Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI:

I had a shudder problem come back a few months ago, really only noticeable at 50+ freeway speeds and would stay even if not accelerating (i thought it was the crappy freeways, lol). finally was appointment time last week. Got it back yesterday. The sound deadening foam lining in the right rear tire had come loose and was bouncing around in the tire. o_O They replaced the tire and everything is back to what it should be.

• Informative
Reactions: Fred42 and mongo

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 12.38.51 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 12.38.51 pm.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: wreighven and mongo
Tech went to test drive my 2016 75D X. On standard suspension, you can definitely feel the shudder. On low suspension, you can't feel the shudder. Tech said its normal for shudder on standard suspension??? Anyone else get that reasoning? I'm going to head over to another SC later on when I have free time.

Tech went to test drive my 2016 75D X. On standard suspension, you can definitely feel the shudder. On low suspension, you can't feel the shudder. Tech said its normal for shudder on standard suspension??? Anyone else get that reasoning? I'm going to head over to another SC later on when I have free time.
IIRC, this was what they claimed prior to the TSB, but after the TSB, they are supposed to fix it when it occurs in normal. You may need to print and bring the TSB so you can highlight the part where it says to test and confirm this doesn't happen in normal.

My sc didn't have any issue with fixing it about 7 months ago. Some shutter in normal, none in low. Problem has not reoccurred.
I would not say it is "normal" when there are many cars without the problem.

Reactions: whitecoathub
IIRC, this was what they claimed prior to the TSB, but after the TSB, they are supposed to fix it when it occurs in normal. You may need to print and bring the TSB so you can highlight the part where it says to test and confirm this doesn't happen in normal.
I brought it up on 3 different visits post TSB, and was still denied (even mentioning the TSB number). I was told that "there's still no guarantee it will fix anything, and we don't have parts for it."

I brought it up on 3 different visits post TSB, and was still denied (even mentioning the TSB number). I was told that "there's still no guarantee it will fix anything, and we don't have parts for it."
I don't know why they're making you jump through hoops, but did you ask them to order parts? They should order parts for a future appointment, and they should know to do that without you asking, but it's worth a shot. Given their poor track record, I'd probably ask them to go ahead and schedule the future appointment vs counting on them calling you when parts come in.

Given their poor track record, I'd probably ask them to go ahead and schedule the future appointment vs counting on them calling you when parts come in.
Agree, not to wait on them to call. But having said that, I reported a shutter problem about June of last year. A mobile tech came out to confirm the issue and they offered to replace half-shafts. I told them at that time, it would probably be a waste of their time and mine because too many people were reporting the problem comes back again and again. I said, when you have a more permanent solution, I will have it done.

SURPRISE, they call me around November to tell me there is a more permanent solution with new rev D parts and an updated clevis mount. The clevis mount replacement was never a part of previous half-shaft replacements that various owners were getting. The clevis mount was a new thing. So I drove the car down there, 3 hours later it was all replaced.

So many posts I’ve gotten lost a bit. Does anyone have this shudder with the new Raven MX? I picked mine up 12/17/19 and I’ve had it a couple times on fast acceleration.
Also curious on the status of the repair approach. I saw a bunch of threads on this with some waiting for SW fix. thanks