Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There still isn't a single owner review or first look at a Rivian R1T anywhere on the internet as far as I can tell.

I don't think they are delivering trucks to non-employees yet, which seems hard to believe to me. Maybe they are still stuck at 1.5 trucks produced per day?
I guess the handful of "real" owners can't be bothered to post a YouTube review. Lol

If this poll taken at rivianforums is correct it means Rivian will deliver ~550 trucks between now and Feb 28,2022. Rivian customer service reps delays are due to parts shortages.
Where they blindside by chip shortages? Or is Samsung not delivering 2170s?

1637739064176.png

Seeing how they still aren't delivering customer trucks yet, I'd wager they discovered some issues with the production line while making the employee trucks and are now retooling and reworking the lines a bit, thus the delays. The initial run rate of 1.5 trucks per day pointed to obvious problems.

Hopefully they get it all worked out soon, as Rivian has a huge first mover opportunity here in the EV truck space. It would be a shame if they squandered it.

Reactions: KJD
I know a few years ago when they were in Austin at the Circuits of America, They were always talking to themselves that second morning trying to be hush hush. They had a tape measure and was measuring the height of the wheel well from the carpet. It was kind of a weird feeling as if they were attempting to hide things. Funny thing is they never had anything for any of the reservation holders to drive around. E-tron was there, Chevy was there and a couple others allowing people to take a drive. I really thought they would be much further along after watching Long Way Up I did buy into the stock with robinhood but I'm down $80. I am up $50 from my 6 shares of Ford. Who would have thought.

Honestly I'm a little surprised the news of these huge production delays haven't tanked the stock today, I don't think the market seems to care whether Rivian delivers anything or not!

They obviously have a great truck designed, the First Ride demos all went very well and the trucks performed great on the Long Way Up. I think they are just having initial production woes, which isn't too surprising since volume production is very hard.

Reactions: msm859
Honestly I'm a little surprised the news of these huge production delays haven't tanked the stock today, I don't think the market seems to care whether Rivian delivers anything or not!

They obviously have a great truck designed, the First Ride demos all went very well and the trucks performed great on the Long Way Up. I think they are just having initial production woes, which isn't too surprising since volume production is very hard.
Guess most people assumed there would be delays since just about every other manufacturer has experienced delays.

If this poll taken at rivianforums is correct it means Rivian will deliver ~550 trucks between now and Feb 28,2022. Rivian customer service reps delays are due to parts shortages.
Where they blindside by chip shortages? Or is Samsung not delivering 2170s?

View attachment 736731
Rivian's November 1 S-1/A filing added a new sentence:
By the end of 2021, we intend to produce approximately 1,200 R1Ts and 25 R1Ss and deliver approximately 1,000 R1Ts and 15 R1Ss.
That was still in the Prospectus (424B4) filed 11/12/21 and represents official company guidance until they change it.

They produced 56 R1Ts from 9/14 through 10/22. They then produced 124 R1Ts in nine days to reach 180 on 10/31. Continuing that late October pace would put them at 1020 on New Year's Eve.

I don't think they planned to continue that ~14 truck per day (20/weekday?) pace, though. Auto production lines are designed for ~60 second takt time. That's roughly 500 cars per shift, or ~120k/year per shift. I figure Rivian built a "short line", with multiple steps per station and a takt time of several minutes. But even that would be 100-200 vehicles per shift.

IMHO they ran one car at a time the first 5+ weeks, with engineers carefully following each car through each station. Then in late October they ran continuous, either in short bursts or for a full shift but with one car every ~5 slots instead of one car every slot.

I consider these early trucks to be Manufacturing Verification Builds (MVBs). OEMs historically built a few hundred MVBs on the real production line 6-9 months before the start of mass production. They let employees use them as daily drivers to uncover production line problems. They never sell MVBs, instead cannibalizing or crushing them when the program ends. It only takes a few days to build the MVBs, then they shut the line down and use the 6-9 months to fix manufacturing problems the employees find. While this seems like a huge waste of time, historically there were good logistical and accounting reasons behind it.

Tesla instead sold pre-production cars to employees and friendly investor/board member types, fixing problems on the fly. Rivian seemed to be following Tesla's approach. But these delays are a sign they changed course. I don't see them delivering another 800+ R1Ts to employees this year, so the original plan must have included end-customer deliveries next month. We don't know what caused the change. Maybe supply chain, maybe some severe line problems cropped up, maybe something else.

Rivian doesn't have any secret sauce to fix towing range. Owners can spend $ and buy the bigger battery pack.

Rated 315 miles got actual 118 miles (63% range loss). 50% is still a good guesstimate for towing in any gas or electric vehicle.

What the heck happen where they wanted to review the footage from Rich when it took it for a drive off of their pre planned course?

There's something going on here and it screams Nikola. They have many years into this. Why are they still somewhat secretive on things?

• Disagree
Reactions: Mengy and RobStark
What the heck happen where they wanted to review the footage from Rich when it took it for a drive off of their pre planned course?

There's something going on here and it screams Nikola. They have many years into this. Why are they still somewhat secretive on things?

Nikola doesn't have anything.

There are hundreds of R1Ts in the wild.

Doug DeMuro took one off-roading up a very difficult hill without any supervision. Dozens of auto journalist have test driven one. Motor Trend drove a couple across the United States. Hundreds of regular customers have test driven one.

Rivian is nothing like Nikola.

If there is a "Nikola" Semi that gets on the road it will be built by third party using third party technology.

Reactions: Doggydogworld

Unlike Nikola, Rivian has an actual product. But you are correct, Rivian is being very close lipped and secretive, and that is worrying. They are behaving like they have something to hide, and actions like that do raise some concerns in my opinion.

Every automaker has something to hide.

Like prototypes and future plans.

Many times automakers will invite journalist to test vehicle A and they have vehicles B and C there. Testing and/or to look at but not drive or take pictures of. To get them excited about the future of the brand.

FYI, if you backwards count 1m from 2030 with a 50% CAGR you get to 38k next year.