TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Air Quality in Canberra worst in the world today.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Petergarrett38, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Petergarrett38

Today Canberra has again the worst air quality in the world, it was double what it is now on New Years day. wishing I bought the HEPA Air Filtration and Bioweapon Defense Mode. Does anyone know if this is available in Australia?

2. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

The whole world is watching Oz burn. A horrendous situation.... Good luck.

• Love x 1
  3. paulp

paulp Active Member

It’s available in new tesla. It cannot be retrofitted. Its very effective too.

4. Grenadine

Grenadine Member

Bioweapon defence mode was amazing driving through the haze over the past two weeks and 5000km. Just incredible. Many many occasions where you could not smell smoke until you stepped out of the car.

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Active Member

Drove from Sydney to Melbourne yesterday in our X and used the BDM often, could never smell smoke inside the cabin when on...visibility was down to 50m’s at times but yet it air quality inside the car perfect.

• Like x 1
  6. ARMARM

ARMARM Member

I had it done to my October 2017 build Model X, best off to ask your local service centre directly.

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 11.14.34 am.png

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. Kiwiadventure

Kiwiadventure Member

And your brown smoke is now over Auckland which is making Auckland real dark.

8. Kiwiadventure

Kiwiadventure Member

You'll need to replace air filters

9. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Active Member

guess you’re right, but at $170 to replace them all compared to having smoke in the cabin I’ll go the filter replacement....

• Like x 1
  10. RareEarth

RareEarth Member

Tonight the smoke in Canberra was even worse, we are up here waiting for word on when we can get back to our place near Cobargo.
    Tomorrow if the smoke is bad again we are going to just get in the car, engage bioweapon defence mode and go for a drive. Might head out to Jugiong for a few beers at the excellent pub there (NRMA charger just across the road).

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. Nuclear Fusion

That’s the sum total of not having voting (the world over) weighted by education level, age & IQ score

12. paulp

paulp Active Member

Ok I get that IQ is important, but how does age impact an arsonist, and why does voting change their behaviour?

13. PJF000

PJF000 Member

I think it relates to who should have the ability to vote and how each vote is valued.
    At the moment it is called Democracy. The opposite of Democracy is Tyranny!

14. Nuclear Fusion

Between Alan Jones & Andrew Bolt I consider the former to be the more argumentatively persuasive. I think it’s the handkerchief in the jacket pocket that does it for me...

15. paulp

paulp Active Member

Not sure what you are on about, but best not select one word from my sentence and use it as an out of context quote.

16. Petergarrett38

@ARMARM thanks for info will book it in.

17. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

So long as it's a facelift model (about August 2016 onwards) you can get it retrofitted.
    I had it retrofitted to my car (Oct 2016). I think it was $350.
    Absolutely wonderful, best money I've spent. Not sure if widely known, but the filter is filtering all the time, not just when in Biohazard mode.
    When in Biohazard mode it increases the fan speed to positively pressure the car, reducing ingress of outside air through cracks in doors and windows, but even in normal usage it is basically filtering all incoming air.
    As far as I can tell it completely filters smoke. It is supposed to filter viruses which are about 1nm in size, so should filter PM2.5 particles (the most dangerous part of smoke) which are 2.5nm.

• Like x 1
  18. paulp

paulp Active Member

That explains why I can no longer smell those smokey exhausts.

19. JayTee

JayTee Member

Interesting, I didnt know that. Always wondered why it seems to make no difference to outside smells with Bio weapons mode on or off.

The cabin filtering is superb, we drove our S about 200km today through some pretty smoky areas, couldn't smell any smoke in the car at all.

Im thinking I will be changing the filter in a couple of months when hopefully all the smoke is gone. Living in Sydney this past 2 months has probably put 5 years of normal use on the cabin filter.

• Like x 1
  20. bradjc

bradjc Member

I got a quote to get the bioweapon defence filter retrofit done at the Richmond service centre last Nov on a 2016 updated nose model S. They were asking $860 installed, decided it was a bit exy. @ShockOnT was the $350 including installation? Seems like a no brainer at that price.