Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on renting out my MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BuildingCap

If you build it, they will come.
Oct 4, 2017
Evansville, WY
I recently learned my job will take me overseas for most of 2018 and I am trying to decide what to do with my (still quite new) MX. I'm not interested in selling, so looking at other options like renting it.

Has anyone had any experience or advice on this? Did you use Turo, a legal contract, or some other rental procedure? I'm favoring finding one long term renter and not sure Turo is the best site for that....

Any particular things you would have done differently in renting, questions to ask prospective renters, or clauses/rules to make clear upfront? This would be my first time doing this and want to do it right, so advice is welcome.

My strong advice is "do not do it". You are not a rental company and your insurance may not cover you if you rent the vehicle. Additionally, no one will take care of your vehicle better then you so you will have significant wear and tear. Given that you have not lost your job, odds are you do not need to money, so why do something that has a significant downside with a very limited upside [of maybe a few thousand dollars?] Store the car safely with it plugged in to make sure that the battery remains properly charged. Ask the Tesla dealership how to properly store the vehicle.

MHO... YMMV

P.S. - Depending on your job and location, it might only cost a few thousand to ship the car abroad so you might continue to use it there. An option for a businessman/woman, and some branches of the military. Just make sure your insurance company will insure you. Beats using a rental!

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts TOBASH. I've actually looked into bringing the vehicle abroad with me, but Tesla warranty and inter-connectivity is only for the country of purchase. You have to ship the vehicle back to the US to get any service or warranty assistance.

I heard one person had their Telsa shipped abroad and not only was the battery dead when it got there but the car wouldn't charge and Telsa refused to provide any support. So far it looks like a bigger risk shipping it than keeping it the US. Seems like a waste to have it sit in a garage for the better part of a year, but that is the definitely the default option.

Last edited:
Disclosure . . . I have not done this, but might be something you want to look into;

The guy who runs OnlyUsedTesla.com contacted me regarding a Tesla rental service he is trying to get off the ground. Like I said, I have not done it. Also, I am not sure what the status is of his program . . . It may not be up and running yet. However, it might be a potential resource for you. I used his services when I was trying to sell my first Tesla and he was very helpful and had excellent communication. I have no financial incentive on his site, so don't blame me for anything o_O

• Informative
Reactions: TOBASH
miscellaneous-worms-can-tin-opening_a_can_of_worms-opening-jfa2492_low.jpg

Reactions: brkaus