Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Recall: 23V-085

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone received an OTA Fix for the NHTSA Recall: 23V-085; published in April 2023; I received this letter and was patiently waiting for Tesla to fix the issue, when I was looking for information on the latest Recall, my original recall was not listed for my VIN. Called Tesla, and they said my car was not impacted as I did not have FSDb (which I do), I have requested escalation from CS.

Does anyone know what are the rules for car makers to follow when they have a recall, can they just remove a vehicle from the recall list without providing any explanation? How long can a recall be present without a proper explanation or timeline for fixes to be delivered?

This remedy came with 2022.45.10 / FSD Beta 11.3.1 back in March. Tesla has a dedicated support page: Update Vehicle Firmware to Improve Certain FSD Beta Driving Operations

The release notes included a dedicated entry:

In accordance with a recent recall (campaign #23V085 for US and #2023-063 for Canada), Tesla is making improvements to the following specific behaviors within FSD Beta:​
1. Improved decision logic to proceed through or stop at certain yellow lights by modeling the decision as a tradeoff framework that considers estimated: deceleration required to stop, time to enter and exit the intersection, and the distance traversed across the intersection before the light transitions to red. This should make yellow light handling more natural and human-like.​
2. Improved the longitudinal slowdown control profile when leading up to stop sign intersections to make the overall maneuver feel more perceptible and natural.​
3. Improved the Tesla's speed adjustment when entering certain speed zones by allowing for earlier control for detected speed limit signs. The assertiveness of the response when slowing down for detected speed limit signs is determined by the current speed and its difference to the speed indicated by the detected sign. Added a visual glow behind the speed limit icon on the user-interface to alert the driver when the vehicle’s set speed exceeds the detected speed limit by more than 50%. Finally, the option for an absolute Speed Limit offset in FSD Beta was removed; only the percent-based offset will be available.​
4. Updated the behavior for certain scenarios where the Tesla may maneuver from a turn lane to continue traveling straight. These maneuvers will now be treated as a lane change, where the turn indicator is used to alert other drivers of the Tesla's intent.​
As a reminder, the driver is responsible for vehicle operation even when FSD Beta is engaged. You must constantly supervise the road, keep your hands on the wheel and be ready to intervene to maintain safety.​

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
The seems backward: the recall was for non-fsd autopilot which (until this patch) didn't look at your face while driving and didn't nag *all the time* (as I understand it reading the release notes). So this will remove the ability to use old-Autopilot w/o continuous nagging on the freeway, but it shouldn't affect FSD-beta since that was already super-horrible with nagging. Thanks to folks using a weight on the wheel they've made it so sensitive its basically unusable except for city street stuff (IMO).

I prefer to have a 'long distance XC' mode that doesn't nag on long straight freeway drives continuously (regardless of torque or eyeball activity) so I'm going to skip this update (and future ones) until V12 comes out. If you don't like the upgrade nags you can use the service menu to 'reinstall' the current version, this wipes out the downloaded upgrade and shuts up the nags for a while. Change the wifi password and you'll get even more peace between nags as they don't want to pay to push their toxic update via cellular.

Its a shame I won't get the FSD beta improvements (which seem worthwhile).

Reactions: Tezla1
If you receive a letter for a software recall you will have the update for a month or more before the letter was ever mailed. For instance you will receive a letter in late February about the recall that is in the Holiday update (23.44.30.x).

Yeah, my problem is " Note: The remedy is not yet available for vehicles with NVIDIA® Tegra® and will deploy OTA once the software is available." what is the manufacturer's responsibility here? Also, if Tesla says I don't have FSDb when I do, how is this fixed in Tesla's records? I have an Escalation request to Tesla CS/Service Center with no response.

Yeah, my problem is " Note: The remedy is not yet available for vehicles with NVIDIA® Tegra® and will deploy OTA once the software is available." what is the manufacturer's responsibility here? Also, if Tesla says I don't have FSDb when I do, how is this fixed in Tesla's records? I have an Escalation request to Tesla CS/Service Center with no response.
But that page hasn't been updated since it was published. The update was released, and you likely have is since Tesla says you're vehicle is no longer impacted.

What version is currently on your car?