Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Santa came early today! Sneak peak while waiting for TPMS and tires. 19x9.5 squared ET 35. Concave with straight spokes.
141D5F6A-ECBE-4B0E-B13A-13E9C99766F3.jpeg
782021FE-0BAF-41F6-9FB5-647640908F03.jpeg
8EBE8B5F-28AC-4FA7-8C76-6DEE83146BB4.jpeg

Reactions: pebkac and kbecks13
Pretty sure they are about 21 pounds as they (V804s) are the lightest wheels VMR makes, i have the V710 that are a little heavier at 23 in the same size. These wheels are a great value, especially if you got the 25% off deal for black friday!

Yup. I got in on that deal And yes they’re about 21-22lbs. Honestly trying to spend another 2k for forged just to save another 1-2 lbs isn’t worth it. They have a good reputation and had a design, finish, and offset I wanted. Will post pics when they’re on!

Please advise, (Performance Sleeper) I Want to run square, same setup Front and Rear. I can't drop, my driveway is steep.
I don't Mind range, I commute 10 Miles back and forth and don't use this vehicle for travel.
My first preference is the 265-35R19 Tire and as long as their is no rubbing, I don't mind what offset to use.
The wheels I like don't offer custom offset.

Option 1: Wheels - 19x9.5 +40 Offset with 265-35 R19
Option 2: Wheels - 19x9.5 +40 Offset with 255-40 R19
Option 3: Wheels - 19x9.5 +20 Offset with 265-35 R19
Option 4: Wheels - 19x9.5 +20 Offset with 255-40 R19

Option 5: Wheels - 19x8.5 +32 Offset with 255-40 R19
Option 6: Wheels - 19x8.5 +40 Offset with 255-40 R19
Option 7: Wheels - 19x8.5 +32 Offset with 245-40 R19
Option 8: Wheels - 19x8.5 +40 Offset with 245-40 R19

Thank you all!!!

I went with
19x9.5” +35
265/35R19

Gave me a little more rubber with 265s. Looks like this...
IMG_1824 2.jpg

Here's what I think would ultimately make you the happiest. If you have to have all seasons there's only one choice the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. It's the best performing all-season Tire by a significant margin, but it's not great in snow. Decent but not great. We have a pair. On the wheel front and on the tire size front I think you've got several choices. You could go with a relatively stock 235 / 40 - 19, or up your game and get a wider wheel, 9.5 in, and put on a 265 / 35 - 19. If you've got the budget and you can afford VS forged, they're the best value, and that wheel and tire combination won't weigh anything more than stock but will give you a lot more traction. However again it will not be great in snow particularly if you go to 265 / 35. It will still be way safer in the winter than the Michelin Pilot 4S tires, pretty close to them in dry weather frankly. Of course you're always better off having dedicated winter and summer Tires if you live in a Northern climate. But if you have to have all seasons, the 3 + is the best all-around compromise.

Read a few of these threads..What do you think of the TSS 20’s staggered set?

Read a few of these threads..What do you think of the TSS 20’s staggered set?

They look great, i think the only concern (if you even want to call it that) is you will be more understeer with the larger rear tires. The car is already very well balanced with the even weight distribution and adding a lot more rubber under the rear means the front is almost always where you will lose traction first.

What kind of efficiency change can we expect going from the stock 20 inch wheels on the P3D+ to a 19x9.5 forged wheel? I would expect it to be quite similar given we drop weight but we gain more tread width.

Dropping rotational inertia improves acceleration but does not really make that much difference on efficiency. Bigger variables there are aerodynamics and rolling resistance of the tire.

Reactions: kbecks13
I’d like to get some WHITE rims to replace my OEMs (235/45 R18 aeros with -40 offset) as my regular rims. I Would then use my OEMs as my winter rims. I know very little about rims.

By getting white rims for my regular tire do I open myself to any concerns like getting scratched easier?

As far size, I want to stay with 18" bc of lower probability of getting damaged on Michigan potholes. Do I have to stay with -40 offsets or is there a range that fits?

Finally, when it comes to material, is there anything important that I should look for or stay away from?

Thanks in advance.

By getting white rims for my regular tire do I open myself to any concerns like getting scratched easier?

Things get scratched because of the hardness or durability of the coating, not necessarily the color - though they will be more apparent/harder to hide with white. A good white powder coat should be pretty durable though.

As far size, I want to stay with 18" bc of lower probability of getting damaged on Michigan potholes. Do I have to stay with -40 offsets or is there a range that fits?

+40 is best to keep suspension geometry as designed, but you could go up or down 5mm without too much concern.

Finally, when it comes to material, is there anything important that I should look for or stay away from?

Uhh pretty much anything Aluminum :) Cast is cheapest and heaviest and WEAKEST (the stock wheels), flow formed (sometimes called flow "forged" but that's a lie lol) is medium price and fairly light and then forged is most expensive and lightest (only a little lighter than flow form normally). Personally i'd suggest getting a pair of flow formed wheels to get the best trade-off between price, weight and strength.

Reactions: SpartyTM3
Hi all,

My setup is definitely not as sexy as most of the ones being posted here, but I'm in snow country with a brand new baby in a carseat in the back, so... ;)

Given the above, my primary concerns were traction and cost (I didn't need these to look good, I just needed them to keep everyone safe on slippery New England winter roads). After much debate about which snow tires to go with, I ended up buying a set of Hakka R3s at my local Tire Warehouse, then bought a set of Liquidmetal Shift wheels (and lug nuts) from Discount Tire, along with sets of TPMS sensors (worked great, link below) and aluminum hub rings (did NOT work! More on that below) from Amazon.

I hemmed and hawed, and ultimately decided to have the guys at the local Tire Warehouse mount and balance the tires/wheels/TPMS sensors, but not install the wheels on the car, because I was paranoid about them jacking up the car wrong and damaging the battery (they seemed competent and they probably would have done a fine job, but I didn't want to take the risk... the guy said they'd done a bunch of Teslas already, and maybe he was even telling the truth. I'm sure as time goes on they'll end up doing tons of Teslas and learn to lift them correctly, but I figure I'll let them learn on somebody else's car), then I installed the wheels myself.

ONE BIG NOTE TO OTHERS DOING THEIR MODEL 3 WHEELS THEMSELVES FOR THE FIRST TIME:
This is probably obvious to many, but it didn't occur to me: The Model 3 has lower ground clearance than my other cars, and the floor jack I had has too high of a minimum height to get under the car. So I had to wait a couple days to do the wheels until I could get to a Harbor Freight and buy a low-profile floor jack. So a word to the wise: If you're doing your Model 3 for the first time, check the minimum height of your jack, and the clearance to the jack points on your car (also remember to deduct the additional thickness of any lift pads/pucks if you're using them... I made my own out of hockey pucks, which are exactly 1 inch thick).
tesla_winter_tires-20191205-IMG_3316.jpg

When I first started trying to get the Aero covers off I was worried I was doing something wrong and would crack the plastic and I actually stopped to read the owner's manual about how to get them off. Turns out just pulling gently on them got them right off no problem.

I was surprised to see the size of the OEM lug nuts... turns out they are 21mm nuts (also probably obvious to many, but it hadn't occurred to me to look that up). Thankfully one of the four sockets on my trusty, 40-year-old monkey wrench was a 21mm.

As soon as I got the first wheel off it was apparent how much rust was on the wheel hubs (which was a little surprising, given that the car is only a year old):
tesla_winter_tires-20191205-IMG_3317.jpg

I knew the tolerances on the hub rings were going to be tight, so I decided to try to wirebrush off the hubs before I put the hub rings on. After a steel bristle brush and then two grades of steel wool, I was only slightly successful:
tesla_winter_tires-20191205-IMG_3320.jpg

It then occurred to me that if I was putting aluminum hub rings on these hubs it would be a disaster if I then couldn't get them off when I needed to switch back to the summer wheels, so I decided to lube the hubs before putting on the hub rings. I couldn't find any grease around the garage, so I lubed them with oil instead. Even with the oil, the aluminum rings I bought on Amazon DID NOT FIT (these are the ones I bought... DO NOT BUY THESE, THEY DON'T FIT!). Maybe it was the rust on the hubs. Anyway, luckily along with the aftermarket lug nuts, Discount Tire included some plastic rings in their "installation package," so I used those, which fit just fine:
tesla_winter_tires-20191205-IMG_3321.jpg

I got all four wheels changed over, added a bit of air to each to get them up to 40 PSI, went for a short drive, and in just a couple of minutes the car picked up the new TPMS sensors automatically, asked me which size wheels I was using, and started displaying the new tire pressures. These are the TPMS sensors I got... they were nice and cheap at $140 for the set, and I can confirm they work beautifully.

At that point I noticed that the pressures were still a bit low (my cheap old tire pressure gauge must not be very accurate ) so I added more air to get the pressures as read by the TPMS up to 40 PSI.

I'm generally happy with how they look; I may look in to getting some lug nut covers, but I'm not super concerned about it.

Here's my baby with her snow boots on! :D
tesla_winter_tires-20191207-IMG_3628-Edit.jpg

Looking for a set of wheels to mount winter tires. Found a set that I like and the specs are:

18x8
+45 offset
5x114.3 bolt pattern
700 Load capacity

Any idea how to determine if these will be compatible with the Model 3? They are half inch narrower but have increased 5mm offset. Thanks in advance.

That load capacity is a definite NO.
You will bend your rims just from weight of the car.