Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on choosing 75 or 100

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ORDER DAY UPDATE

First off, thank you for all the comments and feedback. It was really helpful. This community is awesome and I'm so glad to be joining it.

So today was order day and after all the going back and fourth, I decided to go with... drum roll please... the 75D in Deep Blue Metallic with the sunroof, 19" silver wheels, White Premium interior, PUP and EAP.

My decision was made based on a few factors:

1. I did some calculations on range assuming a 75D (416KM range) with 90% maximum charge (374.4KM range) and a battery efficiency of 90% (non-extreme weather) and 60% (extreme weather) and I came up with an estimated useable range of 337KM and 224KM respectively. Assuming a 75KM commute and that would give me 4.5 and 3.0 commutes respectively even if I received NO CHARGING at home. Considering that I will have at least some charging at home, even if it is only 110V/15A, I think it is fairly safe that I will be able to manage my range for day-to-day commuting.

2. The supercharger network in Western Canada is getting better and better and most of the longer trips I planned out seemed easily doable with one or two stops at superchargers along the way.

3. The additional $280/month or $3,360/year is not insignificant and would probably be better spent on something like a vacation somewhere fun. Alternatively, my girlfriend suggested that the same money could be used for "presents for your beautiful girlfriend". ;) I'm probably going to use it for upgrades like red brake callipers, a roof rack, CHAdeMO adaptor, lighting upgrades and maybe an Opticoat treatment. :p

3. The difference between the 75D and the 100D is only the additional range (which we've established that I don't need for daily commuting) and 0.1 seconds faster 0-100 acceleration (probably not even noticeable to the average human). However the difference between the 75D and the P100DL is much more pronounced. So if I am going to upgrade from the 75D, I should be targeting an upgrade that will really take me to the next level of user experience. At the same time, my girlfriend will need a new car in about a year and so we've decided the plan will be that if all is still going well with our work (we both are starting new jobs this January) and living expenses (we're planning to move in together this year and that will save a lot on costs) then in January of next year I will order a P100DL and she will take my 75D. :D

So that's why I went for the 75D. I'm baby stepping for now so that I can leap in the future.

Now the waiting game begins. I've been told I will have to wait until late March to take delivery. That's going to be an eternity, but in the meanwhile I will focus on getting the electrical port installed at my condo's parking stall. I may even join Strata Council to make sure that the EV charging program is done well for our building.

In any case, I want to thank you all for your incredible help and suggestions. I got some great tips from you folks that I didn't know about. Things like the Quick220 and the fact that 110V/20A more will give me 50% more KM/h than 110V/15A. Please keep the tips coming and hopefully they will help the next person that deals with the same dilemma I did.

You folks are awesome and I can't wait till March.

Congratulations!

Don’t forget that if you've got a 120V/20A outlet available in your garage, you’ll need to buy a NEMA 5-20 adapter from Tesla. The UMC cable/kit provided with the car only comes standard with NEMA 5-15 (for 120V/15A outlet) and NEMA 14-50 adapters.

You can use the standard 5-15 adapter plug in a 5-20 outlet (backwards compatible) but you won’t get the higher current/charge rate without the 5-20 adapter.

We debated about the 75D and 90D when we ordered our car, a 75D. Similar feelings/reasons as you have OP. Funny we were just talking about this tonight having a loaner since Friday that's a 90D. The one comment my husband made, and haven't read the full posts here yet so hopefully not already repeated, is that my husband wished someone would have told him to plan on useable mileage between 20% and 80%--where you'd like to be most of the time. We didn't find TMC until after we ordered our car and learned this later. I will add that we live in a mild climate, don't drive in the mountains often and do mostly local driving, so didn't feel we needed to weigh those factors heavily in our situation and the 75D would be fine, which it has. We love our 75D and happy with all of our upgrade choices bit have some regret we didn't go for the 90D that was available at that time. The 100 came out a few months after that and my husband said if that battery jump from the 75 was available at the time he would have definitely done it for the difference in range.

It would be interesting to know if an 80% SOC in a 100D would be faster than a 100% SOC in a 75D when at a Supercharger. We've been at SC in our 75D when paired with another car and the time to charge was slow and also there when the SC stall was just slower than normal with no pairing.

Last edited:
Aslam if you haven't discovered this area of the forum, I think it's worth your look: Canada

I try to look in the California section to keep up with SCs in my area. Periodically will check out other areas we might visit. This forum area will be tracking Tesla's SC map locations but offer more updated and current info than the Tesla map.

One thing to remember about 115v/15 amps is that if you ever have to use an extension cord get a heavy duty one. For the first 6 months of having our Model S, before getting a garage built, we used an outside 115v/15 amp outlet and going from a regular extension cord to a heavy duty one increased the charging rate from 6 to 8 km/hr. An increase of 2 km/hr doesn’t sound like much but over an entire weekend it made a huge difference.

@Hugh Mannity Thanks for the first hand account. That, frankly, is one of my concerns. I anticipate going out to Kelowna once every couple of months (perhaps more often) and I am concerned about making it up the Coquihalla in the winter. I have been told that elevation change and cold are two factors that significantly degrade battery efficiency. Combine the two on the Coquihalla and I'm wondering if I would get stuck. Have you done it during winter much?

No problem, yes just two weeks ago I did the trip to Sun Peaks. We charged to 90ish% at Hope and made it to Kamloops with some to spare, this was with the cargo box and temps in the -10 to -23 range the whole way. Speed wise we were doing 80 to 110 during the duration. The Coq summit was a little greasy. I haven’t been to Kelowna though which sounds like more what you are interested in. Have you tried the online route planner on the Tesla website? Supposedly it works just like the one in the car.

a)Early on you mentioned that you could work from home. If it is a good idea to work one day/week from home (more efficient as no commuting time, no work distractions, less stress for you etc) then your charging issues are largely solved. Do not underestimate how much charge an extra 24hrs at 120v can get you-easily > one third of your 75 battery. That is even more so if you get 20 amp servie and are able to use the NEMA 5-20 rather than 5-15 adapter.
b)When planning trips keep the follwing in mind. With my 90D I have found 15-20% below rated km driving on the highway at 120-125kmh with air conditioning or slight heat (ie near 0o outside). Add another 10-15% that is 30-35% below rated for a longer highway trip at those speeds. Slowing down makes a BID difference. On a longer trip at 70-80kmh on level ground you can often exceed the rated range! Driving multiple short trips when it is -15o (or colder) with the battery heater and car heating kicking in can easily cut your range to half (or less) of rated range.

Congratulations..As I said earlier it's all about planning your charging. 5 to 10 minutes more at charging would and having a good buffer will be very helpful.

@SMSMD Thanks. Yeah I think trip planning will be the key for long trips. That and making sure to top up at SC or L2 and get that buffer you suggest. I'm not going to want to run it dry, if I can help it. Can't wait till delivery in March!

Congratulations!

Don’t forget that if you've got a 120V/20A outlet available in your garage, you’ll need to buy a NEMA 5-20 adapter from Tesla. The UMC cable/kit provided with the car only comes standard with NEMA 5-15 (for 120V/15A outlet) and NEMA 14-50 adapters.

You can use the standard 5-15 adapter plug in a 5-20 outlet (backwards compatible) but you won’t get the higher current/charge rate without the 5-20 adapter.

@f-stop Thanks for the tip. Didn't know that a) the 5-20 adapter isn't included in the standard set, and b) that using the 5-15 adapter won't get me the full charge capacity even if it is plugged into a 5-20 outlet. It's now added to my list to order from the Tesla Shop, along with the CHAdeMO adapter. Guess there's no reason I couldn't buy those early, just to make sure I have them in time. Are there any other places, other than the Tesla shop, to get those adapters?

We debated about the 75D and 90D when we ordered our car, a 75D. Similar feelings/reasons as you have OP. Funny we were just talking about this tonight having a loaner since Friday that's a 90D. The one comment my husband made, and haven't read the full posts here yet so hopefully not already repeated, is that my husband wished someone would have told him to plan on useable mileage between 20% and 80%--where you'd like to be most of the time. We didn't find TMC until after we ordered our car and learned this later. I will add that we live in a mild climate, don't drive in the mountains often and do mostly local driving, so didn't feel we needed to weigh those factors heavily in our situation and the 75D would be fine, which it has. We love our 75D and happy with all of our upgrade choices bit have some regret we didn't go for the 90D that was available at that time. The 100 came out a few months after that and my husband said if that battery jump from the 75 was available at the time he would have definitely done it for the difference in range.

It would be interesting to know if an 80% SOC in a 100D would be faster than a 100% SOC in a 75D when at a Supercharger. We've been at SC in our 75D when paired with another car and the time to charge was slow and also there when the SC stall was just slower than normal with no pairing.

@SMAlset Thanks for the first hand experiences with a 75. If they had an 85 or 90 option that wasn't quite as much of a jump up in price that the 100 is, I probably would have gone for that. I wish they still offered those. Or even a 90 option that could be software unlocked to 100 later, when I really need it. However for now, they only have the 75 and the 100 and it is $280 more per month for the 100, which is not insignificant.

Reactions: SMAlset
@f-stop Thanks for the tip. Didn't know that a) the 5-20 adapter isn't included in the standard set, and b) that using the 5-15 adapter won't get me the full charge capacity even if it is plugged into a 5-20 outlet. It's now added to my list to order from the Tesla Shop, along with the CHAdeMO adapter. Guess there's no reason I couldn't buy those early, just to make sure I have them in time. Are there any other places, other than the Tesla shop, to get those adapters?
You’re welcome. I believe only available through Tesla, though maybe someone else has found a source. No reason you can’t buy them in advance, maybe a good idea anyhow if either isn’t in stock. Note: I believe all the cars now come with the “Gen 2” UMC. Be sure to buy the appropriate gen 5-20 adapter, the older style ones won’t fit the new UMC

@richrootes Interesting. I read somewhere (I think on TMC) that those map pins are just placeholders and are not accurate. They are placed in the centre of the municipality. I will be curious to see where they place it in the end. I would think somewhere like Westview would make the most sense since it is close to the highway and has shops all around. We'll have to keep an eye out for the start of construction. I have a friend of mine who sits on NV City Council. I'll have to ask him if he knows of any development applications that have been put in by Tesla.

Aslam if you haven't discovered this area of the forum, I think it's worth your look: Canada

I try to look in the California section to keep up with SCs in my area. Periodically will check out other areas we might visit. This forum area will be tracking Tesla's SC map locations but offer more updated and current info than the Tesla map.

@SMAlset Thanks. I will definitely track the conversations in that section of the site.

Reactions: SMAlset
One thing to remember about 115v/15 amps is that if you ever have to use an extension cord get a heavy duty one. For the first 6 months of having our Model S, before getting a garage built, we used an outside 115v/15 amp outlet and going from a regular extension cord to a heavy duty one increased the charging rate from 6 to 8 km/hr. An increase of 2 km/hr doesn’t sound like much but over an entire weekend it made a huge difference.

@Phillip L Good tip. Was there a particular grade/gauge of extension cord that you went with which gave you that 2km/h increase?

Supercharger map pins are placeholders. Typically on the city name in google maps.

I personally would not buy the adaptor early. I helped someone plan out their charging strategy, they bought everything early, and they started shipping the GEN2 EVSE the week they picked up the car.

BTW - I generally agree w/ the choice of the 75 over the 100, as long as you understand the planning involved for trips... and you don't need the range weekly. It's a significant chunk of change.