Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After last update, IOS Tesla app no longer wakes up the car...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a car firmware update, an iOS update, or a Tesla app update?
well I guess I'm not sure if its the car update or app update (which get updated frequently). Its not an IOS update...

and I tried a signout-signin on the app, which didn't work.

I guess I need to check if the car gets on WiFi as before but even if it isn't, it should pick up the LTE signal.

IOS app version 3.10.9
IOS 13.7 on an iPhone SE2
latest Tesla firmware (don't have it on hand right now, updated about 2 weeks ago)

well I guess I'm not sure if its the car update or app update (which get updated frequently). Its not an IOS update...

and I tried a signout-signin on the app, which didn't work.

I guess I need to check if the car gets on WiFi as before but even if it isn't, it should pick up the LTE signal.

IOS app version 3.10.9
IOS 13.7 on an iPhone SE2
latest Tesla firmware (don't have it on hand right now, updated about 2 weeks ago)

iOS seems to have more issues with connecting to Teslas.

iOS seems to have more issues with connecting to Teslas.
Can confirm.

My son's Android and my daughter's Android phones *never* have an issue connecting to the Tesla in any way... whether it's for walk-up unlocking, loading the correct driver profile, or streaming music, they have never had even one connection failure.

The same can't be said for my and my wife's iPhones (in various flavors).

OP...

IME, the car will attempt to prioritize a WiFi connection over the cell data connection. Successfully getting an IP address isn't proof enough that you have a good WiFi internet connection. When you have this issue, get in your car, and use the car's built in browser to surf around a bit. If you're not able to use the built in browser, then the problem is most likely somewhere in your WiFi connection.

Another test you might want to give a shot... Turn off WiFi in the car, so it is forced to use cell data. Now test and see if the car wakes up successfully from your phone. Again, if this works, then the problem is most likely WiFi related.

IME, the car will attempt to prioritize a WiFi connection over the cell data connection. Successfully getting an IP address isn't proof enough that you have a good WiFi internet connection. When you have this issue, get in your car, and use the car's built in browser to surf around a bit. If you're not able to use the built in browser, then the problem is most likely somewhere in your WiFi connection.
I think you may be right... but how is it that the car reports establishing a legit Wifi connection (with IP address etc) and yet doesn't actually have a good Wifi connection?

This intermittently happens with our phones (Android). For a while, quick connections, then bad for a while. There were things that I attributed it to, and once I thought that if I use the app to unlock and lock the car, which it can do, then that would make it connect. I finally concluded that it's just random.

I think you may be right... but how is it that the car reports establishing a legit Wifi connection (with IP address etc) and yet doesn't actually have a good Wifi connection?
The IP address is only one part of things that have to be done in order to have your connection work.

Bad analogy time...

You call your friend on the phone. You hit the "Call" button, and your friend's phone rings, your friend then hits the "Accept" button. The connection has been made, but if neither of you talk, then no information is exchanged. Or, if you do talk, but the signal is weak, your friend can't understand you through the static.

Really bad analogy, but the basics are good enough.

Well I tested this issue again, this time with no WiFi... only LTE, and it still does not wake up.

Then I also tried to use an Android phone -- same problem, doesn't wake up.

I'm thinking the issue is that the car isn't responding to LTE while asleep anymore...

I recently came off of Premium connectivity -- might that be the issue? but it still gets LTE when it is awake.

Well I tested this issue again, this time with no WiFi... only LTE, and it still does not wake up.

Then I also tried to use an Android phone -- same problem, doesn't wake up.

I'm thinking the issue is that the car isn't responding to LTE while asleep anymore...

I recently came off of Premium connectivity -- might that be the issue? but it still gets LTE when it is awake.
I also noticed that right when I start up the car, the LTE "bars" has a slash through it, which after a minute goes away leaving the regular LTE bars/signal strength.

It sure seems that the car no longer leaves the LTE radio on, listening, while it is asleep. What causes that?

Reactions: jusflyguy
I've been having this issue too, for almost a week the app fails to connect with the message "unknown error". Logging out and back in doesn't fix it, I haven't yet tried rebooting the car (I'll try that soon, see if it helps) The car is running 2020.48.30, and the app is version 3.10.9. I just got pushed a update to 2020.48.35.5, which I'll try installing overnight, see if that helps.

I never had this sort of issue before with any previous version.

Update: rebooting the car fixed the issue, at least for the moment. Hopefully it stays fixed after the update.

Last edited: