Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AEB simply won't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is you can use Autopilot for that purpose.

Current TACC can brake to a complete stop to avoid a collision and if it fails, AEB is a last ditch effort to reduce the force of collision.

TAAC only brings the car to a complete stop if the display shows that you are following a car. If there is a car stopped at a red light and it is too far away to be on the display, TAAC will not stop your Tesla. Tesla needs to start using the long range radar to pick up cars much further away than they do now. They will have to do this to eventually get the car to Full Self Driving.

Other major car manufactures bring the car to a full stop to avoid a collision. Tesla needs to get the same ability as soon as possible.

Reactions: Blastphemy
TAAC only brings the car to a complete stop if the display shows that you are following a car...

Tesla AP2 radar range is 525 feet and its narrow focal camera range is 820 feet (a football stadium is about 360 feet for comparison).

If current instrument display doesn't show an obstacle that far ahead, it's probably because of programming deficiency that programmers need to improve upon it.

My guess is you can use Autopilot for that purpose.

Current TACC can brake to a complete stop to avoid a collision and if it fails, AEB is a last ditch effort to reduce the force of collision.

TAAC only brings the car to a complete stop if the display shows that you are following a car. If there is a car stopped at a red light and it is too far away to be on the display, TAAC will not stop your Tesla. Tesla needs to start using the long range radar to pick up cars much further away than they do now. They will have to do this to eventually get the car to Full Self Driving.

Other major car manufactures bring the car to a full stop to avoid a collision. Tesla needs to get the same ability as soon as possible.

...I keep wondering if I just let it coast toward the vehicle in front of me (at a red light) would it eventually stop...

In theory, If you are on Autopilot, it would stop when it encounters a stopped car at red light.

Also, the manual says sometimes it doesn't

Another example:

If you are not on Autopilot/TACC, the manual says AEB is not designed to avoid a collision so you should expect a collision but with less force as AEB would brake for you to lessen the force of collision.

When I am on Autopilot: I would brake as I would normally would and I would steer as I normally would.

I don't rely on technology and change my safety behaviors.

It's great to learn about theoretical automatic stops but real life is not a theory.

I've only had mine a little over a week but I keep wondering if I just let it coast toward the vehicle in front of me (at a red light) would it eventually stop... I'm not willing to put my vehicle and my overly cautious self to the test.

The first day I got my Model S, I was showing my wife how the AP worked. At that time, I thought it had AEB and if there was a car stopped at a red light, the a car would stop. I had to slam on the brakes and stopped a few feet from rear ending the car that was stopped at the red light.

As long as there is a car showing on the display, TAAC will follow the car and stop and start appropriately. I recommend that you not trust it to stop for cars not on the display. I do not trust the AEB because until the long range radar is turned on, it is stupid for the car to wait for the last few seconds to slow down. Tesla also needs to change AEB to do a full stop and prevent a crash instead of just reducing the damage.

AP1 cars would only reduce the speed by 25 mph. If you were going 75 mph, AEB would slam on the brakes and then release the brakes at 50 mph. I would not want to hit anything at 50 mph.

TAAC only brings the car to a complete stop if the display shows that you are following a car. If there is a car stopped at a red light and it is too far away to be on the display, TAAC will not stop your Tesla.

It stops every freakin time. On a stopped car, the deceleration is much more abrupt compared to a car that is in motion, but nevertheless it stops. I will post a video if I can get one next time.

The first day I got my Model S, I was showing my wife how the AP worked. At that time, I thought it had AEB and if there was a car stopped at a red light, the a car would stop. I had to slam on the brakes and stopped a few feet from rear ending the car that was stopped at the red light.

As long as there is a car showing on the display, TAAC will follow the car and stop and start appropriately. I recommend that you not trust it to stop for cars not on the display. I do not trust the AEB because until the long range radar is turned on, it is stupid for the car to wait for the last few seconds to slow down. Tesla also needs to change AEB to do a full stop and prevent a crash instead of just reducing the damage.

AP1 cars would only reduce the speed by 25 mph. If you were going 75 mph, AEB would slam on the brakes and then release the brakes at 50 mph. I would not want to hit anything at 50 mph.
I'm in total agreement and I have to believe that is Tesla's end-goal. However, there is no point in advertising that AEB stops for all obstacles until they can prove it works 99.999% of the time. At their current rate of progress, I don't expect that to happen for at least 12+ months.

It stops every freakin time. On a stopped car, the deceleration is much more abrupt compared to a car that is in motion, but nevertheless it stops. I will post a video if I can get one next time.

This must have changed when the AEB software updates were sent. I have never waited to see if it is working after getting the begeezes scared out of me on my first day of driving. When they get the long range radar working, it should allow the car to slow down sooner and not do last minute breaking.

Please upload a video when you have time.

This must have changed when the AEB software updates were sent. I have never waited to see if it is working after getting the begeezes scared out of me on my first day of driving. When they get the long range radar working, it should allow the car to slow down sooner and not do last minute breaking.

Please upload a video when you have time.

AEB is Automatic Emergency Braking. It is intended to slam on the brakes at the last minute in an emergency. Not something you want to test in real life. Especially if they're only promising a 25 MPH speed reduction.

TACC is the Autopilot function that brakes for cars it sees. It does brake early enough and gently enough (most of the time) that it shouldn't scare anyone, and you should have plenty of time to take over if necessary. It is already heavily dependent on radar to do this.

Oh I have to clarify. Mine is AP1 and I am not referring to AEB, but how the car behaves with TACC when it encounters a stopped car in the front.

Thanks for letting me know that you have an AP1 car. I have an AP2 car and when cars are stopped and are do not show up on the display, I have let the car continue toward the stopped cars. I have gotten too close for comfort and I stop the car myself.

I don't trust AEB either since Tesla says AEB only reduces the damage and does not do a full stop before hitting something in front of it. I will wait for the long distance radar to be turned on before I trust the car to stop itself.

Guy is talking about the long range radar, not the only one radar. Duh!

I found the following information on the different distances for the front radar, cameras, and sensors: - Autopilot

Distances for the forward radar and cameras:

160M - Radar
60M - Wide forward camera
150M - Main forward camera
250M - Narrow forward camera

Distances for the the forward side cameras, rear camera, and sensors:

80M - Forward looking side cameras
50M - Rearview camera
8M - Ultrasonic sensors

I need to apologize to everyone. There is only 1 radar on the AP2 Tesla's. I don't think the 250M narrow forward camera is working yet which would help our HW2 Tesla's slow down sooner.

I did use TACC today and let it drive up to stopped cars at stop lights. It did stop a couple of times, although it waited longer than I would and applied heavier braking. I will still disengage TACC until it slows down earlier and does not brake as hard.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca