Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adapters for Charging in California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a new owner of Model 3. Haven’t charged away for on home yet. I have seen people post that they have a whole assortment of adapters for different chargers to use on the road. Apart from the ones that came with the car, are there others that I need to buy?

The only one that you may use is the j1772 adapter that comes free with the car. You need that if you want to charge at ChargePoint or Blink or some of the 3rd party charging stations. There is also CHAdeMO adapter but they don't make it for Model 3 yet (only S and X). We have our Model X for 8 months and never had to use the j1772 that we carry in the car. There are so many superchargers in CA.

Yeah, if you live in LA, there are so many Superchargers around you won't need any adapters. Otherwise, the only public ones you can use that aren't Superchargers (which don't need an adapter since it's by Tesla for Tesla) is the J1772 Need talked about. The CHAdeMO adapter doesn't work yet like he said, and it costs like $500 so may not be worth it based on where you live anyways.

The other adapters that Tesla sells in addition to the J1772, the NEMA 14-50 and regular 110 adapters that come with the car are used if you have a specific other outlet that you are going to be charging from. This could be a dryer outlet in your garage, an older outlet or some other special outlet you come across. You should be fine with the adapters that come with your car, and as noted above there are many superchargers in California.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
You guys are so helpful! I'm driving up to Bay Area soon, but I expect that they should have a lot of superchargers around there, too. I got the PlugShare app and fingers crossed!
Rosalind,
You need to go to....

supercharge.info

- that site shows where all the Superchargers are located (worldwide) - working, construction and planning status. Very up to date.
As of this message there are 557 open in USA 1337 open in World.

Also, on your Nav screen, the Superchargers are shown in Red

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I use my J1772 adapter all the time in SoCal because I’d rather charge for free than even pay for supercharging unless I need to quickly charge. Whole Foods in Burbank has 10 free Volta chargers right by my work. Also, when I went to an outdoor movie in Pasadena near City Hall, there was a garage with free charging and $5 flat rate parking fee.

I have no way to charge at home or at work btw

Reactions: Rosalind
Our dryer plug is a NEMA 10-30 so we needed to buy an adapter for it. Our house is 50 years old so I'm not sure if newer houses have just a 14-50 or what but check your plug and see what you need.
Since you asked about it, here's the info on dryer outlets. The change of dryer outlet types was fairly recent--about 1996. Before that, dryers used 10-30, which have the two hots for the 240V and then a Neutral line, but there is no dedicated ground. Not having a real ground has some conditions where it might not exactly be safe, so electric code started requiring 14 series outlets instead of the 10 series ones. So newer houses, since 1996, have 14-30 outlets for the clothes dryers.
Receptacle Roundup IV: NEMA 10-30 and 14-30

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA