Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So? How was it?

I'm finding it hard to decide between the Pilot Sport All-Season 4 and the CrossClimate+. Both cost roughly the same; I have the hunch that the PS A/S 4 is slightly better in warm weather than the CC+ but the little information I've found is a bit contradictory:

TireRack test data seems to slightly favor the PS A/S 4:
A Michelin representative gave me the following info, which seems to mostly favor the CC+:
  • Pilot Sport A/S 4: wear 10, fuel efficiency 9, handling 8, braking 9 and comfort 9.
  • Cross Climate +: wear 9, fuel efficiency 9, handling 10, braking 10 and comfort 9.
The CC+ was released in 2018, while the PS A/S 4 was just released in July 2020; it is a mystery to me why would Michelin release it if according to their numbers it isn't 'better' than the CC+ and is priced the same?

Also adding to the equation is the recent release of the CrossClimate 2 (successor to the CC+) which is not yet available for Tesla's sizes but could be soon. From their press release:

I put the pilot sport AS4's on the 18" wheels on one of our LR RWD 3's about 2500 miles ago. The handling and braking feel a lot better than the stock MXM4's. The noise level is comparable depending on the pavement. At 42 psi I don't notice much difference in ride but I like a firmer ride. I haven't had them on wet pavement.

The efficiency is definitely less on the PSAS4's. I have driven the same routes almost weekly since Feb. at 77 mph on the freeway with short stretches on surface streets at the beginning and end and tracking the data on Teslafi. The last 3 months have been on the PSAS4 tires. They initially had much worse efficiency, but at this point appear to be less than 10% less efficient than the stock tires and more than 5% less efficient.

I'd get them again in a moment for the handling improvements. They also have more rubber on the sidewalls giving the wheels a little protection.

Reactions: Theraven
@Abiz55 look at www.willtheyfit.com/ and punch in the stock wheel size which you can easily find online. It won’t show you the wheel on the car but you’ll be able to at least see how far off the overall size of the entire wheel and tire will be from stock. You can at least check if the tires are way off in size. As for fitting on the car the +40 offset will work but the 21” is going to be big!

So? How was it?

I'm finding it hard to decide between the Pilot Sport All-Season 4 and the CrossClimate+. Both cost roughly the same; I have the hunch that the PS A/S 4 is slightly better in warm weather than the CC+ but the little information I've found is a bit contradictory:

A Michelin representative gave me the following info, which seems to mostly favor the CC+:
  • Pilot Sport A/S 4: wear 10, fuel efficiency 9, handling 8, braking 9 and comfort 9.
  • Cross Climate +: wear 9, fuel efficiency 9, handling 10, braking 10 and comfort 9.
The CC+ was released in 2018, while the PS A/S 4 was just released in July 2020; it is a mystery to me why would Michelin release it if according to their numbers it isn't 'better' than the CC+ and is priced the same?

Also adding to the equation is the recent release of the CrossClimate 2 (successor to the CC+) which is not yet available for Tesla's sizes but could be soon. From their press release:
I would guess the tires are being rated within their respective classes. The PS AS4 is a different class than the CC+. Also, the TireRack data is mostly subjective, so there's going to be brand bias. I would only look at the data that is actually timed or measured. To me, the only relevant numbers are Slalom time and Lap time, braking distance and G-force, since all the others seem subjective. And even if you only look at measured data, you can't compare between one test and another test, since the surface they use has changed in 3 years, not to mention the temp the day they tested. All those things affect the results.

I would just point out the CC+ is a snow-rated tire that qualifies if you go to British Columbia in Winter.

So? How was it?

All good news.
Eficiency hit: negligible.
Sound: Same. Negligible
Performance: Huge upgrade from OEMs. Wet weather grip compared to OEMs is night/day better
Wear: Too early to tell

I was so impressed that I will replace the tires on our other 3 with the same.

Reactions: Foxtrotter
So? How was it?

Despite what the Michelin rep gave you in terms of those numbers (which were bizarre by the way suggesting that he may have mixed up the numbers for the two tires), there's simply no way that the cross climate is a better handling and Performing tire than the Pilot Sport 4 all season. The latter tire was designed to be the best handling and best performing tire Michelin makes with snow capability. The crossclimate is actually significantly better in snow however and probably rides a little bit better too. But if you need decent snow capability and the best possible handling get the Pilot Sport. It's a successor to the Pilot Sport 3 plus which was already the best handling all season Tire around. But it was noisy and didn't ride all that well. They tried to improve all areas including snow performance in the Pilot Sport All Season 4. So if you're looking for all-weather capability and particularly performance in snow the cross climate is probably the better Tire. Otherwise go with the Pilot Sport.

If there is any question about this look at the classes and the tire sizes available for both tires. The Pilot Sport is available in a multitude of 35 and 30 series sizes, a tip-off that it's an ultra high-performance item and is classed as such by Tire Rack. The cross climate is not available in those tire sizes and is classed as a Grand Touring all-season Tire. It's a great tire but I don't think it's your best choice if performance is important.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

According to the willtheyfit website it looks doable with little increase over the 18" AERO in both width and height.

Screenshot_20201022_160150_com.ksmobile.cb.jpg

Screenshot_20201022_160200_com.ksmobile.cb.jpg

Width wise its extended by 1.3cm either side of the wheel, which seems minimal. Height wise shouldn't be an issue either.

However, taking both of those measurements together, would they move right into the steering knuckle, which is curved over and around the wheel/tire?

This is what I'm trying to find out.

Maybe if someone knows of or has a set of 21's on their car, we can get a more solid answer.

Thanks guys.

According to the willtheyfit website it looks doable with little increase over the 18" AERO in both width and height.

View attachment 601271
View attachment 601272

Width wise its extended by 1.3cm either side of the wheel, which seems minimal. Height wise shouldn't be an issue either.

However, taking both of those measurements together, would they move right into the steering knuckle, which is curved over and around the wheel/tire?

This is what I'm trying to find out.

Maybe if someone knows of or has a set of 21's on their car, we can get a more solid answer.
Not sure man, might be worthwhile to compare these wills to the ones on TSportline website (link)

Right, change of plan!

The 21" wheels are going to be difficult to fit, so now am looking at Vossen HF2 alloys that have become available.

The wheel size is more acceptable, however am a bit worried about the offset on the front.

Can anyone confirm if these would fit with no issue, rubbing etc.

Front
20x9 et 25, 245 35 20

Rear
20x9.5 et 40, 275 30 20

2c7aef13423f24abc606c3b2931fa0ea.jpg

tesla-model-3-with-satin-black-vossen-hf2-wheels-1.jpg

Right, change of plan!

The 21" wheels are going to be difficult to fit, so now am looking at Vossen HF2 alloys that have become available.

The wheel size is more acceptable, however am a bit worried about the offset on the front.

Can anyone confirm if these would fit with no issue, rubbing etc.

Front
20x9 et 25, 245 35 20

Rear
20x9.5 et 40, 275 30 20
The HF2s are amazing! (I have another brand with the same design though)

2020-08-27 16.10.22-1.jpg
2020-08-27 18.14.31.jpg

Hey this is my first post so be kind, Lol.
I own a Black 2019 Tesla 3 performance car and am very happy with it expect for one issue really and would like to hear other owners experiences/advice. So I have had this car for over a 1-1/2 years and have had to replace at least 6 tires and one 20" Wheel due to damage or flats. I live in Pennsylvania and have to drive into philly almost every day and the pot holes here and road work are the main reasons for this. There have also been some nails in my tires as well. I have 20" stock wheels which sell for like $750 new because Tesla is ridiculous, and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires which retail for $335.00 per tire, another rip off since they are unable to tolerate the slightest of potholes without getting a flat and are basically a nail magnet.
1. I would like to keep the 20" wheels but would like some suggestions on after market 20" wheels that fit seamlessly and are good looking and quality but reasonably priced??
2. I would also appreciate any suggestions for 20" tires that handle and look great but can tolerate an occasional pot hole without automatically causing a flat??
Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated:)

When collecting broken necks, its best to have the proper equipment.

- Signature Flahship ONE
- 20x10.5
- 20x11.5
- Polish Lip
- Brushed Face
- Gold Hardware
View attachment 601673

View attachment 601669
View attachment 601675

View attachment 601672

View attachment 601671

So happy to see a company that's chasing the fitment like this for a Tesla.. trying to save up for a set.

Hey this is my first post so be kind, Lol.
I own a Black 2019 Tesla 3 performance car and am very happy with it expect for one issue really and would like to hear other owners experiences/advice. So I have had this car for over a 1-1/2 years and have had to replace at least 6 tires and one 20" Wheel due to damage or flats. I live in Pennsylvania and have to drive into philly almost every day and the pot holes here and road work are the main reasons for this. There have also been some nails in my tires as well. I have 20" stock wheels which sell for like $750 new because Tesla is ridiculous, and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires which retail for $335.00 per tire, another rip off since they are unable to tolerate the slightest of potholes without getting a flat and are basically a nail magnet.
1. I would like to keep the 20" wheels but would like some suggestions on after market 20" wheels that fit seamlessly and are good looking and quality but reasonably priced??
2. I would also appreciate any suggestions for 20" tires that handle and look great but can tolerate an occasional pot hole without automatically causing a flat??
Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated:)

The only way to get more sidewall cushion is to go with 255/35/20 tire and forged wheel will be your only solution for not been damage so easily from pothole.

For the forged wheel, you can get Martian wheel for about $2500/ set, but they will be few lbs heavier than Titan 7 ($3200) or Signature Wheel ($4000). If you care about perfect finishing and fitment, Signature is the way to go. If you don't really care about fitment or finishing, either Martian or Titan 7 would be a good options.

Jova also sell fairly cheap forged wheel for Tesla, the only downside is that you might not get any support if there's anything wrong with the wheel.

*Some rumors that Martian wheel isn't forged due to their weight, but I'm just gonna assume that they are forged since that's what they said on their website.

For what it’s worth, the last set of A/S tires I bought were for my 350Z, which is notoriously hard on tires. I put a set of General G-Max tires on and when they came off (car went full Track car), they looked almost brand new. If you’re looking for a tire that will let you put a lot of miles on it and still be somewhat decent handling wise, then you might consider these. Also a ton less expensive than anything with a Michelin logo on it (a company that makes great tires...but they are really, really, really proud of those things).