Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3P is on order and safe to say I'm keeping the postman busy before it's even arrived! I've been looking at the TSW Tremblants . Has anyone fitted a staggered set of these to a M3P? How would the 20x8.5 5x114.3 ET: 30 / 20x10 5x114.3 ET: 40 combo sit in the arches with a 1" Eibach springs drop?

For the tyres what would be closer to the standard rolling circumference:

Front - 245/35/20 or 235/35/20?
Rear - 285/30/20 or 275/30/20?

Have attached my crude Photoshop of how the car is shaping up in my mind!

You'll be missing the flush spec in the rear by about 15mm and in the front by about 22mm. If you're set on the rim widths, I'd recommend shooting for offsets closer to:

Front: +12mm
Rear: +28mm

If you can't get close to those offsets, then you may need to play with the rim widths. Just remember that every 0.5 inch you add to a rim width is equivalent to subtracting approx 6.3mm from the offset (and vice versa for going down in width).

Would also recommend the 245 and 285 tire combo.

My M3P is on order and safe to say I'm keeping the postman busy before it's even arrived! I've been looking at the TSW Tremblants . Has anyone fitted a staggered set of these to a M3P? How would the 20x8.5 5x114.3 ET: 30 / 20x10 5x114.3 ET: 40 combo sit in the arches with a 1" Eibach springs drop?

I might recommend a more minimally staggered setup. This gives you the aesthetic advantages of staggered without much or any terminal understeer at least not on the street and not at any reasonable speed. I haven't tracked my car in this configuration but I have driven it at or close to the Limit and it does not understeer. This would mean 9.5 x 20 in front with a 265/30 front and a 10.5 x 20 rear wheel with a 275/30 tire this latter Tire being Tesla spec and the front tire not being Tesla spec. The other problem is if you use wider Wheels and you use spacers you're going to kill your range because you're going to have your wheels out in the Airstream way too much. Keep them tucked in - the extra width will get you the look you're looking for without spacers.

Reactions: NXN-P3D and Nichigo
DA475FAF-903B-475B-8CEA-3D32C2D69AF4.jpeg

I might recommend a more minimally staggered setup. This gives you the aesthetic advantages of staggered without much or any terminal understeer at least not on the street and not at any reasonable speed. I haven't tracked my car in this configuration but I have driven it at or close to the Limit and it does not understeer. This would mean 9.5 x 20 in front with a 265/30 front and a 10.5 x 20 rear wheel with a 275/30 tire this latter Tire being Tesla spec and the front tire not being Tesla spec. The other problem is if you use wider Wheels and you use spacers you're going to kill your range because you're going to have your wheels out in the Airstream way too much. Keep them tucked in - the extra width will get you the look you're looking for without spacers.

Agree with running less stagger. Disagree with range being "killed". I'm running a pretty flush setup with tires poking from the bumpers a bit. My wh/mi went from 250 on stock to 260 on the new wheels/tires (this is over 4,000 miles of data). The hit is worth the looks to me and definitely doesn't "kill" the range :)

what is the purpose behind the staggered setup? If it’s wheels being flush, there are other ways that won’t kill range and won’t require 2 different sets of tires (either spacers or same width wheels but with staggered offsets).

Agree with running less stagger. Disagree with range being "killed". I'm running a pretty flush setup with tires poking from the bumpers a bit. My wh/mi went from 250 on stock to 260 on the new wheels/tires (this is over 4,000 miles of data). The hit is worth the looks to me and definitely doesn't "kill" the range :)
But I bet you're not running 285/30 tires stuck out in the Airstream either. Curious what your setup is?

But I bet you're not running 285/30 tires stuck out in the Airstream either. Curious what your setup is?

The width of the tire doesn't matter as much as the offset and actual exposed tire cross section beyond the fender/bumper cover.

Running non stagger 18x9.5 + 22 on 255/40/18 all around.

Attached some pics to show the cross section of the tire in the "airstream".

Attachments

• IMG-1522.jpg
    IMG-1522.jpg
    784.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG-1523.jpg
    IMG-1523.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 286
You'll be missing the flush spec in the rear by about 15mm and in the front by about 22mm. If you're set on the rim widths, I'd recommend shooting for offsets closer to:

Front: +12mm
Rear: +28mm

If you can't get close to those offsets, then you may need to play with the rim widths. Just remember that every 0.5 inch you add to a rim width is equivalent to subtracting approx 6.3mm from the offset (and vice versa for going down in width).

Would also recommend the 245 and 285 tire combo.
Thanks for the advice :) TSW offer the fronts in +20, and the rears in +25 so sounds like that would make for a better fit.

Reactions: Nichigo
The width of the tire doesn't matter as much as the offset and actual exposed tire cross section beyond the fender/bumper cover.
I'd really like to see some data on this. The aerodynamics around the front of a car with a rotating tire are really complex. The tire under the car absolutely is involved in the aerodynamics, and boundary layers and fixed area rules mean that the "poke" may not matter much.

One big reason for range loss is tire compound as well. My super sticky dry weather 265's use notably more energy than my wet weather 265's.

@dfwatt @Nichigo @NXN-P3D I've run staggered setups on a few of my, albeit RWD, cars before for a mix of extra rubber on the powered axle, and the overall aesthetic. With these lipped wheels especially the looks are all in the depth of the deep dish, but understand the compromise on range and potential understeer. Fair to say I'm not concerned about any reduction in range, and the understeer could be balanced out by installing a thicker rear sway / anti-roll bar.

Reactions: Nichigo
I've run staggered setups on a few of my, albeit RWD, cars before for a mix of extra rubber on the powered axle, and the overall aesthetic. With these lipped wheels especially the looks are all in the depth of the deep dish, but understand the compromise on range and potential understeer. Fair to say I'm not concerned about any reduction in range, and the understeer could be balanced out by installing a thicker rear sway / anti-roll bar.

To reduce understeer, I’d personally try to increase grip at the front rather than reducing grip at the rear by fitting a bigger rear bar.

Last edited:
To reduce understeer, I’d personally try to increase grip at the front rather than reducing grip at the rear by fitting a bigger rear bar.
Short of fitting wider wheels at the front, what would you suggest? These particular wheels only come in 8.5 or 10 width. I'm thinking of running 245 section at the front, and 275 (lightly stretched) at the back so the contact patch would be relatively close.

@dfwatt @Nichigo @NXN-P3D I've run staggered setups on a few of my, albeit RWD, cars before for a mix of extra rubber on the powered axle, and the overall aesthetic. With these lipped wheels especially the looks are all in the depth of the deep dish, but understand the compromise on range and potential understeer. Fair to say I'm not concerned about any reduction in range, and the understeer could be balanced out by installing a thicker rear sway / anti-roll bar.
In general most suspension tuners would argue that increasing rear roll stiffness in the context of a heavily staggered setup is not so desirable when weight distribution is 50/50 and cars have AWD. In the case of cars where weight distribution more closely mirrors Tire width front to rear tuning with roll bars might be a first default but that's precious few cars outside Porsche 911). In this case given that weight distribution is 50/50 with AWD you want to go for minimally staggered if not Square. One of the things that people do not realize about the original OEM Performance Tire the 235/35 - 20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the Tesla did significant modifications of its tread and section to create a significantly wider Tire. If you look at Tire Rack spec sheet for that tire its tread width is actually about the average of many 255 tires and a touch wider than any 245 Tire. So replacing the crappy Pirelli P Zeros with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is a default approach. You could also get a 265 / 30 at the rear and this is only modestly wider than the front tire, but it is not Tesla spec. Most people are putting the 275/30 Tesla spec Pilot Sport and once again this tire appears to have been modified by Tesla and Michelin because its tread width is actually wider than any 285 Tire. We have those on both our cars. They are really a superb Tire. My wife's car has the stock OEM 235/35 tires at the front and it does understeer. Mine has a 265 / 275 Tire compliment front to rear and it does not understeer but my car also has sport coilovers with a significantly firmer setting on the shocks so it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison. We will eventually put the 265 / 30s on the front of her car as well.

Last edited: