Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket yoke steering wheel in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, I’ve been the recipient of those FedEx & UPS delay notifications one too many times myself.
My suggestion to you: Take your Plaid out for a quick spin and punch the accelerator! That will make you forget about the delay… at least for about 2 seconds!! Get my drift? 😁
I can’t! For a week, I’m being graded by Tesla’s safe driver app on the Plaid; in hopes of getting FSD beta this coming weekend!

I can’t! For a week, I’m being graded by Tesla’s safe driver app on the Plaid; in hopes of getting FSD beta this coming weekend!
Oh yes you can… 👍

I have the new Safety Score on my app/vehicle as well, and it does NOT track straight line acceleration.
Trust me. I’ve tested it (several times) already and have launched my vehicle from a stop light as quick/fast as it will accelerate.
My safety score afterwards.. 100%!!

You get knocked on forward collision warnings, hard braking, aggressive turning, unsafe following and forced autopilot disengagements.
But for some odd reason, Tesla’s Safety Score system does not care how fast you accelerate or your top end speed.
Perhaps that will eventually change, but for now you can accelerate as hard and drive as fast as you want… in a straight line that is…

So, get out there in your Plaid and punch it!!! :cool:

By the way, my current cumulative Safety Score is 97.

Last edited:
Oh yes you can… 👍

I have the new Safety Score on my app/vehicle as well, and it does NOT track straight line acceleration.
Trust me. I’ve tested it (several times) already and have launched my vehicle at a stop light as quick/fast as it will accelerate.
My safety score afterwards.. 100%!!

You get knocked on forward collision warnings, hard braking, aggressive turning, unsafe following and forced autopilot disengagements.
But for some odd reason, Tesla’s Safety Score system does not care how fast you accelerate or your top end speed.
Perhaps that will eventually change, but for now you can accelerate as hard and drive as fast as you want… in a straight line that is…

So, get out there in your Plaid and punch it!!! :cool:

By the way, my current cumulative Safety Score is 97.
Mine is 99, with about 170 miles logged.

Surely, Safety Score alone won’t be the determining factor in deciding who will be given access to FSD beta.
I wonder how Tesla will ultimately choose those lucky few…

By the way, FedEx tracking says my yoke departed the FedEx hub in Anchorage, Alaska at 4:50pm local time today.
Hopefully, that means it’ll be delivered by the end of the week. Hurray!!

Last edited:
Question, with the heated version, how is the install? I had a yoke in my Model 3 since June, which is not heated but want to install in my MYP which is. Wonder how to install as from the pics, it’s two wires bare and not a plug.

Any help would be nice, as if it’s easy, I’ll order now. Thanks ahead!

Question, with the heated version, how is the install? I had a yoke in my Model 3 since June, which is not heated but want to install in my MYP which is. Wonder how to install as from the pics, it’s two wires bare and not a plug.

Any help would be nice, as if it’s easy, I’ll order now. Thanks ahead!
Another member (imschur) installed a heated yoke. He posted on another similar thread linked below. Send him a PM. I’m sure he‘d be happy to respond and answer your questions. Good luck!!

Post in thread 'Model 3/Y Yoke Style Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel [hansshow]'
Model 3/Y Yoke Style Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel [hansshow]

Another member (imschur) installed a heated yoke. He posted on another similar thread linked below. Send him a PM. I’m sure he‘d be happy to respond and answer your questions. Good luck!!

Post in thread 'Model 3/Y Yoke Style Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel [hansshow]'
Model 3/Y Yoke Style Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel [hansshow]

Thanks and will do. The one they installs is from Hansshow though, and I’d grab off of AliExpress (Aroham). Wonder if it’s the same deal with the wires and such? I’ll inquire!

Surely, Safety Score alone won’t be the determining factor in deciding who will be given access to FSD beta.
I wonder how Tesla will ultimately choose those lucky few…

By the way, FedEx tracking says my yoke departed the FedEx hub in Anchorage, Alaska at 4:50pm local time today.
Hopefully, that means it’ll be delivered by the end of the week. Hurray!!
Could be, or it could end up in The lost and found, or “confiscated” bin at Orange Co. airport like mine is.…

Mine arrived 😁😁😁

Screenshot_20210929-145836_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210929-145825_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210929-145813_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210929-145752_Gallery.jpg

@GreenHokie Received a response from Homie, re the shape differences and wires. I will have to find another solution for the wires as I’m not going to cut the connector off of my car’s harness! Seems like a genuine response, re the reason for the different looking Yokes.

My yoke left SoCal and is now in Seattle. I should get it tomorrow.

FF9B6FCF-23D4-4E6F-9012-2637503C3916.png

Reactions: GreenHokie
How did the install go? Heated yoke? How do you like the shape of this yoke? Does it block the screen at all?

Install was simplistic but tricky.

Take your time and all goes smoothly.

I couldn't fit the Heated Wiring because all I had was three wires poking out of the Yoke

Red Wire, White Wire, Two thin black wires seamed together.

On the original Tesla Wiring loom theres a Red Wire, a Black wire and two thinner blue Wires. But these are wired to a connector.

Because I didn't know this, I've had no time to prepare a suitable connector and therefore not been able to wire up the heating side.

I now need to find an appropriate connector and get it set up for a simple neat connection.

I'm NOT cutting off the connector to the original steering wheel.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jebinc
@GreenHokie Received a response from Homie, re the shape differences and wires. I will have to find another solution for the wires as I’m not going to cut the connector off of my car’s harness! Seems like a genuine response, re the reason for the different looking Yokes.

My yoke left SoCal and is now in Seattle. I should get it tomorrow.

View attachment 715764

Would you mind posting the complete wiring instructions so I can read through... cheers

@PITA After looking at this more, the connecter they want you to reuse for the heating wires is the one on the old wheel. Since I have a soldering iron, solder, heat gun, solder sleeves, and shrink wrap, I think I can cleanly remove the old connector and reinstall on the Aroham (aka Homie) Yoke. If and well I sell the car, I can easily reverse the process to restore the car to "as delivered" condition. @GreenHokie @BojangleGuy

@PITA After looking at this more, the connecter they want you to reuse for the heating wires is the one on the old wheel. Since I have a soldering iron, solder, heat gun, solder sleeves, and shrink wrap, I think I can cleanly remove the old connector and reinstall on the Yoke. If and well I sell the car, I can easily reverse the process to restore the car to "as delivered" condition.

Yeah... same here... but I'm not happy about that

Reactions: jebinc