Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AEB Pushing to AP2.5 today -> Tesla sticking with releases every 14 days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish Electrek would not consistently jump the gun on firmware update announcements. Literally every time they’ve announced a post 8.0 update, it’s either nonexistent or a tiny tiny rollout. And then that gets reblogged by every tech blog on the planet describing some amazing Tesla feature that doesn’t exist yet, either at all or for the vast majority of customers.

It’s end of today by any reasonable definition and there is no new firmware in sight.

Reactions: bmah and boaterva
It could be an M3 release only, and the M3 employees might not be reporting on TeslaFI. There's only like 200 of them or so, and they are all pretty high up folks.
What? This is about the S and X’s with 2.5 hardware that don’t have AEB....

Or did you mean the 17.40? I don’t think any 3’s are on ev-fw or TeslaFi. :)

Last edited:
And yeah I wish the SC’s would use the same release numbers the cars actually use. :) We see the development number (with the hashcode) and the SC repair order has the ‘internal’ number and then someone posts that on ev-fw manually and screws everything up. :D

My car is sitting at Tysons being diagnosed and ‘has a new release’ (sez the app) since it’s on SC WiFi. I assumed it was 17.38.4 but who knows. It’s not actually installed (just downloaded) so no idea what rev it is and of course it’s not updated ev-fw.

AEB/FCW question. The advertised capability is to detect cars and pedestrians. Is there any experience or information out there regarding detection of wildlife? I was just wondering because a car took out a deer on a major city street here last night. If the capability is there, and when functioning normally, where does it draw the line in terms of a worthwhile AEB/FCW event? (e.g. horse / deer / dog / raccoon / cat / possum / squirrel)

AEB/FCW question. The advertised capability is to detect cars and pedestrians. Is there any experience or information out there regarding detection of wildlife? I was just wondering because a car took out a deer on a major city street here last night. If the capability is there, and when functioning normally, where does it draw the line in terms of a worthwhile AEB/FCW event? (e.g. horse / deer / dog / raccoon / cat / possum / squirrel)

It's unclear whether it has detection of any of these things. I've had a few close calls with people walking their dogs (where the dog zips across the crosswalk with the human 10 feet behind) or feral cats crossing the road, and never seen a FCW alert for them.

There's not a lot of wildlife where I live so I don't really have a lot of data points to go by.

Firmware update just completed showing up as version 2017.40.1. Will check out the release notes soon....
Too bad we can't (like normal software) read the release notes before we load the update, lol! Of course, we don't really have a *choice*....

And no mentions on ev-fw or TeslaFi, so you may be one of the very first.

Last edited:
Too bad we can't (like normal software) read the release notes before we load the update, lol! Of course, we don't really have a *choice*....

And no mentions on ev-fw or TeslaFi, so you may be one of the very first.

As if the release notes actually tell you anything substantial. My complaint is that the release notes change things that aren't documented, then we all have to poke at it for days to figure everything out. For all we know, the release notes say "Minor fixes and improvements" but the autopilot neural net is now depressed and trying to kill itself...

As if the release notes actually tell you anything substantial. My complaint is that the release notes change things that aren't documented, then we all have to poke at it for days to figure everything out. For all we know, the release notes say "Minor fixes and improvements" but the autopilot neural net is now depressed and trying to kill itself...
Lol, yeah, I know... be nice if (1) the RNs were full RNs and (2) we could accept or reject. Dream on on both....

Neural net may need some chemical adjustment? :D

(Like this Homelink option that shows up (for transmitter option) and then someone is told by a service manager that it's been there forever 'but was hidden in a dropdown'. Wha?)

Looks like we're getting the AEB, Homelink fix, as well as the Camping mode!!

Attachments

• tesla-firmware-17401aeb.png
    tesla-firmware-17401aeb.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 301
  • tesla-firmware-17401homelink.png
    tesla-firmware-17401homelink.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 250
  • rsz_1tesla-firmware-17401climate_-_copy.png
    rsz_1tesla-firmware-17401climate_-_copy.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 271
And the ability to save front row headrest positions to the driver profile. (At least I think that is new.)
I think we thought this was there, then someone tweeted Elon, and he said he'd add it.. and here we are. :D

One car on TeslaFi with it, X P90D, AP1 in California

And my car is sitting at Tysons SC; hope that means it will get it, when it's already downloaded and not installed 17.38.4 :(

Have to see if they can give a hand with that!

We can adjust the headrest?? Which button does that?
If you have a MX or newer 2017 build MS with premium seats, yes, the lumbar support D-pad pops up a dialog on the MCU asking if you want to adjust the lumbar support or headrest.

Note: If your seat's headrest doesn't look like it is obviously capable of movement (e.g. it's one continuous piece of leather), it means you don't have hardware support for moving the headrest. Don't spend too much time scratching your head about how an OTA update activated nanoparticle liquid plastic/leather… :D

• Funny
Reactions: croman and boaterva
If you have a MX or newer 2017 build MS with premium seats, yes, the lumbar support D-pad pops up a dialog on the MCU asking if you want to adjust the lumbar support or headrest.

Note: If your seat's headrest doesn't look like it is obviously capable of movement (e.g. it's one continuous piece of leather), it means you don't have hardware support for moving the headrest. Don't spend too much time scratching your head about how an OTA update activated nanoparticle liquid plastic/leather… :D
Thanks found the D-pad :D