Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aerodynamics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you guys noticed the little lip on the underside of the side mirrors?

IMGP0479.JPG

Perhaps its one of those little features ElSupreme was talking about that tries to reduce the low pressure behind the mirror?
Would it make that much difference compared to the drag behind the big backside of the car itself?

Have you guys noticed the little lip on the underside of the side mirrors?

View attachment 17693

Perhaps its one of those little features ElSupreme was talking about that tries to reduce the low pressure behind the mirror?
Would it make that much difference compared to the drag behind the big backside of the car itself?

Good catch. I went and looked at it on my car. This lip is quite prominent. I imagine it is there for some aerodynamic reason.

It would be really hard to guess the purpose or effect of it without looking at a wind tunnel test.

Normally when you 'trip' the air with something like this you need a tapering object (not the complete void like the mirror) that the air will 'attach' to. I am not saying this feature doesn't help with drag, but I would be more inclined to think it helps keep water/mist/dirt off of the mirror.

But this is exactly the type of 'feature' that I was talking about that would be much better than dimples everywhere to produce aerodynamic advantages.

In the recent update from Edmunds, the author noted:
We got back on the road and soon realized how much the Model S does not like crosswinds. For several miles, keeping the sedan true in the lane was difficult. Nothing severe, but not the kind of dynamic flaw you find in a Mercedes S Class or a Porsche Panamera.
I've had this same experience. What is it about the Model S that is causing this? Any fix, short of a major change in the body design?

A friend of mine complained about driving in a gusty crosswind, and said that the instability was greatly exacerbated by the cruise control. If the wind gust was strong enough to slow the car down, the cruise control punched up to compensate, and that unsettled the car. As soon as he turned off cruise control the car settled down.

He also thinks the soft-walled winter Nokkians he is driving with is having an impact. We'll see what happens when he switches to summer tires.

I've seen this fixed by tires, but the Edmunds car has performance tires.

WRT alignment: I believe castor has more to do with directional stability then toe doesn't it?

Correct. Caster and SAI are the two stability angles. Caster increases with speed so at high speeds caster provides a larger percentage of stability than SAI. The conicity of the tires should take care of any lack of stability zero toe brings to the party. Yes, it's possible to force stability with toe, but that's not the right way to do it because it wears tires rapidly and adds rolling resistance.

Another degreed Mechanical Engineer here. Here's a video that helps support what ElSupreme is saying with regard to turbulent flow reducing "backfill" drag.

When the wing is flying normally, the pieces of yarn flow smoothly backward. This is laminar flow. The air tends to stay close to the contour of the wing, and the lower pressure above the wing contributes to lift.

As the pilot pitches the aircraft up, turbulent flow begins to get generated on the wing as the smooth airflow detaches from the surface (seen with the yarn starting to curve in different directions). This turbulent air above the wing increases the pressure there, reducing the amount of upward lifting force generated by the wing (hence a stall). In other words, the turbulence causes air to "backfill" above the wing and increase the pressure above it (lowering lift).

You want a similar thing to happen in a car--except in the case of a car, the turbulent "backfill" behind the car REDUCES drag, whereas with a wing it reduced lift. But as ElSupreme said, you want this to happen toward the back of the car (low pressure wake area), not the front.

- - - Updated - - -

Side note of interest: you'll notice the wing root area (close to the fuselage) gets this turbulent airflow (and more of it) before the tip of the wing. This is due to wing "washout"--a design twist in the wing in which the wing is designed to be slightly more pitched up at the root than the tip. As a result, the root starts to stall before the wingtip. This is so that the pilot can detect the stall by feel (vibration of the buffeting turbulent air near the wing root) before roll control (obtained by the ailerons which are located at the tip of the wing) is lost.

Random fact. Fun to talk about at parties :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reviving an old thread. Anyone know, or have an educated guess, of the relative drag (or cD if you'd like) of the outside mirrors, extended versus folded?
Great question but it's going to depend partly on downstream interactions, you'd need CFD or a scale model to answer this with any kind of certainty. My WAG would be that folded decreases the drag count by a percent or two.