Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Active Road Noise Cancellation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting in that on the OEM 21's I had a consistently marked improvement.

I put the aftermarket 20" Pilot Sport A/S back on. It is now hit or miss. About 50% it is a marked improvement. 25% no notice. 25% worse echoing sound.

Interesting in that on the OEM 21's I had a consistently marked improvement.

I put the aftermarket 20" Pilot Sport A/S back on. It is now hit or miss. About 50% it is a marked improvement. 25% no notice. 25% worse echoing sound.
The echo sound bug is an abomination, and they all do it at some point (I’ve tested on multiple cars). I guess like the vibration issue most people are just oblivious.

My Active Noise went whacko over the weekend.

It happened just as the speed limit reduced which forced the car to slowdown in AutoPilot.

Horrible screeching sound. No idea what it was and thought I blew a motor or something. Pulled over and it stopped. No errors on the dash. Started to drive again and the noise started again.

Then I had a hunch it was noise cancelation. Turn it off and it stopped. Only thing I did.

Most owners know volumes of things are pretty messed up. Sometimes blinkers are loud, sometimes soft, sometimes normal. Nav level can jump around too.

What I think happened is the noise cancelation was suddenly excessively loud.

A Little later, turned it back on and it was fine.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
My Active Noise went whacko over the weekend.

It happened just as the speed limit reduced which forced the car to slowdown in AutoPilot.

Horrible screeching sound. No idea what it was and thought I blew a motor or something. Pulled over and it stopped. No errors on the dash. Started to drive again and the noise started again.

Then I had a hunch it was noise cancelation. Turn it off and it stopped. Only thing I did.

Most owners know volumes of things are pretty messed up. Sometimes blinkers are loud, sometimes soft, sometimes normal. Nav level can jump around too.

What I think happened is the noise cancelation was suddenly excessively loud.

A Little later, turned it back on and it was fine.
That’s nuts. I’d leave it off. Not worth the hassle. In my experience it either does marginal-to-no-good or introduces noise. @jebinc

Reactions: jebinc
To update, I'm now on 2022.40.4.1. Figured it was worth trying Active Road Noise Reduction to see if Tesla has made any improvements.

NOPE!

Still an absolute abomination. Turned it on while going 60mph, - it calibrated over the next couple of minutes and then introduced MORE tire noise echo, easily reproducible by toggling it on and off. How does Tesla get away with this crap?

• Funny
To update, I'm now on 2022.40.4.1. Figured it was worth trying Active Road Noise Reduction to see if Tesla has made any improvements.

NOPE!

Still an absolute abomination. Turned it on while going 60mph, - it calibrated over the next couple of minutes and then introduced MORE tire noise echo, easily reproducible by toggling it on and off. How does Tesla get away with this crap?
Because they can (until there is more competition). How do they get away with the years worth of BS on FSD? All of the software that has been in beta state for many years? Rhetorical.

I suspect ANC is not really possible in a vehicle. ANC works great with headphones or earbuds, where you can separate your hearing from the outside noise to reject. With vehicle ANC, over the entire frequency range, with multiple sound sources and various sound phases trying to reduce noise at multiple moving spots in the car (i.e. your ears) does not seem possible. Great idea, but not practical in my opinion. I give Tesla a couple of brownie points for trying, but as others have concluded, it's a dead feature and I wouldn't expect to see it ever really working.

While my esteemed colleagues @jebinc and @WilliamG would disagree, I have success with the ARNR more times than not. That is why I say it works but not consistently. I feel it is not ridiculous but not perfect either.

Had a chance for a nice drive with my new P Zero Winter in the OEM size 21". These are the T0 marked so they have the foam and EV designation. The tires took the road noise down considerably over the Pilot Sport All Seasons I was running. During the drive on side streets and interstate, it definitely made a difference toggling the switch. It subdued a few tones enough to be noticeable.

Keep in mind this is no longer thought of a ANC but ARNR so they have admitted their defeat to an ANC level of reduction.

Still a work in progress but leaps ahead of it when it first came out in the car. It has improved to the point that I leave it turned on 100% of the time.

While my esteemed colleagues @jebinc and @WilliamG would disagree, I have success with the ARNR more times than not. That is why I say it works but not consistently. I feel it is not ridiculous but not perfect either.

Had a chance for a nice drive with my new P Zero Winter in the OEM size 21". These are the T0 marked so they have the foam and EV designation. The tires took the road noise down considerably over the Pilot Sport All Seasons I was running. During the drive on side streets and interstate, it definitely made a difference toggling the switch. It subdued a few tones enough to be noticeable.

Keep in mind this is no longer thought of a ANC but ARNR so they have admitted their defeat to an ANC level of reduction.

Still a work in progress but leaps ahead of it when it first came out in the car. It has improved to the point that I leave it turned on 100% of the time.
I find that truly fascinating. I’ve tried ARNR on 3 or 4 new S and it’s awful in all of them. I can’t fathom it…🤷🏻‍♂️

• Informative