Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App nor octopus IO not waking up model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I connected my S to IOG early this morning and that all succeeded nicely, using the v4.7.0 APK though with auto-update off.
So i have a M3 SR+ 2021 with IO V4.9 app , Hypervolt 2 charger, Android tesla app 4.28.1. Car is on 2023.44.30.5.1. IO failed to charge the car last night although it did set a charge map (including a revised map after failing to charge at its first slot).

So i have a M3 SR+ 2021 with IO V4.9 app , Hypervolt 2 charger, Android tesla app 4.28.1. Car is on 2023.44.30.5.1. IO failed to charge the car last night although it did set a charge map (including a revised map after failing to charge at its first slot).
that's a good idea. software version. I didn't think of that cant add to my earlier post but:
I am also on the same as you for the record both in car and the app.

I am using Tessie and IO and I have experienced no issues as described above so the question is why are some people.

If they have changed authentication again as some have suggested then it may not be an issue until you need to authenticate again. Iirc authentication token is valid for many tens of days so it may not affect some for several weeks.

I suspect that there are several things going on and that may not be the issue, but it is far too early to dismiss it as a non issue. But we do know that Tesla are making significant changes in this area at the moment.

Reactions: NewbieT
I'm seeing connectivity issues when driving around, seems to be area/location based (though I tether my phone for data most of the time so minimising the impact)

But no issues with Tessie or IO charging. IO in particular is rock solid and starting each charge slot within 1 minute of the original schedule for the night, even when car is asleep. I think this might be because I have good car connectivity when parked on the drive though

I'm seeing connectivity issues when driving around, seems to be area/location based (though I tether my phone for data most of the time so minimising the impact)

But no issues with Tessie or IO charging. IO in particular is rock solid and starting each charge slot within 1 minute of the original schedule for the night, even when car is asleep. I think this might be because I have good car connectivity when parked on the drive though
IO decided to charge my car in 8 separste slots last night!
All worked fine though and fired up at the right time like yours.

So the question is what is different about the cars that work and those that don't?
can we try to find anything common?
could it be the eSim version again? or the age? or model or submodel?

I am
MYLR late 2022
Tessie
OctopusIO
Mine is an early 2023 Model Y Long Range currently running 2023.44.30.5.1 and although it was working fine for the first 6 months it's been having connectivity issues for the last couple of months.

The satnav, etc is fine when out and about but the car is often unable to be woken via the app (either Tesla app or Tessie) so it won't pre-heat etc. Tessie is often not recording drives due to the car being shown as offline.

I can't figure it out at all, it seems so random. For example, the last few days my routine has been identical. Car is parked in my garage and I go out early in the morning to walk the dogs. Some days the pre-heating doesn't work due to 'command time out' (or 'Unable to Wake' as Tessie reports) and the drive out and back isn't recorded. Other days, the car worked fine. Today the car recorded the drive out but not the drive back. I can't figure out what the difference is.

I've had a brief chat with James at Tessie, he looked at my logs and reckons there's a problem with the car and recommends that I submit a service request to have the 'Connectivity Board' replaced which is based on his discussions with other owner's experiences. Maybe @James@Tessie can add his thoughts to this discussion?

Why does the app affect IO reliability? Surely it’s the Octopus servers controlling the car and nothing to do with the app?

If my phone was switched off or out of range, I would like to think that IO would still work.

Yet many seem to be reporting different behaviour with different versions of the app.

Reactions: Jason71
I am using Tessie and IO and I have experienced no issues as described above so the question is why are some people.
Waking the car was traditionally done via an SMS message. I assume that has not changed?
There was an issue in the past to do with waking that was down to a Spanish mobile network changing a protocol and the SMS to wake the cars was no longer working. No one ( including Tesla) could figure out why some cars ( including UK ones not just Spanish ones) weren't working and others were fine. it was not until the community twigged that those with a dutch eSIM were OK and those with a Spanish one were not that the issue was solved. And we only knew that based on the nationality of the averts we were getting on the youtube app 🤣

So the question is what is different about the cars that work and those that don't?
can we try to find anything common?
could it be the eSim version again? or the age? or model or submodel?

I am
MYLR late 2022
Tessie
OctopusIO

No connectivity issues at all so far
I don't know how to find out anything about the eSim is there a way to tell anything about it like what nationality it is or network it is on?
this was posted on another thread.

so may align with what I was suggesting

Been having loads of issues with IO. Basically having initially charge plans set on the IO app but failing regularly , then more recently seeing the charge plan to be going beyond the end of the low rate in the morning , and even experiencing charging starting way too early in the afternoon or evening about 30-60 mins after plugging in. Eventually Octopus suggested that I would get the app to work correctly if I set up the device as my zapppi charger instead of my M3. Tried this and TBH it’s even worse than before.

Attachments

• IMG_0129.png
    IMG_0129.png
    398.2 KB · Views: 24
Been having loads of issues with IO. Basically having initially charge plans set on the IO app but failing regularly , then more recently seeing the charge plan to be going beyond the end of the low rate in the morning , and even experiencing charging starting way too early in the afternoon or evening about 30-60 mins after plugging in. Eventually Octopus suggested that I would get the app to work correctly if I set up the device as my zapppi charger instead of my M3. Tried this and TBH it’s even worse than before.
I have logged a service request with tesla as i suspect my similar issues are to do with the recent change in tesla's mobile service provider which is stopping octopus from communicating with the car to wake it up to charge as well as the tesla app not connecting to the car.

Are you saying that the car is not charging with the Zappi as your device?

From what I can see its given you an extra slot at the end out of normal hours (05:30-07:00) 🤷‍♂️

IO scheduling some charging outside the 1130pm to 0530am window is normal behaviour, albeit somewhat weather dependent, and on the occasions it does you get all electricity you use at your property at the cheap rate. Always worth keeping an eye out for.

IMG_1590.jpeg

Reactions: ACarneiro
Possibly try logging out of then back into Octopus app and also possibly a two button reset in car. I’ve done that in past if enjoying such issues and they seemed to resolve after so doing, though of course it may have just been a coincidence.

On at least one occasion also ended up deleting car from app and going through the process of setting it up again.

I do, I don't find the service that reliable and quite often go to bed wondering if i'll get a charge.

I don't think you'll get the cheaper rates if there is no plan
I honestly have never missed a charge and I live in a really weak mobile phone signal area.

You will always get the cheaper rates for ALL usage between 23:30 and 5:30. There is nothing currently to stop you "abusing" the system and just setting your car to charge at 23:30. its not really in the spirit of the plan but if IO is unreliable I would not blame anyone for doing that.

I find that 90+ % of the time 2-2:30am is in the charge schedule so I have the car set to start charging at 2:15 as a backup so that I will always get at least a partial charge if IO goes wrong but will not really impact its scheduling ability if it is working.