Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Active Road Noise Cancellation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From reading this thread, it seems Noise Cancellation is not yet ready for prime time and is not working correctly yet and actually emits more noise than it cancels. Just add this to the list of Tesla features that are not working. Turn it off and enjoy your car.

Same for me. I don’t find it normal 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes, it will calibrate on each drive. Why they do it that way, I don't know. Why can't they use the last calibration until they acquire a new one?
Well I guess they need to listen with no correction to learn what the correction should be ;)

First time it seemed to take a long time. Now it doesn't take long at all.

From reading this thread, it seems Noise Cancellation is not yet ready for prime time and is not working correctly yet and actually emits more noise than it cancels. Just add this to the list of Tesla features that are not working. Turn it off and enjoy your car.
Mine absolutely 100% reduces the noise. Not a lot, for sure. No way I'd shut it off.

Mine absolutely 100% reduces the noise. Not a lot, for sure. No way I'd shut it off.

Same here. However, I did have the car when it first downloaded the ARNR. It was not good. It actually had the opposite effect and made some noises louder. At one point it jacked the volume up to about 8 or 9 and nothing short of rebooting stopped it. Now, it is a good thing and I know they will just make it better (hopefully sooner than later).

Reactions: mswlogo
Just for the record, for those who are scratching their heads with this feature: mine usually makes 0 difference, I've tried it on noisy freeways where I can have a coherent noise level for a prolonged time - on/off - 0 difference. Occasionally though it makes things worse, like amplifying wind noise... I turn it off, it gets better. Very very rarely (let's say less than 5% of drives) I've detected it to actually work nicely. I guess Tesla is either still experimenting or the feature is just not well baked. Either way I hope to see major improvements, otherwise I'd say that's not a feature that should be advertised for the car.

Reactions: WilliamG
Just for the record, for those who are scratching their heads with this feature: mine usually makes 0 difference, I've tried it on noisy freeways where I can have a coherent noise level for a prolonged time - on/off - 0 difference. Occasionally though it makes things worse, like amplifying wind noise... I turn it off, it gets better. Very very rarely (let's say less than 5% of drives) I've detected it to actually work nicely. I guess Tesla is either still experimenting or the feature is just not well baked. Either way I hope to see major improvements, otherwise I'd say that's not a feature that should be advertised for the car.
Agreed 100%. It’s complete junk. Depending on how it “calibrates” on any given drive it will actually amplify the road noise. Does my head in.

By the way, about 7 or so years ago I used to live in a skyscraper in downtown San Francisco. The noise at night was so unbearable that I thought of making a device that makes active noise cancelling in the room, so I could sleep.
In theory, it's a simple concept - you use a microphone to detect the sound waves, then you reverse them and emit them their reverse amplitude through a speaker. In practice though it turned out extremely difficult when you have a large area with a lot of unknowns (unlike headphones which are confined to a really small area). One issue is that in the case of open space (and a car is also an open space for the occupants) the noise comes from all sides (as it reflects on walls and windows) and you have to counter all of these emissions in real time. In my ~6months struggle to solve this, I came to the conclusion that it can't be done in an open space, although I am not a genius so maybe someone else could do it. In my case, the biggest issue I had was that the sound processing took longer than 0 time, which inevitably lead to me NOT cancelling the sound but instead just running it with an offset of a few milliseconds, which was enough of an offset to actually amplify the terror instead of reducing it.
So, just wanted to give that as perspective, that it's no easy task. For me I mostly feel as if my parents promised to take me to Disneyland but took me to Costco instead. It's been 1 year and while I totally love my Model S, few of the things that made me switch from my M3P to the MS were ANC and tilting screen which was supposed to be software enabled, which as we know never materialized for those of us who bought the MS early on 🤷‍♂️

On my car this used to work, but now it always says "Temporarily unavailable" instead of optimized from front occupants or calibrating. The service center claims it's a problem that will be fixed with a software update, although I've updated twice (now on 2022.16.1.2) and it's still stuck there. Does anyone else have this issue?

Always works for me, never makes things worse.

Not a remarkable improvement but I notice when it’s off.

Calibration takes longer than I’d like.

Not an option I would pay more than $500 for if they charged for it, and half of that would be an “on the come” bet that they’ll make it better than it is now.

Reactions: Jabbahop
On my car this used to work, but now it always says "Temporarily unavailable" instead of optimized from front occupants or calibrating. The service center claims it's a problem that will be fixed with a software update, although I've updated twice (now on 2022.16.1.2) and it's still stuck there. Does anyone else have this issue?
I’m on the same version and it calibrates in about 1 mile on the highway.

My Refresh S shows “Calibrating 0%”. Been stuck that way since October when first activated. Anybody have any ideas how to fix this? Service is trying to figure it out.
Probably won’t help but one thing I learned today is it likes the radio OFF.

I was driving along and thought the road was a tad louder. I go in and sure enough I see it was calibration and bouncing between 20% and 40% and back to 20%. Stop the radio and it immediately started climbing to 60%,80% done.

If yours is stuck at 0% I suspect a mic is broken or disconnected. But it can be a little fussy.

Probably won’t help but one thing I learned today is it likes the radio OFF.

I was driving along and thought the road was a tad louder. I go in and sure enough I see it was calibration and bouncing between 20% and 40% and back to 20%. Stop the radio and it immediately started climbing to 60%,80% done.

If yours is stuck at 0% I suspect a mic is broken or disconnected. But it can be a little fussy.
It makes me wonder how on earth this feature can possibly work if the radio is on when calibrating.

I think this feature is getting better.

When it first came out, I could hear no difference. Now, when I turn it off, I can definitely notice a difference. It's subtle, but turning it off then on again produces a noticeable change in low frequencies. I've also noticed significantly less instances of it going "out of sync" and creating additional noise, which used to happen frequently.

It does still seem to work better when the back seat isn't occupied (optimized for front occupants only).

If you've turned it off and left it off since it released, give it a try again, you might be surprised!

I agree. But what I’m running into to is it will randomly get stuck in calibrating. If the radio is playing and calibrating it won’t finish. If I pause the radio it finishes and then I can start radio.

And I do notice now when tire noise is abnormally high because it’s calibrating. Even with radio playing.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I think this feature is getting better.

When it first came out, I could hear no difference. Now, when I turn it off, I can definitely notice a difference. It's subtle, but turning it off then on again produces a noticeable change in low frequencies. I've also noticed significantly less instances of it going "out of sync" and creating additional noise, which used to happen frequently.

It does still seem to work better when the back seat isn't occupied (optimized for front occupants only).

If you've turned it off and left it off since it released, give it a try again, you might be surprised!
Interesting. Also I’m still very convinced that they update the algorithm behind our backs without an actual software update give my experience last year - here’s a quick recap:

One day, last year, before the ARNR software update, my car was howling down the road. I figured it was tires as it was colder and I was on the PS4S. The noise was awful. I had posted here and nobody knew what it was, and it literally started from one drive to the next. Turns out Tesla had turned on the ARNR behind the scenes on my car, perhaps for testing/pre-release. Many weeks later I got the ARNR software update which added the toggle in the menu to enable/disable, and since someone else said it had created a right racket in their car, I put two and two together and disabled it, - peace and quiet finally! I’ll give it a go again next time I’m out.

Thankfully as of recent software updates Tesla does not automatically turn ARNR on again randomly like they used to, even if you set it to off. So it has at least stayed off since I disabled it.

Reactions: lzolman
Interesting. Also I’m still very convinced that they update the algorithm behind our backs without an actual software update give my experience last year - here’s a quick recap:

One day, last year, before the ARNR software update, my car was howling down the road. I figured it was tires as it was colder and I was on the PS4S. The noise was awful. I had posted here and nobody knew what it was, and it literally started from one drive to the next. Turns out Tesla had turned on the ARNR behind the scenes on my car, perhaps for testing/pre-release. Many weeks later I got the ARNR software update which added the toggle in the menu to enable/disable, and since someone else said it had created a right racket in their car, I put two and two together and disabled it, - peace and quiet finally! I’ll give it a go again next time I’m out.

Thankfully as of recent software updates Tesla does not automatically turn ARNR on again randomly like they used to, even if you set it to off. So it has at least stayed off since I disabled it.

Yeah, try it again. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised, though as we all know with Tesla, experiences may vary....

Reactions: WilliamG