Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension? Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Air suspension on MY will major change not just sw update and hence it will not happen so soon as MY is anyway selling well and demand outstrips supply. However, other vehicles which do not have air suspension ( just shocks and coils springs) are substantially more comfortable than MY, so this is something which i fail to understand especially when you are paying north of 50K for the MY.

Reactions: 101dals
Air suspension on MY will major change not just sw update and hence it will not happen so soon as MY is anyway selling well and demand outstrips supply. However, other vehicles which do not have air suspension ( just shocks and coils springs) are substantially more comfortable than MY, so this is something which i fail to understand especially when you are paying north of 50K for the MY.
And with the Ford MachE’s mag lev ride, MY needs to catch up quickly in the ride quality department.

It’s one of the ‘upgrades’ I wonder if you actually want though? My experience with air suspension was Mercedes ML/GLE and it was great….. when it was working. Even aftermarket parts were eye watering $$ and when it came to the dampers, they needed to be done in pairs so doubled the price.

I’ve not driven in a Y, but a few people have commented on hard ride especially for the P, so air would be a good upgrade. It would however open it up to potentially higher maintenance IMO.

It’s one of the ‘upgrades’ I wonder if you actually want though? My experience with air suspension was Mercedes ML/GLE and it was great….. when it was working. Even aftermarket parts were eye watering $$ and when it came to the dampers, they needed to be done in pairs so doubled the price.

I’ve not driven in a Y, but a few people have commented on hard ride especially for the P, so air would be a good upgrade. It would however open it up to potentially higher maintenance IMO.
The MYP ride is excellent, not sure why people complain so much about it. No one in the family ever mentioned anything about being bumpy or not comfortable. To be honest, I love the way it drives. I am running the stock wheels and recently replaced the summer tires with the Michellin all season.

DavidPetr.: ...one man's, family's opinion. It's an ongoing discussion here.
Where do you live? What surfaces do you drive on? What kind of car are you coming from?
There are some roads in LA (Shreveport), TX (DFW), etc. where the road causes the stock LR suspension to go airborne. The jarring slap is severe.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leeroy
It would however open it up to potentially higher maintenance IMO.
Given the way my BMW's repair / maintenance costs ballooned after I had it for four years, I'm all for minimizing the number of potentially breakable parts on my car. Part of what has me psyched about getting a Tesla is that after any initial issues are sorted out, I expect relatively modest maintenance costs, at least until the battery ages out.

Every ICE vehicle I've owned (Honda, VW, MINI, BMW) over the past 25 years has needed significant repair work after the factory warranty expired. While many Tesla components are crazy expensive to repair, I'm hopeful that my long term costs will be better than with my previous ICE vehicles.

DavidPetr.: ...one man's, family's opinion. It's an ongoing discussion here.
Where do you live? What surfaces do you drive on? What kind of car are you coming from?
There are some roads in LA (Shreveport), TX (DFW), etc. where the road causes the stock LR suspension to go airborne. The jarring slap is severe.
I am in the Boston area and coming from X3 35i. Again, I love the handling while driving on regular highways and city streets and will not change the way it rides.

Given the way my BMW's repair / maintenance costs ballooned after I had it for four years, I'm all for minimizing the number of potentially breakable parts on my car. Part of what has me psyched about getting a Tesla is that after any initial issues are sorted out, I expect relatively modest maintenance costs, at least until the battery ages out.

Every ICE vehicle I've owned (Honda, VW, MINI, BMW) over the past 25 years has needed significant repair work after the factory warranty expired. While many Tesla components are crazy expensive to repair, I'm hopeful that my long term costs will be better than with my previous ICE vehicles.
HAHAHA! You didn't list Toyota. 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited, now at 130k miles...ZERO issues. But...it rides...like a TOYOTA (Buick)...

The MYP ride is excellent, not sure why people complain so much about it. No one in the family ever mentioned anything about being bumpy or not comfortable. To be honest, I love the way it drives. I am running the stock wheels and recently replaced the summer tires with the Michellin all season.
Everyone complains about it.

What were you driving before your Model Y?

This is what you can get with air suspension

Attachments

• 20211122_203639.jpg
    20211122_203639.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 20211122_203651.jpg
    20211122_203651.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20211122_203705.jpg
    20211122_203705.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 58