Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air intake filter surfaced

Do you use any product to 'improve' the HVAC system?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picture please. :D
@jipvk Here ya go! Obviously, I removed the cover in order to take a picture. Snaps right back on.
M3 air intake.jpg

I cut and fit that green high flow, moisture resistant fibrous HVAC Return air side filter in mine; works great. This is the green fibrous stuff you cut to size and put inside your large HVAC return air grate(s). Keeps needles out and allows for max airflow. ;)

The Green filter works. See what it has collected in a week. Only $5 from Home Depot. Enough for about 6 filters.View attachment 537169

Is this it? AAF Flanders 24 in. x 36 in. x 1 in. Cut-To-Fit MERV 4 Air Filter (Case of 12)-40655.012436 - The Home Depot

I could only find it on HomeDepot.com as a $120 12-pack. And the closest in-store I can find is this blue washable filter, but it appears to have much more dense weave of fibers than the green one in the photos.

I got hit with the stinky-cabin syndrome and I discovered a decent amount of debris at the bottom of the cabin filter compartment, and it was a bitch to trying snake a hose down there to vacuum the stuff out. So I want to avoid having to repeat that task in the future.

$17 and done... newer version (been out a few months now). Lays flat, comes in different shapes (AMER vs EMEA/APAC cars). httpss://m.aliexpress.com/item/4001264946990.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&spm=a2g0n.store_home.allProducts_36051628.4001264946990
Screenshot_20201024-072221_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201024-072212_Gallery.jpg

Is this it? AAF Flanders 24 in. x 36 in. x 1 in. Cut-To-Fit MERV 4 Air Filter (Case of 12)-40655.012436 - The Home Depot

I could only find it on HomeDepot.com as a $120 12-pack. And the closest in-store I can find is this blue washable filter, but it appears to have much more dense weave of fibers than the green one in the photos.

I got hit with the stinky-cabin syndrome and I discovered a decent amount of debris at the bottom of the cabin filter compartment, and it was a bitch to trying snake a hose down there to vacuum the stuff out. So I want to avoid having to repeat that task in the future.
Just go to any HD and you’ll find a single sheet for cheap. IIRC, $4.99.

The plastic filter cover would be nice if it was easily removable instead of being double sided taped on. The green filter looks like an easier solution but maybe more than needed. To much filtering in the intake does affect the blower output and increases wear.

Just go to any HD and you’ll find a single sheet for cheap. IIRC, $4.99.

Everything that Home Depot has in stock is usually listed on their website, which is why I asked. But I went to the local HD to check anyway, and it wasn’t there.

I ended up getting a “True Blue” cut-to-fit frameless/washable filter for $10 instead. After installing it, I don’t notice any significant reduction in airflow when pulling in outside air, so it’ll probably suffice.

Reactions: jebinc
Everything that Home Depot has in stock is usually listed on their website, which is why I asked. But I went to the local HD to check anyway, and it wasn’t there.

I ended up getting a “True Blue” cut-to-fit frameless/washable filter for $10 instead. After installing it, I don’t notice any significant reduction in airflow when pulling in outside air, so it’ll probably suffice.

Found the green NaturalAire filter at Walmart for $5. FYI.

I'm glad I found this thread - I need a solution for my Model Y, no one seems to be making a pre-filter. My Model 3 HVAC got full of cottonwood the first spring I had the car and it was a bear to get some it back out. I found the filter material at my local Home Depot for under $10.

Nice idea with the mesh filter. The paper filter sucks, literally. I bought it and as soon as I installed it, the airflow was restricted probably 75%. Removed it and the airflow went back to normal. I'll take a look at Lowe's today and see if there is something like that there that I can cut to size.