Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Texas. I tried the micro SD card too, but the holder was so bad it could barely format on the computer.

I've been using a Samsung BAR (or maybe BAR plus) for years, ever since dashcam function was added to my 2018 model 3. Never had issues with it or had to replace it. I think it's a 32gb or 64gb model, I don't remember. I keep my music on a separate flash drive. (Both connected through small USB hub to single port)

To be fair I rarely park in the sun, but when I do I have cabin overheat protection enabled. Do you not use it? Not sure why else you would have overheating issues.

Edit: somehow hit reply on wrong post lol

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jebinc
I've been using a Samsung BAR (or maybe BAR plus) for years, ever since dashcam function was added to my 2018 model 3. Never had issues with it or had to replace it. I think it's a 32gb or 64gb model, I don't remember. I keep my music on a separate flash drive. (Both connected through small USB hub to single port)

To be fair I rarely park in the sun, but when I do I have cabin overheat protection enabled. Do you not use it? Not sure why else you would have overheating issues.

Edit: somehow hit reply on wrong post lol
Yes, I always have cabin overheat protection on.

Reactions: jebinc
I'm thinking dual automotive Ethernet (one pair each) at Gigabit rates and separate power lines due to redundancy and power requirements.
According to Drew on the latest Munro video, they have a gigabit Ethernet loop, single pair (each way), such that if one connection is lost, communications can flow the other way. Power is separate (automotive power is too noisy). And it isn't really Ethernet either. It is a synchronized TDMA protocol, more like token-ring, so that they can have known latency and precise packet ordering.

They also mentioned that because of the increased bandwidth, they can dump tons more diagnostic info onto the bus, and an engineer or tech only needs to plug into one bus, as opposed to multiple CAN busses.

By going to 48V, they eliminated a bunch of heat sinks (1/16 the heat losses). I really want to see ingeerix's new video on the power conversion board walkthough when he gets around to it. Everything is shrunk down due to 48V, the "fuse" area is a lot smaller for instance.

The latest MunroLive video was finally what I’ve wanted to hear since the Nov30 event. Technical info, although very general, gave enough information about the design.

- 48V or 12V jumping using a detect and switch circuit. Drops 48V to 12V. The one guy confirmed there’s a 12V battery (he said it super fast).
- small motors are still 12V. No big deal. Elon said window motors were one thing still 12V. There’s not enough 48V choices.
- audio via etherloop with potential sound cancelling. Did tesla make a tiny 48V Ethernet to audio amplifier for every speaker?
- Ethernet gigabit using TDMA. (I don’t know enough about this, but it’s used for synchronizing, etc.)
- steer by wire motors in the front are half of what the rack needs for peak force. I hope the motors are easily serviceable in the event of a failure!
- Tesla can use the same machine for the front casting as they do for the Y. Only the rear casting uses the 9000 ton machine. Good news for not needing something crazy huge for the Tesla Corolla.
- Software licensing isn’t happening because of their focus on making it happen in the first place. You can’t license what’s not done.
- the black door rings are powder coated. It’s still paint, but super durable.
- motors are true 800V powertrain with battery splitting for charging at 400V (probably already known)

48V or 12V jumping using a detect and switch circuit. Drops 48V to 12V. The one guy confirmed there’s a 12V battery (he said it super fast).
That isn't what I heard. I heard that it detects the voltage you hook up and if it is 12v it boosts it up to 48v to "jump" start the vehicle. (Edit: he says that here.) (I didn't hear anything about a 12v battery.) Edit 2: At this point he points at the converter that takes the 12v from a battery hooked to the jump posts and ups it to 48v to jump start the Cybertruck.

- small motors are still 12V. No big deal. Elon said window motors were one thing still 12V. There’s not enough 48V choices.
Again, not what I heard, I thought they mentioned that even the window motors were updated to 48v. (edit: I didn't hear anything specifically about this, other than all of the motors had to be redone.)

Guess I'll have to listen to it again.

Last edited:
Also, interesting that rather than have gromets in the "firewall" for harnesses to go through they are mounting the controllers in holes, so they have a wet side and dry side on the controller board.

And they detect the mass of what you are towing and increase the regen power available to account for that and recapture as much energy as possible.

Reactions: JusRelax
- audio via etherloop with potential sound cancelling. Did tesla make a tiny 48V Ethernet to audio amplifier for every speaker?

Yeah that's what I wondered too. He pointed to the front controller board and said something about "here's the audio amplifier", but there's no way an audio amp would fit on that board.

The sound cancelling was awesome. They have microphones around the car and use that to input sound into the speakers for active noise cancelling. Does anyone else do that? Does any other Tesla do that?

- Ethernet gigabit using TDMA. (I don’t know enough about this, but it’s used for synchronizing, etc.)

I'm having a heck of a time trying to find protocol specs for Automotive Ethernet. I don't know if the TDMA-like thing is a Tesla thing or part of the standard.

- motors are true 800V powertrain with battery splitting for charging at 400V (probably already known)

The part I was having trouble understanding is that they said that things like the heat pump compressor motor would run at 400V or 800V. I guess when the car is charging at 400V, it still needs to run some HV components and thus they would also need to work at 400V. Which is pretty wild. He did make a point of stating that the power electronics for such motors use VFDs and so can handle any voltage normally anyways.

The part I was having trouble understanding is that they said that things like the heat pump compressor motor would run at 400V or 800V. I guess when the car is charging at 400V, it still needs to run some HV components and thus they would also need to work at 400V. Which is pretty wild. He did make a point of stating that the power electronics for such motors use VFDs and so can handle any voltage normally anyways.
Exactly, when they split the pack in half, the vehicle only has 400v to operate the HV systems. (HVAC, DC-DC, etc.) and this is where Tesla's design is better than what GM did, where they run in parallel normally and switch to series, 800v, only for charging. But all of their HV loads only support 400v, so GM has issues with keeping the two halves of the battery in balance, as the AC compressor is only drawing from one of the two halfs of the battery pack while charging at 800v. I heard rumor that they have to occasionally spin down the AC compressor, slowing charging, switch it to the other half of the pack and then spin it back up, but I don't know if that is true. Same would apply to their DC-DC converter. (Sounds like a nightmare to me, but they saved some money by having all the HV loads only operate at 400v.)

I was surprised that they said that the DC-DC converter only supplies 3kW of 48v power. They have two accessory power ports rated for 2.4kW/each, so obviously you can't use them at full power at the same time. (I'm assuming they are 48v ports and not 120v/240v AC ports.)

• Informative
I was surprised that they said that the DC-DC converter only supplies 3kW of 48v power. They have two accessory power ports rated for 2.4kW/each, so obviously you can't use them at full power at the same time. (I'm assuming they are 48v ports and not 120v/240v AC ports.)
The accessory power ports are 120V not 48V. There are two inside and the two in the bed. That’s the four outlets plus the 50amp 240v plug.

There no reason to have a 48V port. Not yet. But if that’s true, why did they say that it detects jumping at 48v or 12v and smart switches?

And 120v is no good to jump anybody unless you have a jump start battery. So, there’s some piece of the puzzle missing.

I could have sworn that Elon said they had 5kw of 48V power for the three steering motors (and maybe more). Did he misspeak? Is it 3kw or 5kw, not that it really matters.

That isn't what I heard. I heard that it detects the voltage you hook up and if it is 12v it boosts it up to 48v to "jump" start the vehicle. (Edit: he says that here.) (I didn't hear anything about a 12v battery.) Edit 2: At this point he points at the converter that takes the 12v from a battery hooked to the jump posts and ups it to 48v to jump start the Cybertruck.

Again, not what I heard, I thought they mentioned that even the window motors were updated to 48v. (edit: I didn't hear anything specifically about this, other than all of the motors had to be redone.)

You might be right. I may be misremembering that in Elon’s first videos with Sandy, I thought Elon said the window motors were 12V. I’ll have to see if he said that. It may be inaccurate as I would trust the engineering team to get details right compared to the CEO of the corporation.

The accessory power ports are 120V not 48V. There are two inside and the two in the bed. That’s the four outlets plus the 50amp 240v plug.
Are you sure? I'm talking about the two 2.4kW accessory ports that are listed as being in the Frunk and on the Roof, not the Powershare AC outlets listed in the bed and the cab. Ok, they call them "Power Feeds", not accessory ports:

1702339509160.png

There no reason to have a 48V port. Not yet.
Um, what? o_O No reason to have power available for accesories?

I'm assuming that the Power Feed on the roof is used for the light bar. The one in the Frunk would probably make sense for a winch.

There is no 12v accessory port, so I assume there is no 12v system for anything but the trailer. I assume there is 48v available in various locations for accessories. (Though most are probably less than the two 2.4kW Power Feed ports that you can turn on/off on the screen.)

Yeah that's what I wondered too. He pointed to the front controller board and said something about "here's the audio amplifier", but there's no way an audio amp would fit on that board.
Why not? Audio amps are single chip and hid under a heat sink. Etherloop + power isn't going to run to individual speakers.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to find protocol specs for Automotive Ethernet. I don't know if the TDMA-like thing is a Tesla thing or part of the standard.
The physical layer is standard. They are probably moding the transport/ protocol stack for determinism, which is a lit easier in this point to point system vs multipoint.

AC compressor is just a three phase motor fed by itzs inverter. As long as the back-ENF is low enoigh and the parts are 800V rated, it can run at 400V or 800V, no problem.

I could have sworn that Elon said they had 5kw of 48V power for the three steering motors (and maybe more). Did he misspeak? Is it 3kw or 5kw, not that it really matters.
I've heard 5 HP (3.7 kW) for all combined.

There is no 12v accessory port, so I assume there is no 12v system for anything but the trailer. I assume there is 48v available in various locations for accessories. (Though most are probably less than the two 2.4kW Power Feed ports that you can turn on/off on the screen.)
Yah, need a USB-C to 12V dongle.
Trailer node likely makes 12V compatible feeds for lights as well as the 14V max voltage and/or current controlled brake feed.

• Helpful
I wonder where this 48V battery is? I haven’t seen it in any of the videos.

Doesn’t seem like it would be good design necessarily since you’d only be able to do it for a limited time, but a 48V battery could provide plenty of 48V surge power.

Has anyone heard about implementation other than my rambling (likely incorrect) about it being potentially 22 4680 cells 11s2p (this was only to make the 1366 number make sense, could be a garbage number, and it only works out to 40V nominal (46V max) too, not to mention various other issues)? Anyway 2kWh of lithium-ion cells would have plenty of surge power.

The latest MunroLive video was finally what I’ve wanted to hear since the Nov30 event. Technical info, although very general, gave enough information about the design.

- 48V or 12V jumping using a detect and switch circuit. Drops 48V to 12V. The one guy confirmed there’s a 12V battery (he said it super fast).
My Bad. I twisted the logic in my head. The 12V battery he is referring to is the one in the non-CT.

It makes sense that all motors are 48V. My brain is just broken thinking about CT.