Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Just a thought]Now that initial sales have probably been exhausted Tesla should:

1: Offer a 1 week trial period
2: Offer a 5% performance boost but ONLY for purchasers and maybe at least a hint of more to come

I’d pay another $2k to fully close the gap to the P3D- (acceleration and track mode).

More sales for Tesla!

I keep oscillating between thinking this is a waste of money and being adamant I’ll but my it as soon as the weather is conducive to an increased acceleration. I am not going to race the car but question whether bragging rights are worth the cost. It’s obviously not a safety or functional issue as the stock cars are fast enough. I also wouldn’t make a current purchase with any anticipation of this future cost recovery. I am in a position where $2k wouldn’t come close to negatively impacting my current or future quality of life by any means but at the same time time I am far from FU money.

All this to wonder if there is anyone in a similar position where they said F it and bought the upgrade and thought it was worth it/a waste of $2k.

Last edited:
I keep oscillating between thinking this is a waste of money and being adamant I’ll but my it as soon as the weather is conducive to utilization of a speedier acceleration. I am not going to race the car but question whether bragging rights are worth the cost. It’s obviously not a safety or functional issue as the stock cars are fast enough. I also wouldn’t make a current purchase with any anti oof future cost recovery. I am in a position where $2k wouldn’t come close to negatively impacting my current or future quality of life by any means but at the same time time I am far from FU money.

All this to wonder if there is anyone in a similar position where they said F it and bought the upgrade and thought it was worth it/a waste of $2k.

Have you ever/would you ever opt for a 335i over a 328i? A hellcat over an srt? Splurged on the v6 accord?

Same decision, but cheaper and with no fuel efficiency impact.

Have you ever/would you ever opt for a 335i over a 328i? A hellcat over an srt? Splurged on the v6 accord?

Same decision, but cheaper and with no fuel efficiency impact.

To be honest, I traded in a 2009 Honda CRV for my Model 3. Those decisions have never been in play. I’ve also never been a car “guy.” Prior to the 3 cars have been a mechanism to get from A to B and as long as that journey was safe I didn’t much care about esthetics.

Reactions: SteveS1979
To be honest, I traded in a 2009 Honda CRV for my Model 3. Those decisions have never been in play. I’ve also never been a car “guy.” Prior to the 3 cars have been a mechanism to get from A to B and as long as that journey was safe I didn’t much care about esthetics.

In that case, it might be a waste of your money. It is definitely just about going fast when you push the pedal down. In that regard, it’s totally worth it.

Reactions: arghx7 and TyH2009
I keep oscillating between thinking this is a waste of money and being adamant I’ll but my it as soon as the weather is conducive to an increased acceleration. I am not going to race the car but question whether bragging rights are worth the cost. It’s obviously not a safety or functional issue as the stock cars are fast enough. I also wouldn’t make a current purchase with any anticipation of this future cost recovery. I am in a position where $2k wouldn’t come close to negatively impacting my current or future quality of life by any means but at the same time time I am far from FU money.

I figure we have a duty to show to ICE drivers how much performance an EV can have. An extra half second at the stoplight wars may convert a few more doubters into future EV owners, thereby helping the environment at least a little bit.

Don’t get the upgrade just for yourself, do it for the children!!!

Dude. Live a little. I drop the hammer every time I drive. The acceleration boost just puts a bigger smile on my face. You weren’t a car guy because you just didn’t know what you were missing. It ain’t your fault.

Dude. Live a little. I drop the hammer every time I drive. The acceleration boost just puts a bigger smile on my face. You weren’t a car guy because you just didn’t know what you were missing. It ain’t your fault.

Oh, I purposely try to catch every red if I’m first one at the light. This car is awesome and I love gunning it. I was just responding to the question. I have never previously made a car decision based on performance and passed on the Stealth 3 as it was $2k more, I would have lost $2k in state rebates and insurance would have been more. I’m still not completely sold on this being a good decision, however. This is why I am thinking of meeting halfway there in both speed and $$.

Last edited:
Oh, I purposely try to catch every red if I’m first one at the light. This car is awesome and I love gunning it. I was just responding to the question. I have never previously made a car decision based on performance and passed on the Stealth 3 as it was $2k more, I would have lost $2k in state rebates and insurance would have been more. I’m still not completely sold on this being a good decision, however. This is why I am thinking of meeting halfway there in both speed and $$.

Do it! Do it!

[Just a thought]Now that initial sales have probably been exhausted Tesla should:

1: Offer a 1 week trial period
2: Offer a 5% performance boost but ONLY for purchasers and maybe at least a hint of more to come

I'm hoping they eventually boost the performance so that it is no longer a neutered stealth (AWD NS)....even though it is the same price as a stealth.

Doubt it will happen, but if so, that's when they'll get my additional $2K.

Reactions: Flatbat and mrau
Decided to take the Boosted 3 out to the strip today because nice weather like this in the middle of winter on a Sunday with nothing else going on is somewhat of a rare treat. Plus my folks wanted to see me racing so they joined to watch and record. It was kind of neat because the Mustang GT ran a 12.2 which was pretty much what I was running several months ago before the Boost and the last 5% power increase.

Managed to break my previous best with an 11.81 at 119.27 mph.

And here's footage from the bleachers of the run:

Cheers.

Model3AWDPlusDragStrip1-26-2020.jpg

Decided to take the Boosted 3 out to the strip today because nice weather like this in the middle of winter on a Sunday with nothing else going on is somewhat of a rare treat. Plus my folks wanted to see me racing so they joined to watch and record. It was kind of neat because the Mustang GT ran a 12.2 which was pretty much what I was running several months ago before the Boost and the last 5% power increase.

Managed to break my previous best with an 11.81 at 119.27 mph.

View attachment 504695
What about 1.94 60FT? Is there an improvement after Boost Acceleration Upgrade?

Don’t get the upgrade just for yourself, do it for the children!!!

The children: that is one of the biggest reasons I was tempted not to upgrade.

This will probably be the car my three-year-old learns to drive on. But a 16 year old does not need the temptation of a 4 second 0 to 60. I'm really hoping that sometime in the next 12 years Tesla adds a teenage driver mode.

Password required to:
  • Disable chill
  • Exceed speed limit
  • Drive without seatbelt
  • Drive when there are passengers in car (seat pressure sensors)
  • Drive on roads not in route to one of the pre-approved destinations.

Reactions: jfinephilly
The children: that is one of the biggest reasons I was tempted not to upgrade.

This will probably be the car my three-year-old learns to drive on. But a 16 year old does not need the temptation of a 4 second 0 to 60. I'm really hoping that sometime in the next 12 years Tesla adds a teenage driver mode.

Password required to:
  • Disable chill
  • Exceed speed limit
  • Drive without seatbelt
  • Drive when there are passengers in car (seat pressure sensors)
  • Drive on roads not in route to one of the pre-approved destinations.

It's already 3.9 0-60 if you measure the same way the P is measured. The boost makes it ~3.5

That's a noticeable difference but not to the point one is significantly "safer" to learn to drive on than the other.

IIRC there's already modes that do some of what you want- valet mode and speed limit mode as examples

If you have track mode you have a P, not a LR AWD.

If you didn't pay for one, you probably want to stop talking now :)
If you have track mode you have a P, not a LR AWD.

If you didn't pay for one, you probably want to stop talking now :)

Wow, this comment shows a complete fundamental lack of understanding of the Model 3. The LR AWD is the same car as the Performance model, minus the bigger brakes/wheels. Tesla locks up/restricts battery power in the LR AWD so they can charge more for the Performance Model. The Acceleration Boost opens up some of that power. Regarding the Track Mode, I discovered it by accident and verified it with Tesla CS. Their only comment, “You’re welcome”. I was hoping to find a Tesla owner in my situation. Unfortunately I found a forum with some Tesla owners who don’t really understand their own car.