Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Random example, my phone goes faster from 20% to 5% than from 80% to 65%. At least, seemingly.

Did anyone every explore a disc of sorts for the inside of the wheel?
I have to say, looking under the bottom of the car on a transport the other day, I bet there is another 2% of efficiency to be gained by covering all the little gaps on the bottom of the car, which is already very smooth and impressive, but perhaps there is still room for smoothing on the bottom, near the suspension arms...
fe_9171228_600.jpg

Reactions: Cloxxki
I have to say, looking under the bottom of the car on a transport the other day, I bet there is another 2% of efficiency to be gained by covering all the little gaps on the bottom of the car, which is already very smooth and impressive, but perhaps there is still room for smoothing on the bottom, near the suspension arms...
Racing tape ... ie speed tape will do wonders for aero efficiency and range :cool:
Speed tape - Wikipedia

Tested some simple disk wheel covers. They're not too pretty but reduce energy consumption about a 6.5% at 60 mph. I was cautious not to use the brakes and over heat the rotors as they have no vents at all. I will need to do some more extensive testing speed vs energy consumption and possibly measure rotor temperatures with & without covers after a stop.
View attachment 13654

For brake cooling, you could use these very low drag scoops. I used them on my airplane and they really work. You might only need 2-4 and they could be very small but still bring in significant air. NACA duct - Wikipedia

They would only need to be about an inch wide and 2 in long. pointing in the direction of rotation.