Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that 5.9 gives us back low suspension height at highway speeds, I am wondering if I should start using it. Could it be that the uneven wearing of the rear tires is being caused or aggrevated by the low suspension setting?

I just had my winter tires (21 inch) swapped out for summer tires (21 inch). From mid-September to mid-December I used the summer tires for 8,000 km and the rear tires had more wear on the inside, which was expected. However, the winter tires, even though they are softer, did not have any extra wear on the inside, after 9,000 km (mid-December to late-March). The only difference: the summer tires were used for a lot of highway driving with the automatic low suspension height, the winter tires were used for a lot of highway driving with the - then - automatic standard suspension height.

Last edited:
@AR what's this about camber bolts please elucidate.

I'm using terms I don't understand, but here goes... There is a service bulletin for reducing rear camber in order to prevent the uneven rear tire wear that we have seen reported here and elsewhere. Lolachampcar is the TMC member who is an expert on this subject and is intricately familiar with the Model S suspension - you should PM him for some tips, or maybe he will post here.

Although I don't have uneven wear on my rear tires, I asked for the camber bolts to be installed and the camber reduced because most of the uneven wear has been linked to cars with air suspensions. The low setting causes camber to increase. With the reinstatement of the low mode, I thought it couldn't hurt to remove as much camber as possible as a preventive since the car will now be spending more time in low. Service center advised that camber bolt bulletin is really intended for 21" wheels, but they said there is no issue installing it on 19s and the results should be about the same.

I'm using terms I don't understand, but here goes... There is a service bulletin for reducing rear camber in order to prevent the uneven rear tire wear that we have seen reported here and elsewhere. Lolachampcar is the TMC member who is an expert on this subject and is intricately familiar with the Model S suspension - you should PM him for some tips, or maybe he will post here.

Although I don't have uneven wear on my rear tires, I asked for the camber bolts to be installed and the camber reduced because most of the uneven wear has been linked to cars with air suspensions. The low setting causes camber to increase. With the reinstatement of the low mode, I thought it couldn't hurt to remove as much camber as possible as a preventive since the car will now be spending more time in low. Service center advised that camber bolt bulletin is really intended for 21" wheels, but they said there is no issue installing it on 19s and the results should be about the same.

FWIW, last Thursday/Friday my S was in for the 12k service. They did the front steering washers and the rear camber bolts and then did a full 4 wheel alignment. I have had no significant tire wear issues on my 19s.

Anybody have an idea what 'performed ride height calibration' is during annual service? Are they trying to slip one by us by physically adjusting something to manually increase the default ride height with air suspensions? (this was found on Model S Annual Service Checklist thread)

annual.png

Anybody have an idea what 'performed ride height calibration' is during annual service? Are they trying to slip one by us by physically adjusting something to manually increase the default ride height with air suspensions? (this was found on Model S Annual Service Checklist thread)

They check to ensure the car still sits at the appropriate height at all four air shocks, and can adjust as necessary to ensure things remain there and level. This is a required pre-requisite to alignment procedures.

They check to ensure the car still sits at the appropriate height at all four air shocks, and can adjust as necessary to ensure things remain there and level. This is a required pre-requisite to alignment procedures.

I noticed the brackets that mount the ride height sensors are not very robust so I can see the need to occasionally check them to make sure one was not inadvertently bent since it would affect the ride height.

View attachment 46439

On the 5.9 update, I immediately noticed that the "low" setting is not as low as before. I personally liked the aggressive stance of "low" in 5.6 and a bit disappointed. Does anyone know if Tesla would calibrate to the old "low"?

On the 5.9 update, I immediately noticed that the "low" setting is not as low as before. I personally liked the aggressive stance of "low" in 5.6 and a bit disappointed. Does anyone know if Tesla would calibrate to the old "low"?

It is not. But to be absolutely fair to Tesla, they never stated that the previous low would be integrated to 5.9. Goes in line with Tesla's strategy for some of these items - careful wording.