind that every car is in a different state of condition, so recorded times will vary a bit.

When evaluating value, I think its the delta between measurements that matter the most (pre versus post boost). I do think think its safe to say that the general consensus is "assuming Sport mode is selected" there is a noticeable improvement in overall performance at corresponding SOC levels. With the understanding that performance won't match or exceed that of the Performance trims. My 2 cents..

Hmm, so the advice folks are giving is “warm up battery”, “charge to higher SoC”, “learn how to precondition your car”, “drive in chill and then try it” (that is my favorite one :p).

It seems the acceleration boost may only really be a boost under specific conditions..

Not exactly. :)
The advice for him is the above, because he can’t seem to feel a difference. Not sure why.

I, as well as many here feel it at any speed.

Just like any model three, boost or otherwise, you get more punch at higher state of charge and a warm battery.

Why he can’t feel it, I have no idea.

If your take away, is the car has to be high SOC and warm to feel it, you would be wrong.

Your call on whether you buy or not. I’m not trying to sell it. :)
I’m trying to help him out.

Yes this is why I said it didn't feel subjectively faster. Everyone else raved about how obvious it was so I at least expected a little awareness (literal gut feeling) over what it did the day before. I will have to get a Draggy to test.

READ my original post (#1471). I was at 70% SoC and was also fresh from a Supercharger (73%), had driven for about 20 minutes and the outside temp was about 70ºF. This is a close to ideal as you can get when using Lit-Ion tech.

I missed your original post with those figures.
Can’t help you then. You can’t seem to feel a half second difference 0-60, so maybe your car is not working right.

Most can feel half second difference very easily.

Reactions: pcons
This is very subjective as I don't have any figures to prove this, but I've noticed it feels a lot faster when launching from a stop than when flooring it from a slow roll.

There have been a couple occasions now where I've taken people for a ride to show them the car. I'll give them the first taste of acceleration when I turn onto a highway. I stop at the light then slowly turn right onto the highway and then punch it. Further up the road I usually get stopped at a red light and I'll punch it there on green. Every time, I feel the acceleration much stronger (even at higher speeds) when it started with punching it from a stop.

I wonder if this is something that's coded into the car, or if it's just my imagination. That said, it was really noticeable. The first acceleration run my passenger(s) would say "Whoa this is fast", but during the second run I said to myself "Whoa this really IS fast!" - almost surprised at how quick it was.

Coming from a C6 Corvette, the Model 3 AWD+ feels next level.

This is very subjective as I don't have any figures to prove this, but I've noticed it feels a lot faster when launching from a stop than when flooring it from a slow roll.

There have been a couple occasions now where I've taken people for a ride to show them the car. I'll give them the first taste of acceleration when I turn onto a highway. I stop at the light then slowly turn right onto the highway and then punch it. Further up the road I usually get stopped at a red light and I'll punch it there on green. Every time, I feel the acceleration much stronger (even at higher speeds) when it started with punching it from a stop.

I wonder if this is something that's coded into the car, or if it's just my imagination. That said, it was really noticeable. The first acceleration run my passenger(s) would say "Whoa this is fast", but during the second run I said to myself "Whoa this really IS fast!" - almost surprised at how quick it was.

Coming from a C6 Corvette, the Model 3 AWD+ feels next level.

The biggest difference in EV power delivery is the sensation of instant torque vs. ICE having to wait on a transmission to shift and for the engine RPM to hit the sweet spot for peak torque. What you are feeling is about 50 lb ft of additional torque (uncorked via software). The torque is most noticeable at lower speeds as it is the twisting force that gets you moving off the line. For reference, the M3P has about 100 additional horsepower and torque than an AWD. AWD+ basically splits the difference between the AWD and the P. I have owned performance cars with 500+hp/tq to the wheels but the challenge is getting that power to the ground so it is usable, even with the latest tires technology. Hellcats, Corvette Z06, etc. have engines with superchargers that deliver high torque but when coupled with the necessary gearing and RWD only you just roast the tires most of the time. Fun, but not great for posting fast times.

The AWD and instant torque of the Model 3 is great and enables it to take off like a rocket and is offers a great experience. However, the pull and roar you get from these high horsepower supercharged engines at highways speeds is pretty awesome as well. I hope they will address the power delivery at higher speeds in future EVs. I think a gearbox may be the only way. The Porsche Tycan uses a 2-speed from ZF.

What were your dragy results?
89EB443F-B4DA-4B7F-86CA-52DF6EC0F671.jpeg
Not bad for a run on a cold soaked battery and with snow flurries.

this car is so remarkably consistent. If anyone ever attempts a street race against one of these AWD+ cars, they better bring their A game. I did this numbers when the roads were starting to get wet with snow flurries. It just hooks and goes, no drama.

Last edited:
Tried again today with mixed results. I downloaded an app named Speedometer to try. First heading to work I went on an HOV ramp that has an aggressive downslope and just floored it from a slight roll (no app). It felt stronger (of course feeling are subjective) and I was feeling optimistic. I planed on measuring coming back. The HOV ramp is still a downslope but much more gradual and usually less traffic. I was at SoC 58% and came to stop and had app open. Naturally 2 cars pulled in behind me and I had to go. I hit it and it felt the same pre again. So I circled around to try again this time at SoC 56%. Hit it and again it din't feel any faster. Top that off and the app failed to even give a 0-60MPH (or 0-100kph) reading. May have to buy a Draggy to confirm if I truly got my $2K's worth.

]

there are many Dragy results that confirm the upgrade. Your phone does not have good enough GPS hardware to measure accurately.

View attachment 494556 Not bad for a run on a cold soaked battery and with snow flurries.

this car is so remarkably consistent. If anyone ever attempts a street race against one of these AWD+ cars, they better bring their A game. I did this numbers when the roads were starting to get wet with snow flurries. It just hooks and goes, no drama.
I think I'm most impressed you found a road that's perfectly flat. Haha

It is very interesting that Julien does not feel a substantial difference. But his figures are strange too so I am not sure what is going on.
Hope you will update or meet with another AWD or AWD+ owner and try neck to neck.
0.5s difference should be noticed unless you fly F-14's on a hangar ship as a dayjob..;)

It is very interesting that Julien does not feel a substantial difference. But his figures are strange too so I am not sure what is going on.
Hope you will update or meet with another AWD or AWD+ owner and try neck to neck.
0.5s difference should be noticed unless you fly F-14's on a hangar ship as a dayjob..;)
Yeah, very strange... Perhaps they never flipped the "Sport" button on...

As I previously stated. Was sitting in car on the Driving Menu when I hit Apple Pay on my iPhone. Within 5 seconds my MCU rebooted. I then opened menu and I had Sport. Will just have to buy a Dragy if I can't find one to borrow/rent.

What’s your experience with performance cars? The data around the upgrade is irrefutable, and I’m genuinely curious how you can find it unnoticeable.

Would someone mind explaining what is the difference between the new M3 LR AWD upgrade for $2K and the stealth version?

The stealth version was the performance motors but without the big brakes and 20 inch OEM wheels. It's just as fast as the performance. 3.5 originally and now about 3.2 to 60 without rollout. It was originally almost exactly a full second faster to 60 than the all wheel drive car. Again same as the performance, but now with the $2,000 upgrade to the all-wheel drive it shaves a half-second off that difference.

The stealth version was the performance motors but without the big brakes and 20 inch OEM wheels. It's just as fast as the performance. 3.5 originally and now about 3.2 to 60 without rollout. It was originally almost exactly a full second faster to 60 than the all wheel drive car. Again same as the performance, but now with the $2,000 upgrade to the all-wheel drive it shaves a half-second off that difference.
I would say it is the same motors as AWD, just “binned”. There really isn’t a “performance motor” for the 3’s. For the S and X, definitely rear motor is an actual Performance motor.

The stealth was 3.5 without rollout, so in actuality it is 3.2 with rollout. And the AWD is 3.9 without rollout now, after the $2k upgrade, coming from 4.4 seconds 0-60.