Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

adapter recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not unprecedented. Tesla recalled and replaced the NEMA 14-50 adapter a few years ago after some overheating issues. The newer ones had some sort of embedded thermal fuse in them. Later, in Canada only, Tesla replaced the entire UMC set which came with an even newer NEMA 14-50 adapter that limits charging to 32 amps max now. I believe the US UMCs are still good for 40 amps.

No, you mean newer 14-50s are not.

The recall does not affect 14-50 adapter, so I said what I meant...
Tesla-nema-14-30-recall.jpeg

Reactions: MP3Mike
Do you think that this means Tesla will start selling the 10-30 adapter again?
One would think. I received my 10-30 replacement today. Therefore, they are manufacturing them. Even if they are not listed in their store, there is a distinct possibility that they made enough to replace all the recalled adapters, plus a good number more as a buffer. If one was to call Tesla directly, they could potentially be put on a wait list for left-overs.

My new 10-30 arrived friday and I got a chance to test it yesterday. Seems fine, charge rate and voltages to the car seem pretty similar, although I only added 30 miles of range. I use my 10-30 a lot and the old one never gave a lick of trouble.

Well, one lick of trouble. The only receptacle suitable for making an extension cord or adapter that I was able to find cost $80 from mcmaster-carr and is gigantic. I bought one, but it irritates me and I needed several 24/30 amp adapters (*). So I use L6-30 (much smaller, and $8 from amazon) and just have the one adapter. I hope they'll sell me an L6-30 adapter for my UMC so I can do away with my kludge.

-Snortybartfast

(*)10-30 extension, 14-30, L14-30, TT-30, 6-30, 14-50 30 amp downcoverter. I also have an L6-30 extension, which is a bunch smaller than a 14-50 extension, and a hack that connects an 14-50p to an L6-30r and 5-20r so I could trickle-charge my ICE battery from the same plug as I charge my tesla.