Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may already have been answered (I couldn't find it), but what about cars ordered AFTER the boost was announced? I just ordered a LR model yesterday. Will the boost be incorporated in the new car, or will I still have to pay for it extra?

Did you get AWD? That’s the key to getting access to Acceleration Boost. And you will have to pay for it. It’s an opportunity for people like me (LR AWD) to get nearly the power of the Performance Model (and a smart cash grab by Tesla).

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Wow, this comment shows a complete fundamental lack of understanding of the Model 3.

It really, really does not.

It shows an understanding of the fact only P cars have track mode.

Because that's what the post you're quoting is actually saying.

Not sure where you got confused there.

W
The LR AWD is the same car as the Performance model, minus the bigger brakes/wheels.

This absolutely used to be 100% true. In fact I was explaining it to people on here long before you created your account.

It is not true today, generally speaking.

The default LR AWD car now comes with a different rear motor (990, versus the 980 previously used in all Model 3s, and still used in everything except the LR AWD). So the standard P3D- and the standard LR AWD are no longer the same car in that regard.

Regarding the Track Mode, I discovered it by accident and verified it with Tesla CS. Their only comment, “You’re welcome”. I was hoping to find a Tesla owner in my situation. Unfortunately I found a forum with some Tesla owners who don’t really understand their own car.

Again you're not making any sense.

If you have track mode, you have a P. Period.

you are the one not understanding your car here.

Never really noticed, but there is a red line under Dual Motor on app. That suggests Performance, doesn’t it? I definitely bought LR AWD. What does this mean?

It means you have a P.

You know, just like I already told you.

Also like I told you- if you have a P (you do) and didn't pay for one- you might want to NOT remind Tesla of this fact lest they flash you back to the non-P software.

Right now though you've got double the $2000 boost, plus track mode, for free, by having a P after paying for a LR-AWD.

Last edited:

This absolutely used to be 100% true. In fact I was explaining it to people on here long before you created your account.

The default LR AWD car now comes with a different rear motor (990, versus the 980 previously used in all Model 3s, and still used in everything except the LR AWD). So the standard P3D- and the standard LR AWD are no longer the same car in that regard.

It means you have a P.

Also like I told you- if you have a P (you do) and didn't pay for one- you might want to NOT remind Tesla of this fact lest they flash you back to the non-P software.

Right now though you've got double the $2000 boost, plus track mode, for free, by having a P after paying for a LR-AWD.

@Eshepley
You have a Stealth P or P-, or P without Performance Upgrade Package. Whether you paid for it or not doesn't matter. you should just enjoy it.

You have a Stealth P or P-, or P without Performance Upgrade Package. Whether you paid for it or not doesn't matter. you should just enjoy it.

I wish that were so, but it's not. You replied to the wrong person :)

(though in fairness at the time I bought my LR AWD it was $11,000 more for a P3D- so I'm still ok having only paid 2k for half the 11k worth of acceleration)

Never really noticed, but there is a red line under Dual Motor on app. That suggests Performance, doesn’t it? I definitely bought LR AWD. What does this mean?

This is getting weird. Just spoke to Tesla rep who showed my car in system as P74, which is the Performance LR AWD. I paid $59k 9/29/18 for a LR AWD with enhanced auto pilot. I believe Tesla gave me a Performance Model battery with the regular LR AWD set up (no carbon fiber/spoiler/bigger brakes). Has ANYONE heard of something like this? I am getting diagnostic test done by Tesla mobile because I need to find out what car/battery I have. To be continued.....

This is getting weird. Just spoke to Tesla rep who showed my car in system as P74, which is the Performance LR AWD. I paid $59k 9/29/18 for a LR AWD with enhanced auto pilot. I believe Tesla gave me a Performance Model battery with the regular LR AWD set up (no carbon fiber/spoiler/bigger brakes). Has ANYONE heard of something like this? I am getting diagnostic test done by Tesla mobile because I need to find out what car/battery I have. To be continued.....

You have what people on the forums call a stealth performance or P3-. Tesla sold them at various times for 2k-5k more than the regular dual motor.

Your car is physically identical to the dual motor car you paid for. But it has the performance software installed (and matches the performance speed/acceleration).

Oh my goodness...

Please stop telling Tesla.

I'm waiting for them to flash your car back to what you paid for, a LR AWD. You have the Performance flash, aka a P3D- aka P-.

Take it and be happy you were lucky and enjoy. :)

I’ll consider myself fortunate when I can verify that I actually have the bigger capacity battery. When I do, then I will be eternally grateful for the mix up, although I have spent hours on the phone with CS to absolutely no avail. No one could figure it out. It took the fine people on this forum to shed some light! With regards to Tesla taking away the P, I don’t think they’re smart enough. They can’t even reverse errant upgrades!

• Funny
You have what people on the forums call a stealth performance or P3-. Tesla sold them at various times for 2k-5k more than the regular dual motor.

Your car is physically identical to the dual motor car you paid for. But it has the performance software installed (and matches the performance speed/acceleration).

Thanks for clarification. Sweet! I only wish I hadn’t wasted hours with CS and gone right to the real source, this forum! Thank you all! And I save $2K too!

• Funny
I’ll consider myself fortunate when I can verify that I actually have the bigger capacity battery. When I do, then I will be eternally grateful for the mix up, although I have spent hours on the phone with CS to absolutely no avail. No one could figure it out. It took the fine people on this forum to shed some light! With regards to Tesla taking away the P, I don’t think they’re smart enough. They can’t even reverse errant upgrades!
The LR AWD and P have the same sized battery.

If they can do the boost upgrade after 3 clicks on the app, and it downloads to your car, they sure as heck can remotely flash a P back to a LR AWD and visa versa.

There's talks of people who ordered a P, only receiving their car with the LR AWD and the Service Center flashed it to a P on the spot.

Reactions: Sweet OJ

It means you have a P.

If they can do the boost upgrade after 3 clicks on the app, and it downloads to your car, they sure as heck can remotely flash a P back to a LR AWD and visa versa.

There's talks of people who ordered a P, only receiving their car with the LR AWD and the Service Center flashed it to a P on the spot.
This is my guess, but the upgrade required a certain build version to be installed before it would work (after purchase). Which means they already had the code baked into that version and later versions of course, sitting on all AWD 3's waiting to be check "boxed".

Thank you for clarifying and my apologies. A little more digging in the forums and I probably would have found my answer a lot sooner. Clearly the people on this forum are way more informed than the average Tesla CS rep. I had to learn the hard way by wasting hours talking to very nice but very uninformed reps. Lesson learned. I only wish I had figured out sooner what a deal I had!

• Funny
Thank you for clarifying and my apologies. A little more digging in the forums and I probably would have found my answer a lot sooner. Clearly the people on this forum are way more informed than the average Tesla CS rep. I had to learn the hard way by wasting hours talking to very nice but very uninformed reps. Lesson learned. I only wish I had figured out sooner what a deal I had!
Glad to help, don't call them again. :) Haha

Enjoy your P-!

Reactions: CitiesSprinter

It’s my understanding that adding isn’t a problem with features. It’s removing that’s the problem.

• Funny