Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air conditioning system strength (in general)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just spent a few weeks in Dallas (105+) and then went north to get to the "cooler" 95 degree temps. The sun is fairly intense right now. I have an aluminet blanket/tarp that I use at dog agility shows during the day. Very easy to throw over the Y and I lock it in place shutting it inside the doors. 12' x 6.5 feet is a good size. Super easy and it keeps everything protected. I usually turn on A/C via app if I'm getting ready to go, but if I forget, taking care of the tarp gives it enough time to cool things down. Instead of starting from 105+, it's starting from maybe 80.

On those days, I forgot to tarp it, the A/C cooled things off very quickly.

We live in an extremely humid and hot area in NC - how does the Model Y A/C system keep up with cooling a cabin after sitting in the sun?
I live in Southern New Mexico and own a 2021 Model Y. I recently tested the AC when the cabin was 140F. It cooled down roughly 10F per minute. This was with a tinted windshield and front windows but no extra tinting or shade on the roof.

We live in an extremely humid and hot area in NC - how does the Model Y A/C system keep up with cooling a cabin after sitting in the sun? I'm used to Lexus A/C's which were decent and older American cars A/C systems are superb. Recently got an Audi Q5 which is weak in the hot weather.

How does the Model Y fair? I know I heard some complaints on FB groups. I would be getting ceramic tint all around as well.

My MY is parked outside without shade in muggy NYC and I have no complaints about the AC, takes 2-5 minutes to feel the cool air when starting from a 100-105 F cabin.

I did recently begin using the Tesla roof and lift gate sun shades along with a covercraft UVS 100 sun shade for the windshield.

I've been thinking about applying Prestige Spectra PhotoSync tints to all windows (minus the roof?) since delivery in 03/2021 for heat rejection, but fear it'll add unecessary obstruction as a driver so I haven't done it yet.

I live in south Louisiana; it is like the surface of the sun. The model Y's AC is awesome. No issues. I did tint the sunroof and windshield though, and I have overheat protection enabled which all helps.
Surface of the sun combined with the moisture content of Niagara Falls constantly suspended in the air. If the MY can keep up with that, it should be good in any hot / humid climate in the States at least.

Our model Y AC is great, it has been 100-110 daily temps for the past 2 months here. Zero issues. Even if I forget to precondition and leave it in the parking lot at 105 degrees outside for an hour (like I did yesterday with my toddler). I hit the fan on the app approaching the car and it was cool by the time I had her strapped into the car seat. (Only front driver/pass windows tinted).

Our 2 late model German car ACs are insufficient (not designed for this climate) and "barely" keep up when it is 95-100*. Completely inadequate in 101-110 temps, maxed out, not cool enough.

Our late model Chevy truck designed for obese people that keep their AC at 62 inside all year is ridiculously overpowered and feels like a wind tunnel on max. You could hang meat in that thing. The Tesla is not like this but it doesn't need to be.

Reactions: BitJam
I have an aluminet blanket/tarp that I use at dog agility shows during the day. Very easy to throw over the Y and I lock it in place shutting it inside the doors. 12' x 6.5 feet is a good size. Super easy and it keeps everything protected.
I'm interested in more details. What % aluminet are you using? Do you have to worry about scratching or damaging the car? How does it hold up in high winds? Is there a danger of damaging the windows or weather strip when you close it in the doors?

We live in an extremely humid and hot area in NC - how does the Model Y A/C system keep up with cooling a cabin after sitting in the sun? I'm used to Lexus A/C's which were decent and older American cars A/C systems are superb. Recently got an Audi Q5 which is weak in the hot weather.

How does the Model Y fair? I know I heard some complaints on FB groups. I would be getting ceramic tint all around as well.
I live in the Austin area and we have had weeks and weeks of 100F+ temps. I think the Model Y A/C is one of the best.

Every other vehicle I have owned, I would turn the temp to the lowest setting. I never need to do that in the Y.
I set it to 70-71F and it feels perfect.

I am super impressed. I have never set it below 69F in all these weeks of insane heat.

One thing I must add, I would recommend a sunshade. For sure the aircon is awesome but I found my bald head feeling the heat. I invested in one of these and I love it. Top quality, fitted it in minutes and it really does help keep it a little cooler.

Last edited:
What % aluminet are you using? Do you have to worry about scratching or damaging the car? How does it hold up in high winds? Is there a danger of damaging the windows or weather strip when you close it in the doors?
I have a 70% silver one. Haven't seen any scratching or markings on the Y from using it, although the first time, I did worry a wee bit about that.
I also have a UST survival blanket (orange on one side, silver on the other) which works well. They are about $20 but are a bit smaller (about 5x7) but softer, but you'll need 2 to cover the entire car. They are good privacy screens when at an RV park as well. Those are compact and handy plus you get the 2 colors.
Never have had any issue with wind when "locking" it in the doors.

Reactions: BitJam