Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on choosing 75 or 100

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@brkaus Interesting. I'm learning so much. So assuming rollout is 0.3 seconds, what is the apples to apples number? Do I increase the time of the one with rollout by 0.3 seconds or decrease it by 0.3?

Rollout gives a faster time, so a P100D would subtract 0.3 (or a S75 would add 0.3). The 0.3 is approximate.

I had found a description somewhere, but too lazy to find it. If I remember, it is basically related to measuring speed on a dragstrip, where they use an optical beam to detect the start. The car is parked so that the beam is blocked, but the timer does not start until the beam is clear (past the tire). So you have some motion of the car before time starts. Hope I got that right...

I've hade the opportunity to testdrive 75D (uncorked) back-to-back with a 100D several times and have also owned a P100D. The difference on Tesla website is misleading to just show 0.1sek difference for 0-100km/h. The 100D is much quicker, most noticable 50km/h+ where it is very similar to P85D.

The P100D is much quicker than 100D to 50km/h but after that the difference it actually not as noticeable. Accelerating from 100km/h the P100D and 100D is really similar.

There is a reason that the 100D has a top speed of 250km/h vs 225km/h for the 75D.

Rollout gives a faster time, so a P100D would subtract 0.3 (or a S75 would add 0.3). The 0.3 is approximate.

I had found a description somewhere, but too lazy to find it. If I remember, it is basically related to measuring speed on a dragstrip, where they use an optical beam to detect the start. The car is parked so that the beam is blocked, but the timer does not start until the beam is clear (past the tire). So you have some motion of the car before time starts. Hope I got that right...

@brkaus Thanks. OK so with that in mind, the WITHOUT rollout times for 0-100 km/h time would be:
75D: 4.4
100D: 4.3
P100D: 2.4 (this is the 2.7 WITH rollout minus 0.3)

Do I have that correctly? This is of course ignoring that the 100D time there is still corked and so it is probably better than that.

I've hade the opportunity to testdrive 75D (uncorked) back-to-back with a 100D several times and have also owned a P100D. The difference on Tesla website is misleading to just show 0.1sek difference for 0-100km/h. The 100D is much quicker, most noticable 50km/h+ where it is very similar to P85D.

The P100D is much quicker than 100D to 50km/h but after that the difference it actually not as noticeable. Accelerating from 100km/h the P100D and 100D is really similar.

There is a reason that the 100D has a top speed of 250km/h vs 225km/h for the 75D.

@evster Thanks for the real-world experience. The 100D as well as P100D you tested were also uncorked? If that is true, I think you are one of only a few people who has tested all three uncorked. I can't find any side-by-side comparisons of all uncorked vehicles online. I've searched through YouTube for the.

If what you tested was an uncorked 100D and it was noticeably faster, then that is painful to hear. I just ordered the 75D based on the website saying that the acceleration difference was only 0.1. Oh well, I guess that will be more reason to upgrade to a P100D in a year or so.

@aslam Yes, I think that is correct. You would have to drive back to back to compare. There are probably comparison graphs as well. Someone was collecting data from power tools app.

I do have the S100D. I do love the range. I have to admit the performance kicker at the time is what convinced me, back before the 75D was uncorked. If I were to choose now, it would be a much more difficult choice. I'd probably save the cash. Esp w/ the continued expansion of the supercharger network.

On point 1: Are you saying there is a difference in depreciation between the 100D and the 75D?
Thanks
Well they will. The more expensive alive car will depreciate more. Not necessarily faster on a percentage basis but it will in dollars.

Anyway what I was saying was that when you pay $25, 000 more car A than car B, if you're going to sell it in 4 or 5 years, $25,000 isn't the cost difference because when you sell it you'll get back some of that money. So the tesla 75D and 100D tend to depreciate about 40% in that time. So the 40% of $25,000 is the true cost difference. And the time value of that $25,000 if you're keen.

P100D and P90D depreciate much more rapidly in their first couple of years

@evster Thanks for the real-world experience. The 100D as well as P100D you tested were also uncorked? If that is true, I think you are one of only a few people who has tested all three uncorked. I can't find any side-by-side comparisons of all uncorked vehicles online. I've searched through YouTube for the.

If what you tested was an uncorked 100D and it was noticeably faster, then that is painful to hear. I just ordered the 75D based on the website saying that the acceleration difference was only 0.1. Oh well, I guess that will be more reason to upgrade to a P100D in a year or so.

All new 100D produced somewhere during the summer 2017 and after that does already have the "uncork". The 100D uncork that is mentioned in some threads is valid for those who took delivery of a 100D prior to the factory change. The newer 100D also have the upgraded drive unit with the factory code "DU00". The motors/DU are btw the same for 100D and 75D.

The uncork for 100D is minor in comparison to the one for 75D. The difference for uncorked 100D's are most noticeable at speed. It for sure pulls harder if you e.g. put your foot down at 50km/h. From dead stop there is no difference between a corked/uncorked 100D.

You'll be perfectly fine with the 75D. The price difference is quite substantial, fully agree with that. I just wanted to shed some light on the performance difference which is not just the 0,1 sec diff to 100km/h. The 75D is however plenty fast and will outperform most cars on the road anyway. At least up to 100km/h :)

Reactions: Drone Flyer
@aslam, thought i'd share my life with a 70D.

I have a 70D and live in Burnaby. When I bought mine i was choosing between a 70D and 90D, and also had to decide if the extra money was worth the extra 20KW. I kinda wish i got the 90D but I can live with the 70D, just need to plan a little more.

For my everyday use i seldom charge to over 90% and recharge before it falls below 20%, which essentially leaves me about 268k km (70% range of the 384KM ). I drive about 85 KM/day. in the winter, the length of trip, outside temperature, and your desired cabin temperature will effect your range, my efficency drops by about 25% when outside temperature drops below 7c and cabin temperature about 19.5c. So my winter range is about 200km.

So in any given week i need a full charge at least 3 times, i too am limited by 120v at home, so i need to visit L2 and L3 chargers (preferred) to top up.

I love the car, wish i had a bigger battery and wish it was uncorkable, maybe when i upgrade in the next few years.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
We were back and forth on 75D or 100D. $$ is a big difference. Got 100D and think it's worth it. Especially in the winter. This being our first winter with the X. Did a 210k trip with no supercharger on the way. Nearest supercharger was half hour past our destination. 105 one way then back. Weather was -18 in Ontario Canada. Fully charged before we left got back home with range remaining showing 80k. 75D we would have been stranded or spend an extra half hour going wrong way sitting there waiting to charge so we could get back home.

It's worth the money. Get the 100D

Quick update to this thread... a few weeks after I ordered my 75D I was still struggling with the decision and felt uneasy about it. So I called up my DS and OA and had a couple of conversations about upgrading. Of course, they were encouraging. They said that there is normally a $500 change fee but they said they would waive it because I was upgrading.

Also, they said they would structure the upgrade so I could take advantage of the new referral program that gives a $700 in credit for the Tesla store. That was the kicker that made the decision easier and so I did it and upgraded to the 100D. Since then, I've felt a sense of ease and haven't been stressed about the choice at all, so I think I made the right decision in the end.

As of this past Monday, my 100D is now in production and I'm told I will receive it before end of March. It's finally getting close!!

Quick update to this thread... a few weeks after I ordered my 75D I was still struggling with the decision and felt uneasy about it. So I called up my DS and OA and had a couple of conversations about upgrading. Of course, they were encouraging. They said that there is normally a $500 change fee but they said they would waive it because I was upgrading.

Also, they said they would structure the upgrade so I could take advantage of the new referral program that gives a $700 in credit for the Tesla store. That was the kicker that made the decision easier and so I did it and upgraded to the 100D. Since then, I've felt a sense of ease and haven't been stressed about the choice at all, so I think I made the right decision in the end.

As of this past Monday, my 100D is now in production and I'm told I will receive it before end of March. It's finally getting close!!

Everybody's situation is different and everyone has their own specific needs but I am of the frame of mind of getting the most range possible. I am constantly thinking about upgrading my 90D to a 100D but with the announcement of the range of the new Roadster, I am hesistant because I am hopeful a new 750km range Model S is around the corner.

@aslam, not sure if you are familiar with applications such as PlugShare. They will give you an additional information about charging options around you. Many shopping malls (such as Whole Foods in US) have L2 chargers operated by ChargePoint or other providers. You have ChargePoint, FLO and others in Canada.

I guess it would be a tough sell for the landlord to install dedicated charger, but it could be worth the shot.

By choice, I rent. I've asked my property manager about installing a Home Charger for my upcoming Model 3 and they were fine with it, but checking with the home owner. I estimated a cost of $80 / year for the electricity (30 km roundtrip x 4 / days / week x $0.07 kWh nighttime charging), and have offered to pay both the install (I get the rebate) and the additional electricity which again is minor.

Pitch it as a value-add to the building!

Reactions: arcus

I dont think 0.3 makes sense. The tesla moves quicker than any car in production history and that first foot is in the section of the run where it is putting a lead on everyone. It covers that foot faster than any other car out there I'd say, thus using the time it takes a traction challenged RWD 1970s muscle car to cover that foot (0.3) doesn't make sense to me. The rollout advantage is likely smaller with the tesla 0-60 times than any other production car.

A caveat to all of this is wear and tear. I just had my CV joints replaced under warranty. Mine is the 75D that was manufactured in April 2016, just before uncorking was made available. In a way, I'm glad, because I don't have to worry about wearing my tires out sooner than need be, putting wear and tear on the battery, and wearing down my CV joints as much.
I am NOT gunning it much now, except to show off, as this will inevitably break the CV joints again after warranty expires and at $3,000 each, its a no brainer to be careful.
Bottom line here is to be careful with what you have. The extra power is nice, but if you abuse it, it will come to haunt you later as the CV joints are ordinary ones built for all cars. They are not designed to take the stress the Tesla can put on it.
And my car is NOT the Performance model and the CV joints went after about 18 months. Imagine if I did have a performance model? Ouch!