Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm...so set it up yesterday and it worked fine the first drive. Next time I got into the car my phone automatically turned on the hotspot per the automation I set up, but didn't connect to the Ownice and now I can't seem to get it to connect at all?

Weird. Can't edit threads on TMC?

Anyhow here's a video...

Not sure how you had the Ownice setup but the first step before anything else is to setup your phone bluetooth configuration (before WiFi connection otherwise the Ownice SSID will not show up on the Tesla WiFi list). After phone "full" bluetooth configuration then you setup the WiFi connection between Ownice and the Tesla in the Tesla car screen (The Ownice SSID should show up after the phone "full" bluetooth configuration). Last step is to set the hotspot configuration in Ownice (using the Tesla browser and the "autoaibox.link" web address) to use the phone hotspot. The green blinking light indicates that the hotspot functionality is not connected between the Ownice and the phone. Make sure to switch "Maximize Compatibility" to ON in the iPhone Personal Hotspot screen or setting 2.4GHz to ON if using Android Phone - since the hotspot functionality will not work otherwise.

Last edited:
Not sure how you had the Ownice setup but the first step before anything else is to setup your phone bluetooth configuration (before WiFi connection otherwise the Ownice SSID will not show up on the Tesla WiFi list). After phone "full" bluetooth configuration then you setup the WiFi connection between Ownice and the Tesla in the Tesla car screen (The Ownice SSID should show up after the phone "full" bluetooth configuration). Last step is to set the hotspot configuration in Ownice (using the Tesla browser and the "autoaibox.link" web address) to use the phone hotspot. The green blinking light indicates that the hotspot functionality is not connected between the Ownice and the phone. Make sure to switch "Maximize Compatibility" to ON in the iPhone Personal Hotspot screen or setting 2.4GHz to ON if using Android Phone - since the hotspot functionality will not work otherwise.
Thanks, that was it. But issue is after I connect once it works great until I get back into the car and then it won't connect to the Bluetooth again and the Green light just keeps flashing?

Thanks, that was it. But issue is after I connect once it works great until I get back into the car and then it won't connect to the Bluetooth again and the Green light just keeps flashing?

Can you still see the CarPlay (iPhone Apps icons) image on the Tesla browser? If so then it did work as intended. The Bluetooth is not suppose to stay connected all the time - it is only active to establish the CarPlay connection then after that the Ownice Bluetooth disconnects. In the case of the blinking green light it is reflecting the Hotspot connection not the Bluetooth connection. I noticed that sometimes my iphone automation to start and stop the iPhone Personal Hotspot does not work correctly so I have been leaving the hotspot on all the time. Check to make sure your iphone hotspot is on and that the "Maximize Compatibility" is set to ON in the iPhone Personal Hotspot screen.

Last edited:
Here's the boot sequence - it is pretty seamless, just takes about 30 seconds to complete. Yes, I need to tidy up the cables a bit more. No audio to avoid the copyright police.

If this is at home, I assume you don’t connect to your home WiFi? This probably would not work as smooth since it would attempt to switch from one WiFi network to another. Even if this is the case, it’s still a slick solution for other use cases.

I just want to report that despite the fact that my Ownice T3 was working flawlessly when I first got it, it recently started acting up. I started getting momentarily disconnections between the phone and the device. I see the Ownice start page for a second or two then it goes back to Carplay. This is an issue that I was experiencing as well on the Carlinkit so I'm starting to wonder if it's not just a Carplay/phone issue.

Also, this week I had a weird bug where as soon as I activated the hotspot, Carplay would disappear and send me back to the Ownice start page. Turned hotspot off on the phone and Carplay showed back up.

Mine has not been the same either. I think it may be all related to Waze. Once Waze connects, problems begin...even if switching to another app. I read that uninstalling/installing it from CarPlay (on the phone) can help, but for me it did not. I'm going to try removing Waze again without installing it and run it for a few days and see what happens.

If this is at home, I assume you don’t connect to your home WiFi? This probably would not work as smooth since it would attempt to switch from one WiFi network to another. Even if this is the case, it’s still a slick solution for other use cases.
Yes, after trying it both ways I don’t have home Wi-Fi connect. If there’s a software update for the car I get notified and then I’ll do the upgrade separately and forget the home network again.

Yes, after trying it both ways I don’t have home Wi-Fi connect. If there’s a software update for the car I get notified and then I’ll do the upgrade separately and forget the home network again.

Interesting. Are software updates the only reason Tesla recommends to connect to your home network? I don’t recall the reason but do remember this recommendation from Tesla and it was just something I did front the start.

Interesting. Are software updates the only reason Tesla recommends to connect to your home network? I don’t recall the reason but do remember this recommendation from Tesla and it was just something I did front the start.
Everything works just fine using the Tesla built-in cellular - I use the mobile app without any issues. The car software updates require/prefer Wifi so I just do it for those whenever I get notified there's one waiting and then forget the home network directly afterwards.

Tesla probably want you to use Wifi since it reduces the load/cost on their cellular network. There must be many people who live in apartments/don't have garages and own Teslas and they probably never connect to their home wifi so it's not anything unusual.

By only having one Wifi network the car knows it simplifies the setup and I think it improves reliability - the sequence you see in the video is repeatable/predictable every time.

By only having one Wifi network the car knows it simplifies the setup and I think it improves reliability - the sequence you see in the video is repeatable/predictable every time.
I wonder if that might impact some of us who've had multiple solutions for this. I've had a couple builds of Tesla-Android prior to the T2C. So my car knows those networks in addition to my home network. Of course the prior networks aren't live anymore.

Do you have to connect to a network to forget it?

Hey guys. I’m having an issue. When I connect to the wifi of my T2C from my iphone, 3 out of 4 times my phone shows the icon that it’s connected to a wifi network. When this happens, my network is super slow and my music constantly buffers. If I toggle my wifi on and off a few times, it will connect to the wifi network of the T2C device but it does not show the wifi icon in my status bar of the phone and it works perfectly.

So it seems like when connected to T2C, somewhere either on the device itself or on my phone, it’s supposed to communicate that even though I’m connected to wifi, it’s not supposed to be used as the actual internet gateway.

It’s like it’s looping data back and forth going from phone > T2C > phone > internet when it should be a direct phone > internet, which is how it initially worked and as mentioned is how it works when I toggle wifi a bunch of times.

Anyone have an idea for a fix? Is there some way I can tell iOS that this isn’t a wifi network even though I connect to it over wifi?