Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual Delivery & Video Owners' Manual: Poor Customer Service is Fake News?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen many posts saying that the service centers and delivery experience gives poor customer service. Is it fake news? The mobile rangers, my local Tesla service center, and delivery that I've experienced were all of top quality customer service.

Here is my actual delivery experience:

The side trim under the left side of the vehicle was falling off. I thought the battery tray was falling off. In a panic, I went to my local service center without an appointment, unannounced. The Tesla service guy pops it back in for me. It took all of 1 minute and I did not have to wait at all.

The last mobile service ranger that visited me fixed an incompletely closing battery cover. However, he also pumped air in to my tires and replaced the missing chrome license plate holder bolt covers, without my asking. I get the distinct feeling that those complaining about negative Tesla customer service are from a parallel universe?

Service is only as good as the human beings performing it, so there will always be variations. This can be helped (or hindered) by a companies particular policies, but it still boils down to a specific individual's ability to provide good service (and a customers ability to perceive what good service actually is).

Many times, "bad service" boils down to "they did not do exactly what I wanted". Not all the time, for sure, but in many cases an inability to "do what the customer wants, however reasonable or unreasonable it is" is perceived as bad service.

In OPs case, you should keep the names / numbers / contact information if you have it for the people who have helped you, making sure to thank them if you interact with them. Doing so will practically ensure that those people continue to do everything they can to help you.

Usually at this point, people start saying things like "well my situation is different" or " they get paid to help me, they are just doing their job as they are supposed to" or some variation of those themes.

I have said this on various message boards, but when dealing with a service person, there is ALWAYS a difference in what they have to do, and what they "can" do if motivated to help "you". When you have an issue, convincing someone who has the power to say "yes" to say "yes" in YOUR specific situation is the goal of the interaction. People in service jobs have been $@%$Q# on so much, they tend to be jaded.. so when someone is nice to them when bringing issues to their attention, it stands out.. and they usually WANT to help that person (unless they have been burned by helping someone in the past and having it thrown back in their face).

(spoken as not someone in the car business, but who provides a service in a different industry).

I agree about the mobile rangers (had pretty good experience with them), but wait until you have some issue that requires a replacement part. I drove around without a properly working turn signal for months because they were waiting for a part. This kind of thing together with a shortage of certified body shops is what makes the experience miserable for many people.

I'm sure some SC's are better than others, but you also have people who make it their life mission to be miserable. In regards to Teslas, these are usually the "panel-gappers", the ones who whine and complain because something was a millimeter off of absolute perfection, when simply loosening a few bolts, adjusting the part, and re-tightening the bolts is all that's needed.

These are the same people, who if you handed them a 1 kilogram bar of gold, they'd bitch because it wasn't shiny enough or had a nick in one corner.

I actually did need a replacement part. The battery charge port was not closing correctly. I waited 2 weeks for the part to arrive. I was driving around for 2 weeks with an open battery charge port cover. After it arrived, the ranger came to my house and fixed my car in my garage. However, this is not a problem unique to Tesla. My Nissan Leaf suffered a fender bender. It took 1 month for the fender to be shipped from Japan.

I agree about the mobile rangers (had pretty good experience with them), but wait until you have some issue that requires a replacement part. I drove around without a properly working turn signal for months because they were waiting for a part. This kind of thing together with a shortage of certified body shops is what makes the experience miserable for many people.
n