Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ACCIDENT MODEL 3.... Backed into garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I come with some bad news. After a month of getting delivery my wife accidentally swiped the rear passenger area with our garage! It isn't the end of the world, but I definitely want your options on the best way to go about this.

I was wondering if there was anyway to repair this without replacing the entire panel as that'll cost $$$. Do you think it'll be possible for a body shop to sand it down repair it then repaint or something along those lines. Any suggestions I can definitely use your help.

PS: I do not want to go through insurance as my family has had minor accidents and tickets all year. My premium is through the roof and don't want to be dropped!

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 312
  • unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 278
  • unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 291
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 276
Ah that sucks! I have had experience with mobile paint repair when I helped sell my friend's BMW M4 (had some scrapes on the front and rear bumper). I could not tell where the repair was performed. So good. Paid around $500 or so. Took less than 4 hours and he did it in the parking lot while I was at work. Absolutely astonished at how good the result was.

Here's who I used in California: https://www.yelp.com/biz/color-creation-mobile-bumper-repair-and-auto-paint-placentia

I'm sure you can find reputable folks in your area.

Reactions: mcbarnet007
Doesn't look that bad, actually. Look on Yelp for a local paintless dent repair guy with great reviews. He still may have to wet sand and repaint, but it'll be a fraction of the cost of a body shop.

FWIW I did a DIY repair on my other car (wouldn't trust myself to do a Tesla!) that was very similar. Wet sand, fill scratches, prime, paint, clear coat. It came out ok, but not Tesla-quality because I was a newbie. A dent-and-scratch guy who knows his stuff will have no problem with it.

I'd bite the bullet and have a good shop pull the dent, and then repaint the damaged area...maybe around $1000- $1500. Too new a car to live with a 80% OK repair. Lots of body shops will help out on price when it's out of pocket vs insurance. Gluck

I mean how can you blame the M3! It has the most sensors and best rear facing camera than any other car on the rood. It's pretty dumb proof to damage it in the first place. Not saying whoever did it is ;)
Within a few days of getting the Bolt the wife, leaving early in the morning for work, misjudged the new car's size and clipped the neighbour's cast aluminum stand mailbox with the side mirror. The stand shattered, left a small divot in the chrome on in the backside of the mirror assembly but you only notice it if you're looking.

I said nothing, no disparaging looks, nothing untoward, just checked the car to make sure it was okay and I got hold of the neighbour to arrange replacing the mailbox. Because, but for the grace of G-d, there go I. :oops:

Last edited:
Hey guys I need some help deciding what to do!

SO I went to two approved Tesla body shops and they both quoted me $7k+ to fix the quarter panel. They said it needs to be done properly and then afterwards they work with Tesla to run all diagnostics to make sure its all good. but 7k to take a dent and repaint is absolutely crazy.

I then went to a good reliable shop and they quoted me 2k to fix and repaint. Obviously this sounds so much better, and im intrigued to do it. But is this a risk? Are there sensors in the quarter panel or is it as easy to just take off fix and repaint and put it back. Should I wait till the price get cheaper at approved shops as I know its high as the car just came out. Help!!!

I mean how can you blame the M3! It has the most sensors and best rear facing camera than any other car on the rood. It's pretty dumb proof to damage it in the first place. Not saying whoever did it is ;)

Those sensors beep way too furiously way too early for any kind of tight parking. I can see how they'd end up ignored if they go off every single time you park.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht