Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After Model X, what should be our next car?

Good Model X alternative for families

• Audi Q7

• Volvo XC90 Hybrid

• BMW X7

• Mercedes Benz GLS 480 (new for 2020)

• Lincoln Navigator

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After buying the model x, this is about the only car I might be able to afford in the future :rolleyes:

Attachments

• The-Best-Electric-Cars.jpg
    The-Best-Electric-Cars.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 75
I obsessively watch car reviews on YouTube, it’s a fun past-time. I feel like I know a lot about cars in the 3-row luxury SUV segment, but haven’t test driven any.

We will be moving on from the Model X when our lease is up. Wayyyy too many service visits and now that Tesla no longer has loaners available and Uber credits don’t help when you have 3 kids in car seats, we are paying for our own rentals during warranty repairs (numerous threads on this topic). Given that the car needs a repair a few times a year, this just won’t fly. Believe me, we love the car and it’s devastating to think of going back to gas and a more traditional SUV. But, suffice to say, the Model X will not work for us anymore.

Has anyone done some cross shopping and could recommend a decent alternative based on experience? Please no judgment or nasty comments. We love Tesla and I love my Model 3. We just can’t have a car at the service center all the time that’s so unreliable...

Just curious, is there a reason you didn't lemon it? I know some of the MX's had some issues, but this sounds a bit excessive? I love mine, no issues so far, but it's still relatively new... if this sort of thing does happen however I'd lemon it and get another one quite honestly... absolutely love it

Just curious, is there a reason you didn't lemon it? I know some of the MX's had some issues, but this sounds a bit excessive? I love mine, no issues so far, but it's still relatively new... if this sort of thing does happen however I'd lemon it and get another one quite honestly... absolutely love it

It’s not that excessive actually. It’s just been the fact that the loaner program is mostly non-existent that any service trips we have needed result in a huge inconvenience for our family. It’s looking like we’ll try a Raven upgrade car though after being disappointed by the alternatives. Is Tesla gets their service act together we can live with car issues.

Reactions: Zorg
I completely understand the idea of 'fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me' when looking for another car. It makes for a very tough decision.

I have owned 3 lemons:
1) A Corvette. I would drive it one day then make an appointment to have some (major) problem fixed. Went on for over two years. Had it in the shop well over a dozen times. Many fixes were factory modifications: known problems. Chevy was terrible about handing out loaners. Sound familiar?
2) A Cadillac STS. Computer died. Fuel system plugged up. Door and trunk latches failed. On and on. Replaced it with another STS: only marginally better. I felt like an idiot when I did that and never heard the end from my spouse about how stupid i was to give Cadillac a second chance. Great about loaners. Service advisors were very likable. Great service experience (but really a bummer to personally experience this fact).
3)A Mazda Speed Six. Very similar to the Corvette: drive it one day, make a service appointment the next. Ridiculously poorly engineered car since most problems seemed to be actual design flaws. So service would fix same problems over and over. Never could get the windows to work for more than a few days without 'forgetting' the positions. Terrible about loaners. Service were nice folks but the problems with the car were never going to get fixed. Sold it long before the warranty was up.

Despite problems with cars 1 and 2, I later bought a GM pickup. It has been flawless. Note the local dealer is terrible about loaners but I went into that purchase with eyes wide open. Was a great decision.

Yet I would NEVER consider a Mazda after the Speed Six purchase. Because the parent company never made attempts to fix the underlying problems: just dumped it on service to fix until out of warranty. A truly horrible company that could care less about their customers.

So for me, the bottom line is whether the parent company tries to make things better. Is there communication between customers and the mother ship? Do the service people make an effort to help (with respect for when their hands are tied by the mother ship)?

Our Model X has been quite good (again: sample quantity of one not significant in any way). And my original reasons for buying the Tesla are still valid: to promote EVs for the masses (they are our best bet to save the environment IMHO) and because they are remarkably safe, superior technology vs. driving a fuel storing gas bomb waiting to burn my family to a crisp (gasoline: 171,500 vehicle fires per year, 345 deaths per year,1300 injuries per year)!

So in your shoes, I might still be willing to just suck up the no loaner fact as a given and give Tesla another chance. There are many Model X owners that are very happy with their choice: hopefully, you can become part of that crowd. But I do completely understand how difficult your decision will be...

• Love
Reactions: Lhshockey24
Is that specific to 350KW charger, like the one at the Outlet mall? Or is that the rate for all their DC chargers?
When I signed up for the app that was the pricing for 150kW speeds ($.99/min). "Level 2" charging is $.03/min. I can't imagine what those 350kW chargers will cost once there are vehicles parked there.
I have still yet to see a single car charging at the Outlet ones.

It’s not that excessive actually. It’s just been the fact that the loaner program is mostly non-existent that any service trips we have needed result in a huge inconvenience for our family. It’s looking like we’ll try a Raven upgrade car though after being disappointed by the alternatives. Is Tesla gets their service act together we can live with car issues.
I wonder if there was some way you could get them to write in a loaner credit on a new purchase? While the SC might not have loaners perhaps Tesla could somehow guarantee that they would cover any rental car costs when your car is in for warranty overnight service?

I have owned 3 lemons:
1) A Corvette.
2) A Cadillac STS.
3)A Mazda Speed Six.

Just curious - what are the model years for the lemons stated, i.e. how many model refreshes have happened since then?

RE: OP - I can't offer a vehicle recommendation, but understand your car seat struggle. I don't have the records in front of me but I believe we had a total of seven (7) SC or Mobile Tech services in 2.5 years of owning our Sep2016 X. We always had a Tesla loaner, but only once was it another X - every other time, an S. Fortunately we only needed two car seat spots.

Just curious - what are the model years for the lemons stated, i.e. how many model refreshes have happened since then?

RE: OP - I can't offer a vehicle recommendation, but understand your car seat struggle. I don't have the records in front of me but I believe we had a total of seven (7) SC or Mobile Tech services in 2.5 years of owning our Sep2016 X. We always had a Tesla loaner, but only once was it another X - every other time, an S. Fortunately we only needed two car seat spots.

The S works for us as a loaner, 3 across. One trick I’ve learned is schedule the FIRST appointment in the morning and arrive early in hopes you can snag a loaner. The Uber credits thing just pisses me off given the total lack of empathy for those with young children who need transportation to/from school!

When I signed up for the app that was the pricing for 150kW speeds ($.99/min). "Level 2" charging is $.03/min. I can't imagine what those 350kW chargers will cost once there are vehicles parked there.
I have still yet to see a single car charging at the Outlet ones.

$.99/min for 150kW!!! Wow!!

I did see one car parked in the 350 charger at the outlets. A Bolt. I wonder if they charged him the full rate for his vehicle that can only take 50 Kw.

Just dropped off my X5 at BMW of Concord. They did provide me a loaner, so courtesy is not dead. But on the other hand, I got a tiny i3 for my SUV. I know that it beats Uber credits stupidity, but your 3 carseats case may not work with most other brands either.

I am someone who was worried to read your post as someone who has a Raven MX on order! Glad to see that you did your due diligence and converged back on the MX, after having gone through the issues first hand. Kudos!

• Love
Just dropped off my X5 at BMW of Concord. They did provide me a loaner, so courtesy is not dead. But on the other hand, I got a tiny i3 for my SUV. I know that it beats Uber credits stupidity, but your 3 carseats case may not work with most other brands either.

I am someone who was worried to read your post as someone who has a Raven MX on order! Glad to see that you did your due diligence and converged back on the MX, after having gone through the issues first hand. Kudos!

Thanks! Congrats on your order!

At least you got a loaner. At EastBay BMW they often are out of them by 7 AM. I have pretty much gave up and just drop off the car on my schedule. I get someone to drive me home or if the weather is nice run home.