Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident and Repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted earlier that my insurance company tried to inflate the price of my vehicle (a Kia) so it would not be totaled, said it was more than the sticker price. When it was finally totaled, they used the lower price. :mad: Fax the adjuster the sticker if you need to be sure they know you're keeping an eye on them.

• Helpful
Reactions: BLKMDL3
I posted earlier that my insurance company tried to inflate the price of my vehicle (a Kia) so it would not be totaled, said it was more than the sticker price. When it was finally totaled, they used the lower price. :mad: Fax the adjuster the sticker if you need to be sure they know you're keeping an eye on them.
Thanks! Need to talk to them.

Reactions: Mrcook4590
They think the value is $85k. IT STICKERS AT $81k!! It has 12k miles. They probably don't want to total it so they inflated the value.

I'm sure part of why they are valuing it at more than sticker is because of the upgrades you have done to the car.

Get it in writing from them that if they start repairs and end up totaling it that they pay out based on the $85k value and that they can't re-negotiate the value. That should make them think twice about their valuation number. (Remember that someone said they inflated the value to try to not total their car, but once the repairs started it got so expensive that they totaled it anyhow, and then they lowered the value for the total payout. Cheaters...)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
THEY DONT WANT TO TOTAL IT:mad::mad: They think the value is $85k when the sticker is $81k and has 12k miles on it. Sent him the sticker and now need to talk to his supervisor and bring it to a higher level. There is $50,914 of damage and the car is worth $68,900.
I hate dealing with insurance.

THEY DONT WANT TO TOTAL IT:mad::mad: They think the value is $85k when the sticker is $81k and has 12k miles on it. Sent him the sticker and now need to talk to his supervisor and bring it to a higher level. There is $50,914 of damage and the car is worth $68,900.
I hate dealing with insurance.

sorry to hear about this...however, i wouldn't be to worried as its a lease. my biggest worry is the wait time :(

Yeah I agree. It's a lease so you have a guaranteed way to get rid of it - so no need to even worry about diminished value. Wait time could suck, but just insist that they put you in a model x rental while work is being done. You will be much better off financially if they DON'T total it.

Yeah I agree. It's a lease so you have a guaranteed way to get rid of it - so no need to even worry about diminished value. Wait time could suck, but just insist that they put you in a model x rental while work is being done. You will be much better off financially if they DON'T total it.
That is true but wanted to possibly purchase it out of the lease because I love it so much.

UPDATE AS OF FRIDAY NIGHT: Forgot to post this. They are still inflating the value. They also said suddenly that the repairs have to cost 90% OF THE VALUE. Since when?! They said 70% before. Now I am getting pissed off. The owner of the body shop knows the head of Mercury here. He will talk to them to total it and he even agrees it is only worth $68-$69,000. He will make them total it because I DO NOT feel comfortable driving around in a rebuilt car even if it is up to standard. The car is messed up. Every panel has to be replaced but the front doors which are mostly fine except the plastic under the door is falling off. The back doors have issues and the roof also. The back doors have to be fixed and blended. It looks much worse in person. Thanks for all your replies so far!
Zack

Costs
Total Cost of repairs $51,000
Exactly 75% of $68k
DOES NOT INCLUDE RENTAL
$120/day for at least 150 days. Total of 5 months $18k-Model X rental
For other rental which I don't want and i am requesting a model x rental tomorrow. $8.5k

Reactions: viperboy
The owner of the body shop knows the head of Mercury here. He will talk to them to total it
Why do you think the owner of the body shop will be interested in loosing such a big job?
I DO NOT feel comfortable driving around in a rebuilt car even if it is up to standard
I think you're mistaken here thinking that your feelings of comfortability would have any impact on the process or outcome.

In my opinion, instead of conducting this thread and talking to this guy or that guy (which would likely get you nowhere), you should've hired a lawyer already to advance your goal