Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident and Repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't work them too low on the car's value! That's what you'll end up with if you are totaled. Are you including the value of your customizations in this value? Could this just be a ploy to get you to agree with a low value?

I can't believe it's not totaled, but no accounting for insurance companies. You do have both insurance companies working on estimates, right? Get an estimate of diminished value and rental car and bring that up with your insurance.

I feel your pain on this, and I've considered the same thing. But with how much the cars are changing and what it sounds like is coming I would be excited to move on to the next model asap
I was really happy with mine. No problems at all and it looked sick completely blacked out. We were going to get another tesla at the end of lease then have both of our cars Tesla's or have a third car.

Don't work them too low on the car's value! That's what you'll end up with if you are totaled. Are you including the value of your customizations in this value? Could this just be a ploy to get you to agree with a low value?

I can't believe it's not totaled, but no accounting for insurance companies. You do have both insurance companies working on estimates, right? Get an estimate of diminished value and rental car and bring that up with your insurance.
I don't have my insurance company working on it if I don't have to. That is plan C. It is a lease so I don't care about value as I have gap insurance but still want it so I can make a little money from the difference of payoff. I just want it to be totaled. Badly. Finding out tomorrow

when they really get into the repairs it will go way up.... just a matter of time before they give up waiting for parts... a friends car got a minor bump, front bumper, fender, wheel and tie rod, initial estimate was $4k, 3 months later, it was done and total bill was $17k plus $3k for the rental...

Last edited:
when they really get into the repairs it will go way up.... just a matter of time before they give up waiting for parts... a friends car got a minor bump, front bumper fender, wheel and tie rod, initial estimate was $4k, 3 months later, it was done and total bill was 17k plus 3k for the rental...

Oof. My repair bill is $51k but it will have to go up. Every panel needs to be replaced even the roof but the doors need to be repaired. Hope he was OK! Watch your videos and Sorry you were pulled over and the cop was being a d$&k. They once did that to me with my tinted windows on my Audi. He was training a rookie cop to show how to write tickets. The windows weren't even dark and everybody who passed me had darker windows. Love all your cars and the new X. Can't wait to see the new ford gt. I also like your arachnids and if forever reason you have to get rid of the silver arachnids you know who to give em to.
Zack

thanks, yea, bogus ticket, just sent it over to a ticket attorney... I hope you get that car totaled asap.... Tesla now has a "Body Shop Customer Advocate Team" but still, parts and repair times are painful...

should have the GT by the end of the year, can't wait! :)

Oof. My repair bill is $51k but it will have to go up. Every panel needs to be replaced even the roof but the doors need to be repaired. Hope he was OK! Watch your videos and Sorry you were pulled over and the cop was being a d$&k. They once did that to me with my tinted windows on my Audi. He was training a rookie cop to show how to write tickets. The windows weren't even dark and everybody who passed me had darker windows. Love all your cars and the new X. Can't wait to see the new ford gt. I also like your arachnids and if forever reason you have to get rid of the silver arachnids you know who to give em to.
Zack

I was really happy with mine. No problems at all and it looked sick completely blacked out. We were going to get another tesla at the end of lease then have both of our cars Tesla's or have a third car.

So sorry you are going through this! It is so frustrating! First, you are so happy that everyone is alive and basically well, then you have to deal with a bunch of dark matter that smells very bad... and none of this was your fault! I hope you get everything resolved to your satisfaction before your blood pressure goes through the roof. Try some meditation to keep you calm in the days ahead...

As for having two Teslas - we LOVE our two! I have the X, my husband has the S, plus we plan on getting a 3. We sold all four of our ICE vehicles and dove in to EV.

So sorry you are going through this! It is so frustrating! First, you are so happy that everyone is alive and basically well, then you have to deal with a bunch of dark matter that smells very bad... and none of this was your fault! I hope you get everything resolved to your satisfaction before your blood pressure goes through the roof. Try some meditation to keep you calm in the days ahead...

As for having two Teslas - we LOVE our two! I have the X, my husband has the S, plus we plan on getting a 3. We sold all four of our ICE vehicles and dove in to EV.
Thank god everyone was ok. It is just a car, it can be replaced. I can't. Absolutely no cabin intrusion at all. Although, I had minor whiplash and a headache for a couple days it could've been a lot worse. Regarding stress, dealing with this non-stop. Hate this. Trying to get extra sleep so I don't take out my anger on other people.;)

Reactions: Mrcook4590
Thank god everyone was ok. It is just a car, it can be replaced. I can't. Absolutely no cabin intrusion at all. Although, I had minor whiplash and a headache for a couple days it could've been a lot worse. Regarding stress, dealing with this non-stop. Hate this. Trying to get extra sleep so I don't take out my anger on other people.;)
Very sorry for your accident and all you are going through. I was rear ended when I still had temp tags on my X. Luckily it was reasonably slow at a double right turn and light where they thought I was going but wasn't. I had way less damage than you. My serious accident happened on 6/6/2017. Best wishes and best of luck.

Ok, manager of mercury came by body shop yesterday. He is writing up a report, and should have it done by Thursday. Repair costs are $50,914 but will maybe go up. They are still saying they need all the cost me 90% of the value. Rental costs for the whole time will be $12,696.35. That adds up to $63,610.35. Only the rental and repairs is 92% of the value. California uses the TLF which is Total Loss Formula. It is Repair Costs+Salvage Value> Value of car before accident. I calculated $50,914+~$28k >$69k. Thoughts? What should I tell them on Thursday if they don't do this?
Thanks,
Zack

Curious on the rental situation how they are willing to cover such a high cost. We just picked up our Tesla this week and my insurance right now is through Progressive and they only cover $50 per day for a max of 30 days. 30 days would almost certainly not be enough time to fix a Tesla for even minor issues.

I know other insurance companies do offer different policies on rentals, but the ones I was looking at when I was shopping for insurance didn't have much better policies. That or their rates were just too high.

Last edited:
Curious on the rental situation how they are willing to cover such a high cost. We just picked up our Tesla this week and my insurance right now is through Progressive and they only cover $50 per day for a max of 30 days. 30 days would almost certainly not be enough time to fix a Tesla for even minor issues.

There is a difference between your policy covering a rental, and the policy of the person that hit you. They are responsible for all costs, repair and replacement transportation regardless of how long the repair takes.

So in this case, the rental is at the expense of the other insurance company, not your own. Makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.
Yep. They will only pay for $72 a day and I begged for that because I am driving a Nissan Armada that gets 9MPG now. So I get a Audi Q3. Not bad but have to pick it up soon. Get that for 5 months if they don't total it but they will. Should I request a Model X on turo. They will total it because just repairs and rental is 92% of rental.

So there is no cap of coverage for rental from the other person's insurance? Because you drive an MX you can request to rent the exact make and model and they have no choice but to pay for it?
They are being difficult and are only getting me get a car from enterprise. Want to stay on their good side so they will total it and not on their s&$t list which I kind of already am. They hate me. :p