Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adapters for other public chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I soon be doing some traveling trips with our Tesla.

I love the convience of the Tesla Superchargers, but would like to be able to use other services out there if I need one.

What Ada pagers would I need and any links to good places to purchase them

CCS is used in Europe, not in the US, as far as I know. You'll be fine with the J-1772. In order for it to work reliably, a SC guy told me that the car must be set to charge at 30 a or less, then you plug in the adapter, and THEN you plug in the actual charging plug. I've had problems doing it any differently.

Have fun!

• Disagree
Reactions: cwerdna
As suggest previously, the car will not work with CCS unless the function is supported by the car. Look under “Additional vehicle information“ and see if it says:

CCS adapter support: Enabled
Apparently, this particular model of CCS has a USB port to charge it and update the firmware. I'm not sure that this is the same as the Tesla model to come, whereby it would require the car to have the hardware/firmware to handle it.

There is this one which is after market.

I’m pretty sure these types of aftermarket CCS adapters emulates Chademo to the car so the max charge rate is 50kw. The other issue is sometimes it just doesn’t work and can take a while for a firmware fix to come out.

It’s basically a YMMV type of experience with these adapters.

Apparently, this particular model of CCS has a USB port to charge it and update the firmware. I'm not sure that this is the same as the Tesla model to come, whereby it would require the car to have the hardware/firmware to handle it.
That CCS adapter that's sold by Lectron emulates a ChaDeMo charger. Tesla's CCS adapter is pass-through and all the logic is the car's charge port ECU (and supports way faster charge rates than the ChaDeMo adapter). The problem with Tesla's adapter is that they don't sell it outside of South Korea. And if the ChaDeMo adapter was anything to go by, it will be out of stock all the time once they start selling it in North America.

That CCS adapter that's sold by Lectron emulates a ChaDeMo charger. Tesla's CCS adapter is pass-through and all the logic is the car's charge port ECU (and supports way faster charge rates than the ChaDeMo adapter). The problem with Tesla's adapter is that they don't sell it outside of South Korea. And if the ChaDeMo adapter was anything to go by, it will be out of stock all the time once they start selling it in North America.

Could you be mistaken? Looks more like CCS to Tesla to me. Not CHAdeMO.

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 12.35.59.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 12.35.59.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 12.35.59.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
My wife and I soon be doing some traveling trips with our Tesla.

I love the convience of the Tesla Superchargers, but would like to be able to use other services out there if I need one.

What Ada pagers would I need and any links to good places to purchase them

Since you are a new owner, you are likely "planning for eventualities that are not likely to happen".

Unless you camp a lot or something, it is unlikely you will be going out of the range of the supercharger network, or standard L2 J1772 chargers (every level 2 charger except for tesla).

"Most" people dont need ChaDemo, or CCS, in the US for simple road trips. OP, before you buy anything at all, try going to the website "Abetterrouteplanner"

( ABRP )

Putting in every trip you can think of you might take, and see what it says. I predict you will find you wont need to buy a bunch of adapters, unless you are going camping in the woods or something.

Could you be mistaken? Looks more like CCS to Tesla to me. Not CHAdeMO.
The way this one works is that it mechanically adapts between CCS and Tesla, but because it was made for Tesla cars which didn't "speak" CCS on the car, the communications side is not nearly so simple. The Lectron/Setec adapter is basically "pretending" to be Chademo in terms of the protocols it's speaking to the car--it has a chip onboard that's translating between the CCS communications protocols for the station-side and the Chademo protocols for the Tesla side. Because it's pretending to be a Tesla Chademo adapter to the car, it's limited to the 50 kW of the Tesla adapter. Telsa's also been playing "whack-a-mole" with trying to prohibit its use in software, so I'd be wary of relying on it.

With Tesla now making some cars with chips that let the car speak CCS directly to a station, a simple "passthrough" passive adapter should be capable of allowing >100 kW charging, and such an adapter exists in South Korea, but they've been dragging their feet on implementing it in the US and the only third party version, from EVHub, is in Ukraine and currently has their factory being bombed by the Russians.

I've yet to see any place in the US where having a CCS adapter makes any sense compared to using superchargers but I'm open to being shown some

In really remote places you'd be more likely to benefit from a 14-50 adapter ($45 from Tesla) for the Tesla EVSE to use at RV parks in desperate times, and most municipal chargers are J1772 which the car already comes with an adapter for.

I've yet to see any place in the US where having a CCS adapter makes any sense compared to using superchargers but I'm open to being shown some

In really remote places you'd be more likely to benefit from a 14-50 adapter ($45 from Tesla) for the Tesla EVSE to use at RV parks in desperate times, and most municipal chargers are J1772 which the car already comes with an adapter for.
It increases the number of stalls available nationwide with >70 kW capability by about 30% and close to double the number of actual locations. Some places, that means new stations right near or actually co-located with Tesla Superchargers, but others are not. For instance, in Oklahoma, the green here are Tesla Supercharger sites, and the orange are CCS sites with >70 kW charging available. While the Supercharger network can absolutely get you around the state, any random spot in the state is likely to be closer to a CCS site.

1648494492546.png

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic
CCS is used in Europe, not in the US, as far as I know.
No. There are two flavors of CCS:
CCS1 aka Combo1 aka SAE Combo aka J1772 CCS - MANY MANY non-Tesla vehicles are compatible with this like my former '19 Bolt and my current '22 Niro EV. Top portion is J1772.

This is the DC FC standard that virtually all non-Tesla currently sold as new consumer BEV automobiles sold in the US can use. The big exception is Leaf, which can be compatible w/CHAdeMO. And, all US Leafs are J1772 compatible natively (like all other non-Tesla consumer highway legal EV/PHEV automobiles sold as new in the US since Dec 2010.)

CCS2 aka Combo2 - this is used in Europe since the top portion is Mennekes Type 2 which we don't have in the US.

What is CHAdeMO charging? near the bottom has a visual aid of the connectors.