Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blindfold test!

Ed, we need someone like lolacarchamp to do a blindfold test in MS on 5.8 and MS on 5.9 to see if there's really noticeable ride difference. As a passenger, of course. I cannot advocate blindfolded driving.
Yes! Blindfold test! Start with the 90+ MPH. No help from the screaming passengers allowed.

Glad to see we kept a sense of humor though this. Things are looking up. IMHO we must redirect the energy used in these discussions to get active in each of our respective states where there is an all out assault waged by car dealers assoc. Temporarily fought off here in Washington state (the bills going though the legislature are still horribly worded). Anyway, cheers to all. Sunny day out. Let's go for a drive in a fantastic car!

Last edited:
I'm pissed off, it only allows you to keep it on "always" if you want it to be lowered below 55 mph. What if I want to lower the car at 35? 15? 20?

Similarly, the upper limit is "100 mph" or "never"... What if I want to keep it in normal at 105, but have it lower at 110?

Tesla really screwed this up. This is a deal-breaker. They hate their customers. I can't believe they won't listen.

</sarcasm> for the impaired.

So, is it worth it?

Is your ride back?
I never had it to begin with. When I got my car 5.8 was applied at the SvcC despite my having told them to NOT apply it when my car came in. I AM experiencing a bit of a problem though. I very much like the increased speeds at which one can apply high and very high but I chose for my car to apply low at 50 MPH. This does not seem to work. It stays in normal unless I force it to go into low. If I select low it does drop into low stance. It just doesn't seem to want to do it at the designated speed.

I never had it to begin with. When I got my car 5.8 was applied at the SvcC despite my having told them to NOT apply it when my car came in. I AM experiencing a bit of a problem though. I very much like the increased speeds at which one can apply high and very high but I chose for my car to apply low at 50 MPH. This does not seem to work. It stays in normal unless I force it to go into low. If I select low it does drop into low stance. It just doesn't seem to want to do it at the designated speed.

Right, I seem to recall that about 100 pages or so ago :)

What about setting it to something like 65, does it drop then?

I believe these types of settings have a hysteresis to prevent them from continuously going to normal to low and back. That is, you must go a bit above the threshold to switch to low, and a bit below the threshold to switch back to normal.

When we had the original auto lowering you needed to be at 55mph for at least 1 minute before it would lower, is this not happening.

Reboot

Yup...I ALWAYS reboot after an update. I rebooted and assured that the setting stayed then took it out for a test drive. No drop. With the screen up I watched it go immediately from very high to high, then from high to normal but NOT from normal to low. Checked it once more this morning. Setting was still correct. Rebooted again anyway and took it out for a breakfast spin. The instant she hit 50 MPH she dropped into low and it was VERY comforting!!! Checked it out a few more times before returning home with breakfast and it would seem that all is well now. I am not sure what caused it to NOT work yesterday, but I am happy that all seems well today.

Actually it may be the exact height increase necessary to clear a very common, heavy object likely to be found on the road, a ball hitch. We already know of two Model S's that have impacted one, one of which resulted in a fire, the other in a damaged pack.

Quoting myself again and patting myself on the back:

Tesla?s testing reproduced damage similar to that seen in the Tennessee incident, and also showed that a change in ride height strategy, which was implemented in Nov. 2013 via a telematic software update to prevent the SVs lowering at legal roadway speeds, mitigates the risk of battery compartment penetration when a three-ball hitch is struck.