Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at a 2016 70D which has the AP hardware but it is not turned on. They said I have to pay $3500 to turn it on. It has premium package and sound system. It does not have air suspension. Does anyone think this is a must or more a nice to have? I don't live anywhere with steep slopes.

Having driven both I don't notice a difference. I have driven my car with normal coil suspension fully loaded and empty on all sorts of roads, not a big difference. I would get the air suspension for roads or driveways where you might bottom out. Unfortunately here in Los Angeles that's sometimes an issue. If you don't have that issue where you drive, I don't think it's worth the extra money and it's one less thing that can break over time.

I bottom out and/or scrape the front facia on my existing (non Tesla) car sometimes (it's probably ever so slightly slower than a Tesla S) especially in my steep driveway. Last year installed Bridjit curb ramps (highly recommended BTW) for my rolled driveway and they help a lot but I can still scrape occasionally :(

I am looking for a used or CPO Model S to replace my very gasoline thirsty ICE car until the Model 3 comes out and I feel I probably almost have to go with Smart Suspension because of my driveway. Maybe the slightly (but not much) clearance of the Model S along with my Bridjit ramps will do the trick but I don't want to take the chance.

Hopefully they will be reliable. Sounds like most of the experiences here are positive so that's good news.

-Cameron

In addition to being able to raise and lower the car in certain situations, the ride is very smooth with the smart air suspension. I think it complements the very smooth electric motor. Passengers have commented on it.

Great point. Another reason I think I'll hold out for a Smart Air Suspension car (seem to be somewhat harder to find at least in my price range)

I ordered SAS and would never order another Model S without it. It is that good. The usual suspects, naysayers, are those that didn't order it to begin with and maybe have driven a loaner for a day or two but not for daily use driving, if it is possibly in your budget GET IT!!

Definitely will. Appreciate the added support. I was already 90% of the way towards making this a must have and now you guys have helped push me to . Thanks

Many questions here about why air suspension. Here is my case in pictures. Garage looks innocent:) But even with my smart air set to "very high" - as photographed - I have maybe about 0.2 inch clearance. On just "high" it scratched badly enough for a loud "F..k!". Hope this helps.
IMG_7883.JPG IMG_7880.JPG IMG_7881.JPG

Reactions: nico180 and Tam
The usual suspects, naysayers, are those that didn't order it to begin with and maybe have driven a loaner for a day or two but not for daily use driving, if it is possibly in your budget GET IT!!

Guess I am one of those naysayers. I have coils on 19"s. I drove a SAS loaner with 19"s for a week on my normal commute and did not like it at all. Seemed too harsh on pothole ridden city roads (even my husband noticed the difference) My coils handle those much less harshly.

If I bought again, I would skip SAS.

...Seemed too harsh on pothole ridden city roads

I have air suspension and have driven coil loaners several times. The difference is very little but I can certainly feel it.

Coil suspension is sightly bumpier.

If you are a racer who wants to feel the road, coil suspension is for you.

Air suspension ride is softer.

If you want a more quiet, more comfortable ride, Air suspension is for you.

• Informative
Reactions: nico180
I have coils. We took a road trip to the Bay Area from Seattle last fall. I almost never have issues clearing curbs in Washington, but several times in California found myself scraping going in and out of some parking lots. I know that the transitions between streets and curbs are designed differently in CA, and frequently result in some odd crossover points. In WA, I'm still not sure I'd need the ability to adjust ride height most of the time. While I was in CA, I wished I had it a few times each day.

I have SAS with 19"'s. I love the ride! In addition, I love being able to raise the suspension at trouble spots automatically. Personally would not get a Tesla without it. Just my two cents ;-)
One thing I don't understand yet about our new Tesla with SAS
How do you "raise suspension at trouble spots automatically" ?
In particular, I'm thinking about curbs or bumpers when parking.