Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding Glovebox to the Quick Access ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

There is a very common complaint across the community about Glovebox not being very accessible for obvious reasons. Apparently since 2019, its "work in progress". Meanwhile, was wondering if anybody has suggested or requested (to Elon or anybody else within Tesla) to simply add 'Glovebox' to the Quick Access (favourites) tray ?

We already have settings like Steering heating, Wipers etc so the UI is already there. Can they not just add Glovebox to it with almost no effort ?

PS: I'm not aware of anyway to edit the Quick Access icon and add 'Glovebox' to it

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 5.29.08 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 5.29.08 pm.png
    350.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
Hi,

There is a very common complaint across the community about Glovebox not being very accessible for obvious reasons. Apparently since 2019, its being "work in progress". Meanwhile, was wondering if anybody has suggested or requested (to Elon or anybody else within Tesla) to simply add 'Glovebox' to the Quick Access (favourites) tray ?

We already have car settings like Steering heating, Wipers etc so the UI is already there. Can they not just add Glovebox to it with almost no effort ?
I think this is one of those things that they could do, but would it be widely used? Most do not use their glovebox but a few times per year.

I agree options are best for all, but prioritizing takes place like making the car dance and fart sounds, of course.

Reactions: CT3PO and MrNik
Hi,

There is a very common complaint across the community about Glovebox not being very accessible for obvious reasons. Apparently since 2019, its "work in progress". Meanwhile, was wondering if anybody has suggested or requested (to Elon or anybody else within Tesla) to simply add 'Glovebox' to the Quick Access (favourites) tray ?

We already have settings like Steering heating, Wipers etc so the UI is already there. Can they not just add Glovebox to it with almost no effort ?

PS: I'm not aware of anyway to edit the Quick Access icon and add 'Glovebox' to it
Press button say "Open Glovebox"

It's pretty easy and quick for me.

In the meantime I think there's a voice command for it. If you buy the S3XY buttons you can assign that to one of your buttons, which is what I did.
Yeah the voice command is an alternative but is still not idea when I’m driving & my wife needs to access it immediately.

I wasn’t aware of this S3XY buttons, thanks. Let me have a look at it on their shop

Update: wow this costs £155!!

Last edited:
Yeah it’s the best option available but still isn’t ideal if I’m driving & concentrating on something else
There are dozens if not hundreds of things on a car that need adjusting. Everyone tends to think that the way that they do it is best. So there would need to be hundreds of buttons or knobs to do so.

The glovebox isn't a real common thing to use. If a driver needs to do it, one push, a few words and it's open. If a passenger needs to do it, then I believe it requires two presses on the screen. As well as I can remember, it's the bottom left button for settings and open glovebox is on the quick settings page.

I wasn’t aware of this S3XY buttons, thanks. Let me have a look at it on their shop

Update: wow this costs £155!!
Yeah, maybe not for everyone. I wouldn't buy them just to solve the glovebox problem but they work very well and have interesting features worth considering. I use them mainly for: disabling auto headlights and auto wipers on autopilot (!), folding mirrors on a button, toggling rear ac on a button, enabling offroad mode on a model 3 that doesn't have the feature in the UI.

There are dozens if not hundreds of things on a car that need adjusting. Everyone tends to think that the way that they do it is best. So there would need to be hundreds of buttons or knobs to do so.

The glovebox isn't a real common thing to use. If a driver needs to do it, one push, a few words and it's open. If a passenger needs to do it, then I believe it requires two presses on the screen. As well as I can remember, it's the bottom left button for settings and open glovebox is on the quick settings page.
So what if there are hundreds of things that needs adjusting, does that mean we shouldn’t talk about any ? Your logic can be applied any of the hundreds

Reactions: zoomer0056
Yeah the voice command is an alternative but is still not idea when I’m driving & my wife needs to access it immediately.

This is exactly my use case for what you are asking for. I keep our discount and gift cards in the glove box and my nail buffer so I have something semi-productive to do.

For those of you suggesting voice command, I find my husband hates it when I hit the button on the steering wheel while he's driving. And it burns me up to have to ask him to access voice command for me. I effin can speak for myself.

It used to be, when we first got our car in 2020, I could press the microphone button on the bottom of the screen and access voice command. That was taken away sometime in late 2020 or early 2021, BEFORE "open glovebox" was implement on the Model Y (it was on other Teslas.) Now there's "Open Glovebox " command but no way for me to access voice command (and it isn't something available in the app which is how I control some of the other things I would like to control, for instance, the seat heaters in the second row.)

Reactions: rich123
For those of you suggesting voice command, I find my husband hates it when I hit the button on the steering wheel while he's driving. And it burns me up to have to ask him to access voice command for me. I effin can speak for myself.
Wow, you both are just ridiculous. Talk "not voice command, ha ha" about making things complicated . . . jeeze Louise. Wait ... are you telling me you have not trained your husband with voice commands? Just get some S3XY buttons.

Last edited:
Wow, you both are just ridiculous. Talk "not voice command, ha ha" about making things complicated . . . jeeze Louise. Wait ... are you telling me you have not trained your husband with voice commands? Just get some S3XY buttons.
Why should I have to say, "Honey, could you please ask the glovebox to open?

Yet, those who don't feel not being able to put the glovebox open as one of our quick access choices, tell us passengers who would like it there either:

1. we should just put up with pulling up the home options screen, then pressing the open glovebox, then closing that (and while doing that blocking the map for the driver when the driver might want it left unblocked at that moment) or

2. Not using the storage spot that is right in front of us and which doesn't require the driver moving his arm off the arm rest so that we can access whatever it is we want. Instead these people expect us to put whatever it is that is in the glove box, handy only to the passenger, into one of the centre console storage areas that are handy to both driver and passenger.

In our car, things that the driver might need access to are in the centre console. Stuff that is only needed when the car is stopped (registration info, restaurant gift cards) or by the passenger is kept in the glove box.

It's not available in the S and X. Only 3 and Y
And not available to me because I don't have that update yet (despite it being out for months, now.) So don't mention that this issue has been 'solved'. It has but only for certain people and not everyone and no indication when it will be available to others.

Oh, and this was the advise given to me from another TMC member: "For improved happiness, it might be wise to refrain from reading about the features in each new non-FSD SW branch. Just let it all be a pleasant surprise when this features show up in the FSD versions many months later."

Personally, I feel I need to read forums because otherwise I won't know WTF is happening with my car with each update (or to even trigger an update). Tesla notes are incomplete at best, so forums is where I learn what information is now displayed in a new place or how to find the new location of 'muscle memory' actions that used to be triggered one way but are now triggered a new way - or just gone, like the voice command icon on main screen.