Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Lucid Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is false. What they do, like all oppressive governments, is in the name of power, nothing more. "Atheism" is simply the lack of belief, it's not a movement, philosophy, form of government, or, obviously, religion. They'll just as quickly kill an atheist if they see them as a threat.

It is not false.

Communism most certainly is an atheist movement.

Muslim dictatorships will kill Muslims if they see them as a threat.

As have Christian dictatorships in the past.

Reactions: bkp_duke
As someone who lived in China I can say that day to day I felt in many, practical down to earth real life ways freer than living in USA. As a European I find USA to be incredibly lacking in freedom in ways that matter to me. I am not talking hypothetical or spiritual or political, just the everyday things that actually affect me. Of course China is doing terrible things to restrict political freedoms and I really think it's the primary thing that is actually preventing their ascendency in the world but they can't see that. But the endless drumming in of the idea that USA is a land of freedom it's just not really true. In its own way it can feel just as repressive as many other places. What any of this has to do with lucid motors I have no idea. Elon musk has (much like the Chinese gouvernement) lost his way and gone into some kind madness(as have leaders and ex leaders of other Western governments) but I don't let that stop me enjoy my car.

Reactions: kbM3 and tivoboy
Even after their recent capital raise, they think they only have enough money for about another year of operations.

They only had a gross loss of ~$185,000 per vehicle delivered this quarter. 🤣

1677104463260.png

They say that they have the capacity to build 34,000/year, but they are only planning to build 10-14k in 2023. (And they have "reservations" for 28k.)

Even after their recent capital raise, they think they only have enough money for about another year of operations.

They only had a gross loss of ~$185,000 per vehicle delivered this quarter. 🤣

View attachment 910169

They say that they have the capacity to build 34,000/year, but they are only planning to build 10-14k in 2023. (And they have "reservations" for 28k.)
It amazes me how people just assume new EV startups can succeed because Tesla did.

I believe someone pointed out Models S, 3, X & Y all had positive gross profit after their second quarter of production. Even a small gross loss for Lucid would be bad at this point, but $185k per car? That loss seems insurmountable!

• Net loss narrowed from Q3 $670M to Q4 $473M
  • 3,493 vehicles produced in Q4, up 53 percent sequentially
  • 7,180 vehicles produced in 2022, exceeding annual production guidance of 6,000 to 7,000 vehicles
  • Q4 revenue of over $257M and annual revenue of over $608M
  • Ended the quarter with approximately $4.9B total liquidity
  • 2023 production guidance of 10,000 to 14,000 vehicles
  • Over 28,000 retail reservations, 100k Saudi Government reservations.

Last edited:
  • Net loss narrowed from Q3 $670M to Q4 $473M
  • 3,493 vehicles produced in Q4, up 53 percent sequentially
  • 7,180 vehicles produced in 2022, exceeding annual production guidance of 6,000 to 7,000 vehicles
  • Q4 revenue of over $257M and annual revenue of over $608M
  • Ended the quarter with approximately $4.9B total liquidity
  • 2023 production guidance of 10,000 to 14,000 vehicles
  • Over 28,000 retail reservations, 100k Saudi Government reservations.
They have the reservations, they need to produce more. Anything to get that loss per vehicle into a gain.
They also should build a 1' longer version for people with professional drivers, and have it start at $100k. Can be used for Saudi taxis, rich people in China, airport limos in Europe and USA. Something Tesla has not done, leaving a slight niche for Lucid.

They have the reservations, they need to produce more. Anything to get that loss per vehicle into a gain.
Do they really need to make more? I think they have about 5 months worth of inventory right now. (It might be smaller than that, as they are starting to ship cars internationally.)

But they are having supplier issues, apparently they can't get the parts to make the configurations that people actually want to be. (They mention problems with the "stealth" parts multiple times during the call.)

Peter repeatedly said that production is no longer a bottleneck. Their bottlenecks are part supplies and willing buyers.

Do they really need to make more? I think they have about 5 months worth of inventory right now. (It might be smaller than that, as they are starting to ship cars internationally.)

But they are having supplier issues, apparently they can't get the parts to make the configurations that people actually want to be. (They mention problems with the "stealth" parts multiple times during the call.)

Peter repeatedly said that production is no longer a bottleneck. Their bottlenecks are part supplies and willing buyers.
So, when Tesla had these kinds of supplier issues they just said, ‘Fine, we’ll make it ourselves.’

Next, make a better product then you’ll have more people who want it.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

So, when Tesla had these kinds of supplier issues they just said, ‘Fine, we’ll make it ourselves.’
Supply chain is in worse shape today. And Tesla often simply removes the part (radar, passenger lumbar, ultrasonics and on and on).

Next, make a better product then you’ll have more people who want it.
Lucid is a better product in many ways. More range, more power, faster charging, higher end materials, etc. But you have to be able to market. I've said for years Rawlinson has no clue when it comes to marketing, either targeting or promotion.

Musk's ability to sell almost 2m near-identical cars at 50k+ ASP is absolutely unprecedented. Then on top of that he has people lining up to pay $15k for FSD!

Lucid targeted the high end German sedan customer. They went the opposite way of Tesla's spartan one-size-fits-all approach, emphasizing luxury/comfort with lots of configurations/options. This requires more parts from more suppliers. It also means that even at the planned 30k cars/year he would buy many of these parts in low thousands or even hundreds of units. It's one thing to spend R&D and tooling to "make it yourself" at 100k/year (S/X) or 1m++/year (3/Y), but financial suicide to do all that for 2k units per year.

Plus they positioned as the "Mercedes of EVs" -- but funding delays meant the real Mercedes was already selling EQS by the time Lucid shipped.

If Lucid changed to NACS Tesla charge port and cut a deal with Tesla for accessing SuperChargers, and can reduce the cost by $20K then I am sure they can double their sales overnight.
From 1000 - 2000? LOL. Smooth talking CEO's with no track record of success (Allegedly says he was chief engineer of the model S) are a recipe for disaster IMHO.