Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident and Repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you guys think. Totaled?
You're going to like half of this post and hate the other half.

If the insurance company is smart, they will total it. The insurance industry is still trying to understand Teslas because standard calculations are out the window.
- They will do a salvage estimate on it and realize it is easily worth $30k in salvage, probably closer to $40k. They'll add diminished value, rental car costs, etc. to the estimate. Typically, if the repair costs and supplementals are around 75% or more, it'll be totaled. That last 25% or less will be absorbed by the insurance company. The salvage proceeds will mitigate that 25%. In this case, salvage value is around 50% of the car. They're used to dealing with 5-25%. That factor completely jumbles the normal calculation... and I haven't even touched upon the 4-month repair time.

If it's totaled, you just lost a chunk of money (in less than a year). Also, I'm having a hard time understanding why you want it totaled. Is it because you want a different car or because you don't want to drive a fixed car?
- What's the lease balance? If it's $70k or more, you will walk away with nothing. You will not be entitled to your down payment or any of your monthly payments. GAP should cover the lease balance over $70k.
- The amount of money you have lost is considered depreciation and while it sucks, you're not entitled to it.
- Are you sure your neck isn't hurting? I know there are some ambulance chasers on the forum.

• Helpful
Reactions: BLKMDL3

If the insurance company is smart, they will total it. The insurance industry is still trying to understand Teslas because standard calculations are out the window.
- They will do a salvage estimate on it and realize it is easily worth $30k in salvage, probably closer to $40k. They'll add diminished value, rental car costs, etc. to the estimate. Typically, if the repair costs and supplementals are around 75% or more, it'll be totaled. That last 25% or less will be absorbed by the insurance company. The salvage proceeds will mitigate that 25%. In this case, salvage value is around 50% of the car. They're used to dealing with 5-25%. That factor completely jumbles the normal calculation... and I haven't even touched upon the 4-month repair time.

If it's totaled, you just lost a chunk of money (in less than a year). Also, I'm having a hard time understanding why you want it totaled. Is it because you want a different car or because you don't want to drive a fixed car?
- What's the lease balance? If it's $70k or more, you will walk away with nothing. You will not be entitled to your down payment or any of your monthly payments. GAP should cover the lease balance over $70k.
- The amount of money you have lost is considered depreciation and while it sucks, you're not entitled to it.
- Are you sure your neck isn't hurting? I know there are some ambulance chasers on the forum.
I don't want to wait 4.5 months for a FIXED Model X with that on the title. It wouldn't be eligible for the CPO program, Ill lose value. For the new car, I at least want some of the down payment. Cant spend $8000 again. Want some of it paid by the at-fault driver's insurance. Should I do it through my insurance?

I believe you are 100% correct. I wish Zack all the best, but I couldn't get why he was so happy to get the car totaled.

I just hate being in an ICE. Just want the new car. Was perfectly happy with my 60D. I LOVED IT!
Dear OP I feel for you, I was rear indented in stopped traffic on a motorway last month. Luckily? I was not pushed into the car in front as the space left was just large enough. So I only had damage to the rear. The back of my X looked way worse than yours but of course looks can be deceiving.

Car has been in the Tesla approved bodyshop for the last month and we are picking it up later today Once the service centre had finished checking it over.

A couple of things that struck me.
The back end of a model X is awesome strong and help by the tow frame behind the bumper/fender. The back of our car was lifted off the ground on impact and our model X was pushed forward despite my having my foot firmly on the brake. Although every panel possible at the back and the rear hatch were severely damaged, there was no serious ingress into the rear.

Everybody walked away uninjured including my family and the family in the Buick SUV that ran into us.

The Buick was totalled.

Tesla and their approved bodyshop have been brilliant. Not all parts were available either at our service centre or even in China. Replacement parts were obtained and shipped/flown over and 5 weeks and 1 day later the car is ready.

I know that other people have had a terrible wait getting work done in the past but I can only say I am awed by everyones awesomeness in getting this resolved.

Like you I did have those thoughts of - I hope they write it off so I don't have to worry about any future problems not discovered during the repair process - and - I could have a new HW2 car next and that would be interesting :)

Actually we are all looking forward to getting our Model X back later today and I will be delighted not having to drive a petrol vehicle again.

I hope that your situation is resolved as quickly as ours has been.

Reactions: BLKMDL3
Dear OP I feel for you, I was rear indented in stopped traffic on a motorway last month. Luckily? I was not pushed into the car in front as the space left was just large enough. So I only had damage to the rear. The back of my X looked way worse than yours but of course looks can be deceiving.

Car has been in the Tesla approved bodyshop for the last month and we are picking it up later today Once the service centre had finished checking it over.

A couple of things that struck me.
The back end of a model X is awesome strong and help by the tow frame behind the bumper/fender. The back of our car was lifted off the ground on impact and our model X was pushed forward despite my having my foot firmly on the brake. Although every panel possible at the back and the rear hatch were severely damaged, there was no serious ingress into the rear.

Everybody walked away uninjured including my family and the family in the Buick SUV that ran into us.

The Buick was totalled.

Tesla and their approved bodyshop have been brilliant. Not all parts were available either at our service centre or even in China. Replacement parts were obtained and shipped/flown over and 5 weeks and 1 day later the car is ready.

I know that other people have had a terrible wait getting work done in the past but I can only say I am awed by everyones awesomeness in getting this resolved.

Like you I did have those thoughts of - I hope they write it off so I don't have to worry about any future problems not discovered during the repair process - and - I could have a new HW2 car next and that would be interesting :)

Actually we are all looking forward to getting our Model X back later today and I will be delighted not having to drive a petrol vehicle again.

I hope that your situation is resolved as quickly as ours has been.
Please send pics. I want to compare damage. Yours is a 90D so It has a higher value but they use the same exterior parts. Ours is a 60D so it has a lower value and higher chance of being totaled. Hope everybody was ok.
Zack

Went to body shop today to see my baby all taken apart. So sad. MAJOR FRAME DAMAGE. Have PDF of estimate. $49k. Here is some pics and the pdf.
IMG_6125.JPG
IMG_6101.JPG
IMG_6115.JPG
IMG_6117.JPG
IMG_6114.JPG
IMG_6121.JPG

Attachments

• X60D crash.PDF
    216.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6098.JPG
    IMG_6098.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 52