Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there is a total mechanical disconnect between the front and rear drivetrain, is it possible that the two motors are turning asynchronously, possibly causing extra stress on the forward drivetrain?
That certainly sounds plausible to me as well; the sensation from the driver seat is honestly close to some off-road 4-Low acceleration situations in my Jeep. The Jeep's F&R differentials aren't exactly the same ratio (0.01:1 difference), so there's an expected shudder if all wheels have enough traction. I mentioned the similarity to the SC, but I'm not sure what they did with the information, other than the axle replacements.

I'm not sure if it was the latest software update (presumably not if you all are still experiencing it) but mine seems to have stopped. It was doing it consistently when accelerating through about 45mph and also punching it while going higher speeds, but on Tuesday I was going to take it in to show the SC and of course it wasn't doing it. I haven't been able to get it to do it since... I will keep trying, oh the pain of having to go out and test ludicrous mode. :D

Send a note my SC re: vehicle shudder.

I was told that there is an outstanding work order to inspect front half shafts (sure wish they would have called me). I gather Tesla has figured out that this is either a vehicle problem or part issue tied to certain units delivered (i.e. similar to door latches that took 3rd version to get stability).

I just picked up my Model X from the service center and they said they've stopped replacing the half axles until the factory can figure out what the root cause is. Their suspicion is a firmware issue introduced in a past update.

If they are saying its a firmware issue, then why has replacing the half shafts fixed the problem? If it was software-related, then replacement wouldn't have helped, right?

Good question. How many cars have really been fixed by these replacements? My SC said they replaced three sets on one car with no improvement. I think the jury is still out on this one.
My half axels have been replaced, shudder is still present upon hard accelerations from 0. My car feels a bit quicker but it seems like the low end immediate torque is causing this. Ran my battery down to 16% today, shudder was gone but so was extra launch speed. Performing an actual "launch" using the brake hold and accelerator punch does not bring about the shudder but torque is brought upon more gradually..

My half axels have been replaced, shudder is still present upon hard accelerations from 0. My car feels a bit quicker but it seems like the low end immediate torque is causing this. Ran my battery down to 16% today, shudder was gone but so was extra launch speed. Performing an actual "launch" using the brake hold and accelerator punch does not bring about the shudder but torque is brought upon more gradually..

Have you tried hard acceleration from ~30 mph in sport rather than ludicrous mode? Do you still get the shudder?

My SC appointment is in two weeks - not sure if they know what the problem is or if there's a fix.

Have you tried hard acceleration from ~30 mph in sport rather than ludicrous mode? Do you still get the shudder?

My SC appointment is in two weeks - not sure if they know what the problem is or if there's a fix.
Only thing I tried was turning range mode on/off, thinking the torque distribution between front and rear motors would affect it. Did not make a noticeable difference. The shudder seems to be less as I "start-off" at higher speeds. Most noticeable from lower speed but will try from specific speeds and make notes.

Only thing I tried was turning range mode on/off, thinking the torque distribution between front and rear motors would affect it. Did not make a noticeable difference. The shudder seems to be less as I "start-off" at higher speeds. Most noticeable from lower speed but will try from specific speeds and make notes.

Q: did you get your replacement done in Tampa or Dania Beach? FWIW: Db is very challenging to get anyone to call back.

Q: did you get your replacement done in Tampa or Dania Beach? FWIW: Db is very challenging to get anyone to call back.
Had mine done in Tampa, very prompt and great to work with. I tested a bit more today, on sport mode shudder is almost non existent. I then turned on L with Max Battery Power, and waited till it was ready, full throttle from 0 resulted in a shudder at 40-45mph mark but smooth before and after, vibration was brief but present. Full punch from 20-30mph produced a slight vibration as well. I'm going to try it some more before i write an email to my SC. Not sure if the parts have been updated or were just a replacement. But noticable improvement.

Sounds like we’re all seeing the same thing. It’s most noticable under hard accelleration as you pass through 45mph. I also noticed that state of charge seems to make a big difference. When I was at 50% battery, I barely notice the shudder, but if I charge up to 90%, very noticable.

Sounds like we’re all seeing the same thing. It’s most noticable under hard accelleration as you pass through 45mph. I also noticed that state of charge seems to make a big difference. When I was at 50% battery, I barely notice the shudder, but if I charge up to 90%, very noticable.
A few weeks ago, I had noticed a little more acceleration after a firmware update, it has been since this increase that i noticed the shudder.

Just finished a 50 mile drive, as I neared my destination, I lowered SAS to very low and turned on Max Battery, no shudder at all. Tried both from full stop and from 30mph. Only thing I felt was slight slipping on a wet portion of the road. The shudder may be from the tires. Seems like when tires are hot and SAS is very low the grip is better and shudder isn't present. More to come...

Just finished a 50 mile drive, as I neared my destination, I lowered SAS to very low and turned on Max Battery, no shudder at all. Tried both from full stop and from 30mph. Only thing I felt was slight slipping on a wet portion of the road. The shudder may be from the tires. Seems like when tires are hot and SAS is very low the grip is better and shudder isn't present. More to come...
Thanks for all the experimenting. I have also been thinking that it may be from tire slippage. Maybe anti-slip software briefly interrupting/restoring power flow to prevent traction loss (burnouts)?