Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

According to Tesla - Any Deliveires that Dont have a contract already are delayed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't get it, though. You can "study" the crap out of this and it's still not the real thing. It's just too damn complex to model and simulate everything. This happens with even the best run operations at this sort of scale. The big differentiator in competency is how hard it fails (works somewhat or complete failure) and how long it takes to bring it back into spec. That they are operating at all is a good sign, the later part is going to take time to tell.

Cant ya just throw some more CPU's and RAM at it?
-govt customer

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire
You don't get it, though. You can "study" the crap out of this and it's still not the real thing. It's just too damn complex to model and simulate everything. This happens with even the best run operations at this sort of scale. The big differentiator in competency is how hard it fails (works somewhat or complete failure) and how long it takes to bring it back into spec. That they are operating at all is a good sign, the later part is going to take time to tell.

Yeah, okaay. I don't know how complex the contract process can actually be. It's not like they are having to create individually worded contracts per buyer. Either the buyer has funding and agrees to the contract, or not, right? The time study can be as simple as taking the best and worst case scenarios to execute a contract, take the mean or median, and then plan to ramp and staff accordingly. Tesla has been executing these contracts for a few years now. This should not be the bottleneck.

Reactions: flyingpenguins
Please take the time to consider these sentences of yours more deeply.

Lol. Yeah, sure.

My point remains - Tesla has been selling cars (executing contracts) for a few years now. They have the data. They can extrapolate. It shouldn't be a bottleneck. You build more cars = you execute more contracts. Plan accordingly. This should not be a surprise to them.

So looks like they did anticipate it and got a new system for contracts, but the new system broke. ;)

From another thread just posted....

Dear All,

As you know we are always improving our products, processes, and systems. In order to prepare for future automation, we recently launched a new system for creating our contracts. While we are transitioning, we will not be able to provide your final amount due or final contract until your delivery appointment. This may result in a longer than usual wait time at your delivery appointment – we’re running about 60-90 minutes behind. If you need to reschedule for a new date, please reach out to your Inside Delivery Advisor. We are working diligently to get your contract posted in your MyTesla account asap.

We appreciate your patience, understanding, and continued support!"

Bay Area Home delivery 7/24

Lol. Yeah, sure.

My point remains - Tesla has been selling cars (executing contracts) for a few years now. They have the data. They can extrapolate. It shouldn't be a bottleneck. You build more cars = you execute more contracts. Plan accordingly. This should not be a surprise to them.
Look at your words, again. What you're saying. They've have a system running for years. It's working. Data says "no problem here". They, like you, don't expect a problem.

Then they try to ram orders through this functioning system at several times the rate. They're dealing with unleashing a backlog of built cars carried over from prior Q, which is new, aiming to sell as many vehicles in week as they normally do in a month, or more.

Suddenly a chokepoint manifests. Turns out that when they've been putting their 4lb of mud in a sack all these years it was a 5lb sack. Putting trying to put in 10lb of mud doesn't go as smoothly. The tricky part of it is that it's hard to know how big the sack is until you try to fill it past capacity.

Surprise! To them and you.

I am set for home delivery. I wonder how that is going to work. I guess they will just show up later but then not sure where that leaves me for when I should head home. I'm guess my kitchen table is about to become a loan processing desk.
Loan processing is completed long before delivery day.

I just received my Delivery day for my PP3D "all buttons checked" - feature proof Model 3. Delivery day is August 4th.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
So looks like they did anticipate it and got a new system for contracts, but the new system broke. ;)

From another thread just posted....

Dear All,

As you know we are always improving our products, processes, and systems. In order to prepare for future automation, we recently launched a new system for creating our contracts. While we are transitioning, we will not be able to provide your final amount due or final contract until your delivery appointment. This may result in a longer than usual wait time at your delivery appointment – we’re running about 60-90 minutes behind. If you need to reschedule for a new date, please reach out to your Inside Delivery Advisor. We are working diligently to get your contract posted in your MyTesla account asap.

We appreciate your patience, understanding, and continued support!"

Bay Area Home delivery 7/24

If this is true tomorrow evening, I won't be able to take delivery. I haven't received this email yet, so I'm hoping for the best.

01204E64-C508-426A-89D1-2272B8A68B4B.jpeg

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Have you not seen the other threads of people complaining about feeling rushed for their 15 minute or 5 minute or 1 minute delivery windows? There must have been 40 3s waiting for delivery in Fremont and another few hundred just down the road.

I took delivery on "contract h*ll" Sunday. It took just over five hours from when my appointment was (3:45 pm) to finally starting the paperwork (around 9:00 pm) at the Fremont delivery center. At any given time there were probably 100 people milling around the center waiting around. They did take our cell phone number - so we killed a couple of hours over at a restaurant.

They're effing everywhere. I've never owned such a common car, and this is only 6 months into deliveries!

They are getting to be everywhere here in the South Bay too. But taking it into perspective, I replaced a C-Class sedan with the Model 3. How many C-Class sedans are tooling around in the Bay Area?

The Model 3 is definitely worth it though. Blows away the MB.

Yep. Just as they had been planning to all along.
As an aside, if they make it to 5K/week sales on Model 3 through a full month that implies +/- top 20 spot for all vehicles sold in the US. Maybe a little under that because some of those sales are into Canada. So more likely spot 21-22.

Of all light duty models. USA best selling Cars. The top 100 in the 2018 ((sort descending by the June sales column, and have it display 25/page to make it easy to see))

Last edited:
Add me to this list. Was supposed to take delivery today, but the delivery center suggested I reschedule for tomorrow, since Contracts wasn’t able to send the final MVPA. I went ahead and did so, then later someone at the DC called me back and said the contract was ready, but they sent it to the wrong email (I am the alternate contact). He assured me he’d send it to my email right away. That was about 4 hours ago... still nothing.

Took delivery of my Model 3 today. It was crazy mad dash to the finish line and if this were any other product where we had a choice of several competing models, I would seriously think twice about buying from Tesla again, at least until they hash this out. Growing pains, I know.

A small data point and word of advice for anyone who hasn't gotten a contract yet. Move up your delivery time/date to the earliest possible time/date even if you have no intention of making it. It seems that the contracting dept only has sufficient resources to work on those contracts that are set to deliver...NOW. I called the delivery center several times today and eventually I got my 4:45pm appointment moved up to "2pm". Lo and behold, the contract is ready at 2:15pm and emailed to me. I then had to get on the phone with my lender and beg them to drop everything they were doing and work on my loan so I could make my 4:45pm time slot. They pulled through with documents at 4:30pm just as I was pulling into the delivery center.

tl;dr If you haven't gotten a contract yet and you need time to work with with an outside lender, schedule your delivery appt for as soon as possible. Ask the delivery center if they can move you up. That should get you to the front of the "contract" line. Then reschedule your actual delivery if needed.

I wish I could see a contract to see how intense it is. It has to be extremely complicated since it takes so long.
It's 5 pages, only 1 of which needs any attention and shouldn't take more than a minute.

1st page is a copy/paste of your vehicle configuration with prices.
2nd page has about 20 numbers: purchase price, deposit, taxes, fees, trade in, other, etc. Most numbers can either be pulled from config or are standard across all cars, depending on the state. Excel should take care of the math.
Pages 3-5 are terms and conditions with nothing to fill out. Signature at the bottom of page 5.