Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice or recs for a Tesla Newbie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am officially a part of the Tesla family! Just picked up my silver S 90D with next gen seats and rearfacing child seats. Any advice for a Tesla newbie on what I should get next? I am starting with full cover Xpel and ceramic tint and then will get a Blackvue dual dashcam installed. Also plan to order and install wheel locks and the rear sunshade. Anything else I should consider getting for my Tesla? It feels kind of crazy stepping up to a Tesla from my old 2006 Acura TL. Unbelievable, like a dream.

Reactions: FequalsMA
Congratulations on the new S. You are going to love it. What else do you already have on the car? If you have the standard sound system a Reus subwoofer may be a good bet, Otherwise just enjoy driving it for a while before adding anything else. The tinting on the pano roof really makes the rear sunshade unnecessary IMHO.

I bought all kinds of crap for mine. I simply can't resist wasting money:

AlloyGator rim protectors. I cannot tell you how many times they have saved my 21's. A total PIA to install. But worth it.
Blackvue dual cam. It's fun. Why not? Cranky comments aside...
Pano and rear sunshades for the hot season
Tesla gunk tire inflator and a tire plug kit. Had to use the plug kit once. Worked like a charm.
Wheel locks
Snazzy Tesla logo'd valve stem caps from China. Surprisingly well made!
Tesla blanket (couldn't resist and it's cozy), wallet, iPhone case, fob case, which has proven to be very handy, scarf (why?)
I already had a Valentine One, which I installed in the nose cone. Works great.
CQuartz Finest finish. Couldn't spring for the wrap. Would if I could.
Carbon fiber accents for the nose cone and B-pillars. Love the B-pillars. Looks classy to me. EVannex.
Scissor jack, wheel chocks
Microwave case-won't work for you.
30ft CAMCO extension cord. Really handy. 14-30 adaptor for dryer outlets. Also handy.
Second UMC to keep in the car. Otherwise, I would forget the home one...
Lloyd's Luxe mats. Very nice.
Center console. A total rip. But I really love having it.
Coat hooks from EVannex. What's up with no coat hooks???
And an unbelievable assortment of cleaning products, MF cloths, pads, etc from CarproUSA. Love those products!

I'm sure I have forgotten something...

Have a blast!

AlloyGator rim protectors. I cannot tell you how many times they have saved my 21's. A total PIA to install. But worth it.
Tesla gunk tire inflator and a tire plug kit. Had to use the plug kit once. Worked like a charm.
Wheel locks
Tesla blanket (couldn't resist and it's cozy), wallet, iPhone case, fob case, which has proven to be very handy, scarf (why?)
Carbon fiber accents for the nose cone and B-pillars. Love the B-pillars. Looks classy to me. EVannex.
30ft CAMCO extension cord. Really handy. 14-30 adaptor for dryer outlets. Also handy.
And an unbelievable assortment of cleaning products, MF cloths, pads, etc from CarproUSA. Love those products!

Have a blast!
Thanks for the ideas! I am getting a Blackvue due to previous "bad luck" experiences with new cars. My 2006 Acura TL got a nice rear bumper gash parked in a hospital garage within the 1st week where I worked and then my 2014 Honda Odyssey within 2 months was rear ended while I was stopped at a red light with the other driver driving off. Would love to have video evidence of someone hits my Tesla and tries to drive off.

I got an Abstract Ocean iPhone holder coming. What kind of Tesla accessories is worth getting besides the rear sunshade and wheel locks I am ordering? Not driving the Tesla until I get it wrapped tomorrow.

Thanks for the ideas! I am getting a Blackvue due to previous "bad luck" experiences with new cars. My 2006 Acura TL got a nice rear bumper gash parked in a hospital garage within the 1st week where I worked and then my 2014 Honda Odyssey within 2 months was rear ended while I was stopped at a red light with the other driver driving off. Would love to have video evidence of someone hits my Tesla and tries to drive off.

I got an Abstract Ocean iPhone holder coming. What kind of Tesla accessories is worth getting besides the rear sunshade and wheel locks I am ordering? Not driving the Tesla until I get it wrapped tomorrow.

No pano roof by the way.. Wife wanted the hood.

I particularly like the FobPockets and the replacement interior lights from Abstract Ocean. Depending on which lights you want to add or replace, you'll need to be somewhat handy and/or patient, or willing to pay an installer. In fact I bought 8 but have only replaced 2 in the trunk so far, but those 2 are great.

If you're not inclined to upgrade to the Abstract Ocean lights, I recommend a battery-powered motion sensing light or two for the trunk (for example, http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Portable-Wireless-Anywhere-Magnetic/dp/B016PZFD8M) -- and possibly one more for the frunk if you plan to use it.

I particularly like the FobPockets and the replacement interior lights from Abstract Ocean. Depending on which lights you want to add or replace, you'll need to be somewhat handy and/or patient, or willing to pay an installer. In fact I bought 8 but have only replaced 2 in the trunk so far, but those 2 are great.

If you're not inclined to upgrade to the Abstract Ocean lights, I recommend a battery-powered motion sensing light or two for the trunk (for example, Amazon.com - AGPtek Portable Wireless White 10 LED 120 Degrees DIY Stick-on Anywhere Dual Motion Sensor Light with Magnetic Strip for Closet, Cabinet, Stairs -- USB Charging Powered -) -- and possibly one more for the frunk if you plan to use it.

The Abstract Ocean interior lights are a must. I replaced the trunk lid light, added 2 in the trunk and replaced the frunk light. I am not terribly handy but was able to install all 4 in less than 30 minutes. They make a huge difference in visibility in the trunk and frunk.

Reactions: Tree95
I've used my CAMCO extension in Big Sur at a retreat center where the NEMA 14-50 was blocked by a bunch of cars parked there, but wasn't being used. No ICE-ing as it wasn't labelled as an EV spot. I simply ran the cord along the ground and was able to plug in. I wouldn't have made it home without it.

If you're not inclined to upgrade to the Abstract Ocean lights, I recommend a battery-powered motion sensing light or two for the trunk (for example, http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Portable-Wireless-Anywhere-Magnetic/dp/B016PZFD8M) -- and possibly one more for the frunk if you plan to use it.
I am not handy at all so will probably get the motion sensing lights. I need to getting a battery powered cooling fan as well for my daughter who will have to occasionally sit in the rearfacing child seats. So I guess in a dark parking area the stock frunk and trunk lights are inadequate?

My Tesla is in the shop getting full Xpel wrap and ceramic tint... Should be ready by tomorrow evening!

Wheel locks

Have a blast!

Are the Lloyd's luxe mats an upgrade from the Tesla OEM mats in terms of quality and materials or is it just a better deal (less $$$) for good quality mats? I am going to order tire kit, wheel locks, and the rear sunshade.

Are the Lloyd's luxe mats an upgrade from the Tesla OEM mats in terms of quality and materials or is it just a better deal (less $$$) for good quality mats? I am going to order tire kit, wheel locks, and the rear sunshade.

Oh yes. The Lloyd's Luxe mats are galaxies beyond any stock mat you will find. They are like a nice quality living room carpet. When they say you'll prefer to drive barefoot, they aren't kidding. And mine have held up amazingly well after 19 months of daily use. I barely have a divot where my right heel sits. When I vacuum it, it almost completely disappears. I have black, so they don't show the dirt, just the dust. After vacuuming, I take a lightly damp MF cloth, with a 30% vinegar, 60% water, 10% IPA mix and wipe to get the dirt off and it works like a charm. I am going buy some beige ones for summer use this year because I think they will brighten up the cabin. I plan to mist them with 303 Fabric Guard that I got from CarPro USA (carpro-us.com (LOVE their products!) for stain protection since they are a light color. Supposed to be an uber Scotchgard-like product. Recommended by Sunbrella, for whatever that is worth...

I am not handy at all so will probably get the motion sensing lights.

I am not at all handy either, and was able to switch out the lights. Check the instructions on the Abstract Ocean page, and if you're really concerned, purchase just a few at first, and switch out the really simple ones. The easiest on new cars should be the one in the frunk and the two on the sides in the hatch, assuming you purchased the premium lighting.

I'm not suggesting that you "add" lights if you didn't already buy the premium lighting, but if you did, it's basically just changing a bulb. It's just that some of the bulbs (like the one in the center of the hatch) are a little harder to get out than the others.

Just some random points they may be of interest

INTERIOR
- I got a screen protector for the MCU (abstract ocean) also keep a microfibre cloth in the glove compartment for cleaning.
- dash cam definitely a good idea
- a 2A USB charger if you need a quicker phone charge (the two ports on the car are slower 1A)
- quality floor mats for interior and trunk/ frunk and empty space in the center
- the seats are not perforated or cooled, so on a hot day it would be wise to use the app to precool the car before you get back to it
- CAMPER MODE: the car is designed to turn off electronics and HVAC after about 30min of use when parked. to override this put the car in neutral and turn on the parking brake (car's electronics will stay on). You can only use CM when the car is not charging as the car won't let you shift out of park when plugged in
- using range mode may save you up to a handful of percent of battery (more reliance on the front motor)

EXTERIOR
- if you have a transponder for toll routes, you should know the transponder may have difficulty reading through the windshield on the model S (possible to install behind nose cone)
- flat tire repair kit, blankets, some emergency nonperishable snacks if you drive long distances (learn how to use "jack mode" if you have the air suspension)
- if you're putting kids in the rear jump seats or frequently loading/ unloading things in the rear hatch, i would recommend some protective mats you can throw over the bumper to avoid scratches (i use the factory floor mats).
- the design of the car results in particular areas around all of the parts that open (lower door sills, hood and rear hatch) to be prone to collecting water/ dirt. Take note you'll need to open up these places to rinse them out (especially apparent with soap suds after a car wash)
- the maximum height to which the rear hatch opens to can be manually set by holding the interior button on the hatch

• Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100
I am not at all handy either, and was able to switch out the lights. Check the instructions on the Abstract Ocean page, and if you're really concerned, purchase just a few at first, and switch out the really simple ones. The easiest on new cars should be the one in the frunk and the two on the sides in the hatch, assuming you purchased the premium lighting.

I'm not suggesting that you "add" lights if you didn't already buy the premium lighting, but if you did, it's basically just changing a bulb. It's just that some of the bulbs (like the one in the center of the hatch) are a little harder to get out than the others.

I didn't buy the premium interior lights. So I should go with the motion sensing lights mentioned earlier in this thread?

Just some random points they may be of interest

INTERIOR
- I got a screen protector for the MCU (abstract ocean) also keep a microfibre cloth in the glove compartment for cleaning.
- dash cam definitely a good idea
- a 2A USB charger if you need a quicker phone charge (the two ports on the car are slower 1A)
- quality floor mats for interior and trunk/ frunk and empty space in the center
- the seats are not perforated or cooled, so on a hot day it would be wise to use the app to precool the car before you get back to it
- CAMPER MODE: the car is designed to turn off electronics and HVAC after about 30min of use when parked. to override this put the car in neutral and turn on the parking brake (car's electronics will stay on). You can only use CM when the car is not charging as the car won't let you shift out of park when plugged in
- using range mode may save you up to a handful of percent of battery (more reliance on the front motor)

EXTERIOR
- if you have a transponder for toll routes, you should know the transponder may have difficulty reading through the windshield on the model S (possible to install behind nose cone)
- flat tire repair kit, blankets, some emergency nonperishable snacks if you drive long distances (learn how to use "jack mode" if you have the air suspension)
- if you're putting kids in the rear jump seats or frequently loading/ unloading things in the rear hatch, i would recommend some protective mats you can throw over the bumper to avoid scratches (i use the factory floor mats).
- the design of the car results in particular areas around all of the parts that open (lower door sills, hood and rear hatch) to be prone to collecting water/ dirt. Take note you'll need to open up these places to rinse them out (especially apparent with soap suds after a car wash)
- the maximum height to which the rear hatch opens to can be manually set by holding the interior button on the hatch

Thank you for all of the tips. I think I will get an Abstract Ocean screen protector.. sounds like a good idea just like I have my iPhone and iPads protected with screen protectors. I talked to the Tesla guy on delivery at Buena Park and he said that the Service Center can take off the nosecone and affix a transponder behind it. I plan to have them attach my Fasttrak Flex permanently set to 3+ HOV status once I get the white California HOV stickers after I get my license plate. I've got the tire repair kit, wheel locks, and rear sunshade on order from Tesla.