TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Adaptive Cruise Control without AP?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by slipnslider, Apr 17, 2017.

1. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

For those who aren't interested in autopilot, or who think the price for AP is too high, do you think there will be ACC available? Can you currently get a model S or X with ACC and no autopilot?

Or do you have to choose between autopilot or plain old fashioned dumb cruise control?

2. swaltner

swaltner Member

Current vehicles without the AP option get the dumb cruise control. The only way to get TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) is to purchase the AP option (now EAP option - Enhanced AutoPilot). Once you purchase the AP/EAP option, you are no longer able to use the dumb-style cruise control. That's how it is currently, and any speculation on how it will be implemented in future vehicles is just speculation.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Nobody knows. I wondered in another thread whether they might break things down a bit more for the Model 3 rather than having a single $5000 option.

4. acentre

acentre Member

I think most would prefer adaptive cruise standard. It is expected on a vehicle in this price point.

• Like x 3
  5. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I'm pretty sure it's not standard on the BMW 3 series, the Mercedes C class or the Audi A4.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  6. acentre

acentre Member

Standard on new Toyota Corolla!

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

Which really is amazing, but I suspect that the Model 3 isn't being positioned against the Toyota Corolla.

8. acentre

acentre Member

It's not!
    It should contain all standard items available on the Corolla, plus additional obvious enhancements.

• Like x 4
  9. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

Yeah like a driver's instrument cluster for starters....

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  10. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Here we go....

11. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

An analog one! gotta keep it real...

12. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

#12 internalaudit, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    $7,100 for EAP (Model S) here in Canada and like the thread starter, I just want adaptive cruise control and none of the rest. :(

And yes, I noticed the base Corolla has this function. Too bad I don't want another ICE vehicle but I might just skip ACC if it only comes with EAP and makes the car that much more expensive.

Enhanced Autopilot adds new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. The
    enhancements include going from one to four cameras for greater accuracy, redundancy.
    and to see fast-approaching vehicles in adjacent lanes. In addition. 12 ultrasonic sonar
    sensors provide 360 degree coverage around your car with almost twice the range and
    resolution of the prior version.

The significantly increased sensor information is processed by a computer that is over 40
    times more powerful than before. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep
    within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input transition from one
    freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a
    parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage. That said. Enhanced Autopilot
    should still be considered a driver’s assistance feature with the driver responsible for
    remaining in control of the car at all times.

Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software has begun rolling out and features will continue to be
    introduced as validation is completed. subject to regulatory approval.

13. dennis_d

dennis_d Member

TACC is not standard at 70k price point, why do you think it should be standard at 35K?

14. acentre

acentre Member

Again, standard on Corolla.

15. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

This is why I've felt that current EAP should be standard on the Model 3 because it's more of a safety feature and FSD should be the only AP option.

16. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

If ACC will not be offered on its own, hopefully Tesla will offer two levels of EAP on the 3 as I just want the bare minimum to get the ACC.

17. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

OK, first of all the adaptive cruise control on the Corolla is a cheaper variant that is a far cry from the adaptive cruise control on the more expensive cars. It tracks the car in front of you on a highway, but does not do stop and go tracking for congested highways (it cuts out below 25 mph). Also, it's not uncommon to have cheap cars include one or two lesser implementations of "fancy" features to attract customers, but it doesn't impact the Model 3 in the slightest because the Corolla is not competition for the Model 3. For cars that are competition, they all offer full stop and go adaptive cruise control, and it is never standard.

• Informative x 1
  18. EkBuZ

EkBuZ Member

It may be standard on a Corolla, but probably nothing else near it. When I was car shopping ~3 years ago, it was a feature few and far between in what I was looking at (Fusion, Altima, 6, Accord, etc).

19. dennis_d

dennis_d Member

You can buy Corolla and have ACC cheap

• Funny x 1
  20. stefan.bc

stefan.bc I see dead headlights!

#20 stefan.bc, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

Try Subaru EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology [2] • Blind-Spot Detection with Lane Change Assist and Rear Cross Traffic Alert[6]
    For less than 30.000 depending on the model

It does stop and go and it has a regular cruise control available.

• Like x 1